: 13 Mar 2023
17 / April / 2023
FHI 360 is a nonprofit human development organization dedicated to improving lives in lasting ways by advancing integrated, locally driven solutions. Our staff includes experts in Health, Education, Nutrition, Environment, Economic Development, Civil Society, Gender, Youth, Research and Technology; creating a unique mix of capabilities to address today's interrelated development challenges. FHI 360 serves more than 60 countries, all 50 U.S. states and all U.S. territories.
We are currently seeking qualified candidates for the position of Technical Officer, HIV Prevention and Knowledge Management to be based in Bangkok, Thailand.
The EpiC Thailand project seeks to improve access to, and uptake of, community-based health services for members of key populations at risk of HIV infection, in order to reduce risk behaviors and increase health-seeking for HIV testing, treatment and/or HIV pre-exposure prophylaxis. Transgender women (TG) are a population of particular interest to the EPIC project, as these individuals are often at higher risk for HIV infection but have limited access to, and lower uptake of, appropriate services to protect their health. The Technical Officer position provides responsive, high-quality technical leadership, manages technical assistance, and ensures the quality of HIV/AIDS prevention, care, and treatment interventions conducted by community-based implementing partners and focusing specifically on TG women (including TG sex workers) and technical assistance to champion organization-wide knowledge sharing, so that know-how, information and experience generated through the EpiC Thailand project are shared inside and (as appropriate) outside the organization with clients, partners, and stakeholders.
- Participate in the design, implementation and monitoring of community-level HIV prevention, testing and treatment interventions targeting TG/TGSW, in close collaboration with EPIC Thailand staff.
- Work with project officers to provide targeted technical assistance, in collaboration with EpiC technical partners, for community-based organizations providing outreach services for TG/TGSW with the goal of increasing coverage and service uptake among these populations.
- Conduct regular field review of service delivery for TG/TGSW populations and provide targeted feedback for quality improvement purposes.
- Work with the M&E team to regularly monitor and evaluate outcome of TG/TGSW interventions and progress toward expected programmatic targets. Participate in high-frequency data reviews for TG/TGSW partners with relevant project and technical officers.
- Provide technical inputs in term of developing research protocol related to transgender people including implementation and participant enrollment.
- Support the TO-HIV Prevention for the development, testing and implementation of communications and demand generation strategies and activities targeting TG/TGSW audiences including support the development, implementation, and monitoring SBCC strategies and activities targeting key populations in line with the EpiC Thailand SBCC strategic plan and in close collaboration with EpiC Thailand staff.
- Represent EpiC Thailand in meetings with donors, stakeholders, and at key regional and international academic and professional for Key populations, including regional technical meetings or consultations and community events such as IDAHOT.
- Collaborate with other technical specialists and stakeholders beyond the project to ensure coordination of HIV prevention, testing and treatment strategies and activities targeting TG/TGSW populations and to avoid duplication and overlap.
- Remain informed on regional and global best practices regarding HIV prevention, testing and treatment for TG/TGSW populations and disseminate information and resources to EPIC Thailand staff and partners as appropriate.
- Liaise with project/technical staff and implementing partners to proactively identify opportunities for project documentation. Work with the M&E Unit to monitor and share data illustrating the organization’s progress in achieving its strategic objectives.
- Collaborate with EpiC and Corporate Communications teams on preparation, development, and dissemination of all project documentation materials, including success stories, blog posts, video documentaries etc. Coordinate on behalf of EpiC in instances of project documentation by external parties.
- Coordinate preparation, review/approvals process, and submission of materials on behalf of EpiC Thailand and implementing partners for presentation at academic conferences and/or publication in peer-reviewed journals.
- Provide technical review and inputs for knowledge management products (academic publications, technical briefs etc.)
- Prepare and submit regular narrative and quantitative reports on TG/TGSW and assigned activities for inclusion in quarterly and annual reporting.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Establishes good working relationships and collaborative arrangements with community partners, donors, governments, and other organizations to help achieve the goals of the organization and the project.
- Builds relationships with non-affiliated public and private-sector treatment, care and support service organizations.
- Interacts with national government, non-government organizations and international donor agencies to ensure the development of quality HIV/AIDS intervention and research programs.
- Represents FHI 360 and makes presentations at professional meetings and conferences.
- Communicates with stakeholders to keep them informed of the work of the organization and identifies changes required to ensure high quality programming.
- Liaises with in-country GFATM/WHO/UNAIDS/ UNICEF/ UNDP and other relevant agencies to share information and to stimulate joint design and implementation of country level interventions.
- Provides regular technical mentorship and capacity building to program staff, implementing agencies, government agencies, other organizations with emphasis on expanding coverage and increasing service uptake (and service quality) for TG/TGSW populations.
- Program planning and administration: ensures that the programs and services offered by the organization contribute to the organization's mission and reflect the priorities of the program.
- Collaborates with other FHI 360 Technical and Program officers to develop mutually reinforcing comprehensive interventions that complement FHI’s regional and global strategies.
- Markets FHI 360 capabilities and prepare proposals for funding. Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Develops reports, presentations, publications and other materials to a high technical standard.
- Provides input into the development and maintenance of the EPIC Thailand program management systems and tools.
- Contributes to the annual work planning and budgeting processes.
- Liaises with and supports partners working on SBCC activities.
- Ensures application of FHI 360 policies and procedures to EPIC Thailand activities.
EXPERTISE AND COMPLEXITY:
- Comfortable working with minimal supervision, and ability to manage high volume workflow.
- Sensitive to cultural differences and understanding of the political and ethical issues in assigned areas, e.g. reproductive health, family planning, HIV infection.
- Knowledge of HIV/AIDS, reproductive health, family planning, public health, international development, and/or social science research. Specialist knowledge and/or experience working with TG populations strongly preferred.
- Financial management, research, report writing and/or analyses.
- Experience in public relations/knowledge management and/or news media including preparing briefs, press releases, synthesis reports etc. for external audiences.
- Written and verbal communication skills, and editing skills.
- Relevant language skills preferred.
- Relevant computer software skills.
- Resourceful through technology, research skills, and relationship building among several organization teams and units and professional organizations to resolve problems and initiate enhancements.
TYPE AND NATURE OF CONTACTS:
- Routine coordination with FHI 360 employees and consultants, on-site and in the field and resolve problem situations with tact.
- Represent, as assigned, selected EPIC Thailand activities and other organizations including donors, and international and local partners.
- Interact with implementing partners, and FHI 360 colleagues working on LINAKGES Thailand.
SUPERVISORY AND BUDGET RESPONSIBILITY
WORKING CONDITIONS AND PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS:
Usual office working conditions; ability to travel domestically at least 30%.
BS/BA or MS/MA in public health or related field, and 3 - 5 years relevant experience with international development programs and field experience especially in the field of HIV/AIDS, transgender health and rights and/or sexual orientation/gender identity.
This job description summarizes the main duties of the job. It neither prescribes nor restricts the exact tasks that may be assigned to carry out these duties. This document should not be construed in any way to represent a contract of employment. Management reserves the right to review and revise this document at any time.