INTERNATIONAL JUSTICE MISSION
Job Title: Senior Manager, Public Engagement
Level and Grade: Grade 8
Job Type: Permanent-Full Time
Reporting Manager: Field Office Director
Department: Public Engagement
Office: Bangkok, Thailand
Date: ASAP or Oct 29,2021
International Justice Mission (IJM) is a global organization that protects the vulnerable from violence by partnering with government authorities to rescue victims, bring criminals to justice, restore survivors, and strengthen criminal justice systems so they protect the vulnerable from violence and abuse long-term. IJM is a global team of lawyers, social workers, caseworkers and other professionals. IJM has 17 field offices across the globe, including multiple offices in Southeast Asia.
In Thailand, IJM Foundation provides support to Thai authorities to eliminate forced labor and human trafficking from the Thai fishing and seafood industries. IJM lawyers, caseworkers, social workers, advocates and other professionals support Thai law enforcement, social services, prosecutors and the courts to identify and prosecute cases of forced labor and human trafficking crimes, and restore labor trafficking survivors to safety and strength.
The Senior Manager, Public Engagement provides IJM Thailand with leadership in developing and driving the execution of IJM strategy and programs to activate and catalyze partners, stakeholders, the government and the general public to increase protection for vulnerable migrant workers and to end forced labor, labor abuse and labor trafficking in Thailand. We are looking for a strategic-thinker and experienced leader and manager who is passionate about IJM’s mission to protect the vulnerable from violence and to use the power of the law to protect the vulnerable by strengthening and transforming the way the Thai justice system responds to victims of forced labor and trafficking, especially migrant workers. The Senior Manager, Public Engagement will bring their skills and experience to lead
IJM’s program work in the areas of advocacy, policy reform, partnerships, coalition building, networking, stakeholder and public engagement and mobilization, and communications and media engagement. This position is based in Bangkok, Thailand and may require occasional travel within Thailand and the region. The position reports to the Field Office Director.
Key Result Areas:
The success of this role is measured by the following Key Result Areas:
1. Develop and drive IJM strategy and projects to end forced labor, labor abuse and labor trafficking in Thailand through the use of advocacy, policy reform, partnerships, coalition building, networking, stakeholder and public engagement and mobilization, and communications and media engagement.
2. Identify and development strong relationships and partnerships with other NGOs, influencers, civil society groups, migrant and local community stakeholders, corporates and local businesses, government leaders, academic institutions, and faith groups and networks.
3. Lead, mentor, supervise, manage, and empower the Public Engagement (PE) team staff, including the Senior Associate, Communications and Media; Partnerships Coordinator; and Public Engagement Coordinator.
Roles and Responsibilities:
Leadership and Management
1. Understand IJM’s Global 2030 Vision and Thailand program goals and set a clear vision and strategy for the PE team and PE program work; inspire and support PE team to drive towards that vision.
2. Develop the leadership and professional potential of PE staff, including goal setting, professional development and empowerment, delegating responsibility and assignments, regular feedback and support, and performance management.
3. Foster a team mindset and culture in the office and inspire the team to be effective and efficient and to pursue excellence.
4. Guide the PE team to ensuring strategic external engagements and projects that lead directly to IJM program results.
5. Increase the PE team’s effectiveness, efficiency, and organization by ensuring the PE has strong processes and systems.
6. Serve as a member of the senior leadership and management team of the IJM Thailand office.
Strategy & Knowledge Development & Implementation
1. Develop and execute strategy for engaging with relevant government, civil society, migrant and local community, corporate and local business, academic and church/faith community stakeholders to cultivate their interest, buy-in for program goals, and collaboration opportunities that support IJM program goals.
2. Drive strategy and execution of partnership projects to support the creation of safe and well-paid job opportunities for survivors of forced labor and labor trafficking in Thailand through strategy development with IJM’s Aftercare team and mobilizing and networking with local businesses, companies, foundations, church/faith communities, civil society organizations and other related groups.
3. Oversee the use of short and long-term advocacy and specific campaigns to increase public demand for a well-functioning justice system that works better for vulnerable migrant victims of forced labor, labor trafficking and labor abuse.
4. Collaborate with IJM’s Law Enforcement Development, Legal and Aftercare, and Program Support teams in the development and execution of PE team strategies; provide direct and indirect support to the objectives of these teams.
5. Regularly collaborate and support projects with colleagues in IJM’s other offices and with IJM’s global team.
Networking & Partnership
1. Build relationships of trust and goodwill with NGOs, civil society organizations, migrant and local communities, corporate and local businesses, academic and church/faith communities, and other potential partners identified and turn those relationships into tangible and effective collaboration opportunities and results.
2. Build relationships of trust and goodwill with selected government departments or officials to strengthen justice system resourcing and implementation in forced labor, labor abuse, and labor trafficking cases.
3. Speak effectively, intelligently, credibly, and passionately about IJM’s mission and theory of change and the importance of engaging in the fight against forced labor, labor trafficking and labor abuse to strategic audiences.
4. Lead IJM’s efforts to join with other civil society organizations to create a Thailand CSO coalition against human trafficking, with the goal of CSOs in Thailand joining together with one voice to advocate for improvements and reforms to Thailand’s response to trafficking in persons.
5. Work together with IJM’s Senior Manager, Program Support to identify, develop and successfully implement funded and non-funded partnership projects with NGOs, CSOs or other strategic partners.
6. Lead activities to generate civil society advocacy for the justice system to end forced labor, labor abuse and labor trafficking and increase protection, especially for migrant workers.
7. Identify key platforms for promoting stakeholder engagement with IJM’s program.
8. Represent IJM in stakeholder meetings, conversations, roundtables, industry groups, business sectors, civil society organizations, etc. and work as a bridge-builder and collaborator with NGOs, academics, corporates, educational institutions and public at large.
Training and Development
1. Work together with other IJM teams to develop capacity building strategies, plans and supporting materials as necessary for various government and other audiences.
Research, Program Management and M&E
1. Ensure documentation and timely reports of PE team work, in collaboration with Senior Manager, Program Support and the office’s M&E plan, regarding PE team progress towards targets and goals.
2. Collaborate with the Senior Manager, Program Support and contribute to Quarterly Program Reviews with the rest of IJM’s program teams to identify achievements, opportunities, lessons learned, and areas of improvement.
3. Refine and adapt approaches in program implementation if required in response to feedback, research and insights.
General Accounting & Statutory Compliance
1. Ensure proper management of the PE team budget and finance processes, reviewing staff expenditures and cash requests, and ensuring funds are spent according to IJM’s policies and budget plan.
2. Ensure PE team members comply with all IJM policies, protocols, and directives.
1. This position reports to the Field Office Director, Thailand.
2. This position supervises and line manages the following three positions:
1. Senior Associate, Communications and Media
2. Coordinator, Partnerships
3. Coordinator, Public Engagement
Education & Experience:
1. Master’s level university degree in relevant field, or Bachelor’s degree plus substantial relevant experience.
2. Experience in a management/supervisory capacity.
3. Experience in project development and implementation within the NGO sector, government sector or business sector.
1. In-depth knowledge and experience in advocacy, policy reform, partnerships, coalition building, networking, and/or stakeholder and public engagement and mobilization.
2. Prior knowledge and relationships with key stakeholders related to IJM’s program goals, especially within the NGO sector, government sector, or business sector.
3. Excellent communication skills, including fluency in spoken and written English and Thai. 4. Organization and leadership skills, high attention to detail, exceptional follow through and accountability for results.
5. Strong networking and implementation skills: Able to interact with other professionals to develop strong connections.
6. Strong presentation and public speaking skills.
7. Strategic planning: Able to see the “big picture” and co-ordinate all other activities towards the ultimate goal.
8. Multi-tasking: Able to manage multiple tasks simultaneously and complete each in a timely fashion.
9. Leadership and vision-casting: Able to lead a team towards a specific goal.
10. Goal formation, including clear timelines and tasks: Able to respond to a given problem by setting specific and sequential goals that contribute to the final goal.
11. Analytical skills: Able to visualize, understand, and work towards solutions for complex problems. 12. Proficiency with Microsoft Office applications, particularly Outlook, Word, PowerPoint and Excel.
1. Able to build and maintain good relationships.2. Excellent interpersonal skills, cross-cultural communication, and ability to establish and maintain good working relationships in a multi-ethnic, multi-cultural and multi-disciplinary working environment.
3. Disciplined with priorities, excellent time management and ability to work effectively under deadline pressures.
4. Proven ability to exercise mature and sound judgment, take initiative and produce results.
5. Self-motivated and able to work independently, as well as under supervision and as part of a team.
6. Ability to perform and thrive in an international organization with an international-standard, professional working style and business culture, and work effectively in Thai and other Southeast Asian working styles and business cultures.
7. Flexible, enthusiastic, and willing to receive feedback and learn from others.
8. Exceptionally high level of honesty and integrity. 9. Professional presentation in demeanor and written and oral communication. 10. Passionate commitment to and understanding of IJM Foundation’s mission, vision and values.
This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive list of activities, duties or responsibilities for the position. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice. All positions are required to perform any additional tasks assigned by the supervisor.
Contact : BangkokRecruiting@ijm.org