JOB TITLE: Finance Officer
TEAM/PROGRAMME: Myanmar Education Consortium (MEC)
LOCATION: Bangkok / Mae Sot
Number of Position: 1
Type of Contract: Fixed Term
Supporting MEC Finance team to oversee the financial management of MEC partners in Myanmar-Thailand border areas and other financial support tasks for MEC, as needed. The Finance Officer (MEC) role perform duties in monitoring the flow of all the cash transactions, ensuring their proper entry, verifying the accuracy of financial records, assisting in the report generation, monitoring the key activities of the partners from the finance aspects, procurement process, internal control and recommending process and procedures for improving the financial management of partners in Myanmar-Thailand border areas. The Finance Officer is also responsible to support the day-to-day administration and operation of the MEC staff if/when they are in Thailand.
SCOPE OF ROLE:
Reports to: MEC Finance Coordinator in Yangon
Direct Reports: NIL
Financial Approval: No financial approval
External Representation: Regular contact with MEC partners in Myanmar-Thailand border areas for project budget and financial management, including reporting, detailed explanations of finance policy, regulations, and donor conditions at the partners’ finance team.
Travel: May require travel from time to time
Myanmar Education Consortium (MEC) works with partners to improve education for marginalized children in Myanmar - those who are not fully served by the government system - whether due to access, language, poverty or different forms of exclusion. MEC supports complementary basic education services – community based, faith-based and ethnic education systems - through funding to partners to deliver services and organizational support to build effective organizations. The program promotes inclusive, evidence-based policy dialogue through networking and knowledge sharing. MEC is a multi-donor funded program managed by Save the Children Myanmar.
As a program delivered through partners the Finance Officer will be involved in monitoring the flow of all partners’ cash transactions, ensuring their proper entry, verifying the accuracy of financial reports, assisting the MEC finance team in partners’ report generation, field level activities, procurement processes and control monitoring from finance aspects, and recommending process and procedures for improving the financial procedures and policies.
She/He will also serve as the office liaison support person for MEC staff when they are in Thailand, supporting the day-to-day administration and operation needs of the program and team.
KEY AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY:
- Review partners’ monthly and quarterly financial reports against supporting documents and prepare finding lists and communicate back to partners’ finance focal for action.
- Provide support in preparing and updating finance documents as per the instructions received from the supervisor.
- Maintain, update the financial information of partners and put into MEC filing system for GLACOS data entry for monthly partners expenses.
- Follow up for fund transfers process to partners and to ensure the receiving of fund receipt vouchers as well as documentation for ICR costs.
- To follow up on feedback provided / replies & updated financial reports from partners on monthly basis.
- Making sure to update the proper record keeping system on financial reporting filing together with key documents like final proposal budgets, monthly and quarterly financial reports in donor format by marking sending dates to define as final version.
- Assist Finance Coordinator for budgeting purposes.
- To maintain monitoring sheet for partners’ change requests.
- To organize the Finance quarterly meeting with partners by the support of respective partner focal.
- To ensure the final supporting documents, financial reports and updated partners’ policies are saved to the cloud-based server.
- Participate in partner monitoring visit and update the monitoring check list together with follow up actions.
- Support partners to address compliance requirements of MEC donors (in coordination with the Finance Coordinator).
- Serve as office liaison and support person for MEC staff when they are in Thailand, supporting the day-to-day administration and operation needs of the program and team.
- Assist all financial information and documentation are effectively maintained including all financial templates final approved version and monthly and quarterly financial reports.
- Make sure to comply with all relevant Donor and Save the Children policies and procedures in all aspects to health and safety, security, gender and social inclusion equal opportunities, and other relevant policies and to have clear audit trail.
- Perform others relevant duties assigned by supervisors.
- Ensure that all beneficiaries are receiving ongoing, age-appropriate verbal or written information in relevant languages about Save the Children’s Safeguarding Framework.
- Ensure that Child Safeguarding activities by partners are planned for and supported.
- Provide support to Child Safeguarding Focal Points in MEC and SCI to address and follow up on any reports received from partners.
SCI values are indicated below, and we expect all candidates to align with such values.
- Holds self-accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving results together with children and role modelling Save the Children values
- Holds the team and partners accountable to deliver on their responsibilities – giving them the freedom to deliver in the best way they see fit, providing the necessary development to improve performance and applying appropriate consequences when results are not achieved
- Creates a managerial environment in-country to lead, enable and maintain our culture of child safeguarding
- Sets ambitious and challenging goals for self and team, takes responsibility for own personal development and encourages team to do the same.
- Widely shares personal vision for Save the Children, engages and motivates others.
- Future oriented, thinks strategically and on a global scale.
- Builds and maintains effective relationships, with own team, colleagues, members, donors and partners.
- Values diversity sees it as a source of competitive strength.
- Approachable, good listener, easy to talk to
- Develops and encourages new and innovative solutions.
- Willing to take disciplined risks.
- Honest, encourages openness and transparency.
- Always acts in the best interests of children.
QUALIFICATIONS, EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant financial management field or any professional qualification in accounting.
- At least one-year professional working experience
- Good English communication skills, both written and verbal; Myanmar and Sgaw-Karen language skills preferred
- Excellent personal organizational skills, including time management, and ability to meet deadlines and work under pressure.
- Ability to work in a conflict sensitive environment. Experience working in Myanmar-Thailand Border program will be an advantage.
- Willingness to travel to field offices and work in difficult environment according to travel requirements
- Ability to work collaboratively with colleagues across the organization developing effective working relationships to deliver outstanding results for children
- Commitment to and understanding of Save the Children’s aims, values and principles.
- Willingness and capability to comply with all relevant Save the Children policies and procedures with respect to health and safety, security, equal opportunities, and other relevant policies, including the Child Safeguarding Policy.
*This position is based in Thailand and the candidate will need to have an official right to work in Thailand.
Additional job responsibilities
The duties and responsibilities as set out above are not exhaustive and the role holder may be required to carry out additional duties within reasonableness of their level of skills and experience.
The role holder is required to carry out the duties in accordance with the SCI Equal Opportunities and Diversity policies and procedures.
We need to keep children safe so our selection process, which includes rigorous background checks, reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse.
Safeguarding our Staff:
The post holder is required to carry out the duties in accordance with the SCI anti-harassment policy.
Health and Safety
The role holder is required to carry out the duties in accordance with SCI Health and Safety policies and procedures.
Interested and qualified candidates are invited to apply an Application Letter and Curriculum Vitae to the link below:
Closing Date: 23rd September 2021
User Guide for Applicants at SCI: https://myanmar.savethechildren.net/sites/stcico.myanmar.savethechildren.net/files/taleo_applicants_user_guide.pdf
Candidates are also requested to mention in the applications if there is, blood/marriage relationships with the existing Save the Children employees. No requirement of photo or copy of certificates and only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Remark: For those who failed to mention or incorrectly mention the apply position title, Programme/Sector name and location in their applications, we will consider those as disqualify and we will not consider for short list.
02 684 1286 - 8 ext: 608
เจ้าหน้าที่ประจำสำนักงาน / Officer