(Full-Time Employee Position)
USAID Clean Power Asia Program, Bangkok
Abt Associates, a global leader in technical assistance, program implementation and international development, seeks a qualified individual to fulfill the position of Accountant for the USAID Clean Power Asia program, reporting to the Director of Operations. This position is full-time and based in Bangkok, Thailand. While there are no nationality requirements for applicants, neither allowances nor relocation will be considered or offered to the successful candidate. Candidates must be legally eligible to work in Thailand without sponsorship. This position may require occasional travel and regular work outside of the office that is exempt from overtime pay. The position reports to the Director of Operations and will be filled at the FSN 9 or 10 level; reporting relationship to existing project finance staff/operations team to be determined based on final team composition.
The United States Agency for International Development (USAID) Clean Power Asia program is a multi-year U.S. government-funded initiative that supports governments and the private sector in the Lower Mekong countries of Thailand, Cambodia, Lao PDR, and Vietnam to scale up investment in grid-connected renewable energy (RE). The program provides assistance and expertise in energy planning and effective policy, regulatory, and technical environment for low-emissions growth in the power sector, while simultaneously attracting public- and private-sector investment in RE development.
The Accountant will manage financial record-keeping activities, bank accounts and cash flow to ensure that sufficient funds are available for effective implementation of the USAID Clean Power Asia activity. Additionally, the Accountant will apply adequate and appropriate internal controls to meet generally recognized accounting standards and ensure compliance with USAID regulations and Abt Associates’ policies and Standard Operating Procedures. The ideal candidate will bring expertise to all accounting duties for the activity, including implementation of accounting systems, tax tracking software, and internal and external financial reporting. Specific responsibilities and reporting structure to be finalized based on experience and team composition.
- Manage all program bookkeeping, bank accounts and cash flow; Lead or Assist with monthly payroll for local staff.
- Ensure that all financial transactions meet USAID, Abt Associates, and Thai government requirements.
- Manage recording of financial data in the project accounting software and ensure the remote office voucher and associated documentation is submitted on time to Abt HQ.
- Maintain project bank accounts and ensure proper monthly bank reconciliations.
- Compile supporting documents for each invoice and payment request, ensuring that files are clear and complete.
- Ensure proper retention of financial records in accordance with USG requirements, both hard-copy and soft-copy files.
- Ensure subcontractors and project expenditures including procurement comply with USAID regulations; ensure timely submission and processing of invoices from vendors, subcontractors, and consultants.
- Compile monthly and quarterly financial reporting including field reports on all accounts, bank reconciliations, payment and reporting of VAT.
- Periodically reconciles/balances accounting records. Monitors expenditures against the project budget. Reports on cost variances and budget deviations.
- Maintains accounts receivable files, obligations, and liquidations.
- Enters all financial transactions from a wide variety of documents into database/spreadsheet.
- Gathers data from own or supported project records regarding mission, program, and projects for preliminary analysis leading to formulation of budget requirements.
- Relevant degree and experience:
- Bachelor’s degree and 6+ years related professional experience (FSN 10);
- Bachelor’s degree and 4+ years related professional experience (FSN 9).
- Level 4 English language skills, oral and written. Proficiency in at least one local language of the Lower Mekong countries preferred.
- Demonstrated experience in managing large complex budgets and all associated financial transactions for an entity with annual operating budget of at least $3 million USD and 15 employees.
- Proficient in rules and regulations governing payroll/social security/provident funds/workers compensation/withholdings in Thailand.
- Prior experience developing, finalizing, and submitting half-year and annual corporate tax returns to the Thai Department of Revenue; prior experience filing monthly VAT report and payment; thorough understanding of principles involved with inter-company transfers under OECD regulations.
- Proficiency in QuickBooks and Oracle.
- Previous experience with USAID (and/or other international donors) and knowledge of USAID rules and regulations governing implementation of USAID Contracts desired.
- Detail oriented and willingness to learn. Self-starter comfortable with new procedures. Commitment to the highest standards of financial management.
- Skill in organizing resources and establishing priorities.
- Strong oral, written and presentation skills in English.
- Ability to gather data, compile information and prepare reports.
- Strong computer skills (word processing, graphic programs and excel spread sheets).
Interested candidates may express their interest by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org referencing ACCOUNTANT in the subject line. Deadline for applications is August 31. Applications received after this date will not be considered.
To be considered, your application MUST INCLUDE the following information; failure to provide this information will result in your application being removed from consideration.
- A written expression of interest summarizing your qualifications for the position. The expression of interest must address each of the required qualifications or your application may be considered incomplete.
- CV or resume clearly indicating work/consulting history and either daily consulting rate or annual compensation for each consultancy/position, stated in currency of payment.
- Completed, signed US Federal Form 1420 (EBD) https://www.usaid.gov/forms/aid-1420-17
- Proof of Education/Degree attained (transcript or diploma).
- Proof of annual salary or daily consulting rate as stated in the EBD (note EBD directions and relevance of last three years only). Acceptable forms include employment agreement, pay stubs, employer verification letter.
Due to the volume of anticipated applicants, only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. Interviews will be scheduled as warranted and may be conducted in person or via electronic means. Abt Associates is doing business as Abt Associates Thailand, registered with the Thailand Department of Commerce. Abt Associates is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer committed to fostering a diverse workforce.