(Full-Time Employee Position)
USAID Clean Power Asia Program, Bangkok-based
Abt Associates, a global leader in technical assistance, program implementation and international development, seeks a qualified individual to fulfill the position of Communications Specialist for the USAID Clean Power Asia program, reporting to the Director of Operations. This position is full-time and based in Bangkok, Thailand. While there are no nationality requirements for applicants, it should be noted that neither allowances nor relocation will be considered or offered to the successful candidate. Applicants must be able to begin work on-site within three weeks of acceptance. Candidates requiring sponsorship to work in Thailand are not eligible to apply. This position may require occasional travel and regular work outside of the office that is exempt from overtime pay.
The United States Agency for International Development (USAID) Clean Power Asia program is a multi-year U.S. government-funded initiative that supports governments and the private sector in the Lower Mekong countries of Thailand, Cambodia, Lao PDR, and Vietnam to scale up investment in grid-connected renewable energy (RE). The program provides assistance and expertise in energy planning and effective policy, regulatory, and technical environment for low-emissions growth in the power sector, while simultaneously attracting public- and private-sector investment in RE development.
- Lead the production of technical reports, special reports, factsheets, brochures, and other collateral.
- Design, produce, and disseminate fact sheets, project overviews, topic summaries, weekly newsletters and develop success stories.
- Assist in the production of regular progress reports including quarterly and annual reports and annual work plans.
- Prepare and submit to USAID biweekly Front Office update with details of implementation progress and/or achievement.
- Develop and disseminate a weekly email news digest of carefully curated articles.
- Develop background documents, and toolkits to support communication activities, including social media toolkits for USAID RDMA and event talking points.
- Develop and ensure timely submission of project success stories.
- Lead production of videos as needed.
- Assist with the writing, editing, and design of knowledge products including, communications plans, project progress reports and success stories
- Assist with the tracking of all communications team activities and proposed activities
- Manage regional editorial calendar for knowledge product production and publishing
- Write, edit, and update website content for regional office
- Assist the communications and knowledge team to implement the ALII ESA strategic communications plan
- Assist with stakeholder outreach by planning and writing content for traditional media, social media, and events
- Help in the research, design, coordination, and development of communications materials such as video, web, print, and various other formats
Possible East Africa regional travel may be required.
- Coordinate creation and production of project materials including letterhead, business cards, folders, envelopes, brochures, etc.
- Serve as main communications liaison with USAID’s Development and Outreach Communications team.
- Work with task leads to prepare communication and outreach material, including interviewing experts and/or reviewing and revising text.
- Conceptualize, develop, and produce innovative outreach products.
- Prepare and produce content for monthly electronic newsletter, including drafting articles and all final formatting and edits.
- Preparation and production of briefing materials on the program as needed/requested
- Create and edit PowerPoint presentations, video scripts, and web pages.
- Develop training materials, how-to documents.
- Work with technical experts and other staff to write, edit, and prepare content for various media including printed reports, web pages, web articles, digital stories, webinars etc.
- Manage program website, including posting open jobs, news articles, etc.
- Required: Undergraduate degree in Communications, Journalism, Public Relations or closely related degree.
- Preferred: Master’s degree in Communications Journalism, Public Relations or closely related degree.
- Degree in communications, public relations, language arts, English, international development or related field.
The application must address the following minimum requirements:
- A Bachelor’s (B.A.) degree in the fields of Journalism, English, communication, public relations, international relationships or related is required.
- A minimum of three years of professional level experience in one or more of the following or related fields: public/media relations, journalism, advertising, and/or writing is required.
- Level IV (Fluent) English language, oral and written, is required.
- Demonstrated experience in project and/or communications campaign management
- Website management and/or experience with web based content management systems
- Experience in social media writing and campaign management
- Computer literate in Microsoft Office mandatory
- Knowledge of and experience using graphic/editorial design programs (Adobe Creative Suite. MS Office) a plus
- Minimum five years’ experience in communications strategy development, including, but not limited to: identifying targeted audiences, implementing a marketing and dissemination plan, developing behavior change communications programs, and measuring results of overall communications campaign.
- Previous experience with USAID and knowledge of USAID programs and practices desired
- Previous experience creating and implementing strategic communications strategies, including social media campaigns
- High level of competence in writing and editing reports, training articles, analyses, proposals or other technical communications
- Extensive working knowledge of international development communications initiatives
- Ability to adapt strategic communications principles to a wide variety of external communications challenges
- Experience with database management, Google Drive and web-based programs
- Formatting experience in Constant Contact, MailChimp or other software programs
- Working knowledge of HTML desirable
- Outstanding interpersonal skills and ability to interact with individuals at all levels
- Strong problem solving, analytical and organizational skills
- Excellent communication and writing/editing skills
- Ability to work in multi-cultural environments and build effective working relationships with clients and colleagues
Interested candidates may express their interest by emailing email@example.com referencing Communications Specialist in the subject line. Deadline for applications is Aug 31, 2018. Applications received after this date will not be considered.
To be considered for the position, your emailed application MUST INCLUDE the following information; failure to provide this information will result in your application being removed from consideration.
- A written expression of interest summarizing your qualifications for the position. The expression of interest must address each of the required qualifications or your application may be considered incomplete.
- CV clearly indicating work/consulting history and either daily consulting rate or annual compensation for each consultancy/position, stated in currency of payment.
- Preference will be given to nationals of the Lower Mekong countries and those with immediate availability. No allowances, including relocation, will be available to the successful candidate.
- Writing samples/media products/photos/artworks
If a candidate is selected for an interview, the following documents will be required. While not required as part of the initial application, Abt appreciates candidates who chose to submit these documents as part of the application package:
- US Federal Form 1420 (EBD) https://www.usaid.gov/forms/aid-1420-17
- Proof of Education/Degree attained (transcript or diploma)
- Proof of annual salary or daily consulting rate as stated in the EBD (acceptable forms include employment agreement, pay stubs, employer verification letter).
Due to the volume of anticipated applicants, only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Interviews will be scheduled as warranted and may be conducted in person or via electronic means.
Abt Associates is doing business as Abt Associates Thailand, registered with the Thailand Department of Commerce. Abt Associates is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer committed to fostering a diverse workforce.