Job Title: Strategy & Portfolio Officer, Asia Pacific
Layer: L3; G10
Reporting Manager: Regional President, Asia Pacific
Department: Asia Pacific
Office: Asia Pacific Regional Office
International Justice Mission (IJM) is the global leader in protecting people in poverty from violence in the developing world. Our global team of 1,200+ professionals are at work in over 25 offices across Asia, Africa, Europe, Latin America and North America. Together we are catalysing a global movement that will rescue millions, protect half a billion, and make justice for the poor unstoppable. Motivated by God’s call to seek justice for the oppressed, we believe that the way we work is as important as the results we achieve. We are a global community that cares for one another. We value joy and celebration. We provide professional excellence and proven results to all those we serve.
After nearly two decades of continued growth and operational success in pioneering the work of protecting the world’s most vulnerable people from violence, IJM has become a US$80 million international organization. As IJM continues this trajectory of growth and scaling of our impact, we imagine a global movement in citizen security where governments own and deliver unprecedented justice and protection to the poor, marginalized and vulnerable. By 2030, IJM will prove that 500 million people in poverty have been protected from violence and exploitation through our global projects. A critical driver of this vision will be ensuring programmatic excellence and success, impact measurement, the development of resources that our partners can use to scale protection, and moving the world’s leading agents of change, including business, governments, faith communities, and development institutions to invest in, leverage and champion IJM’s proven model of change.
The Strategy & Portfolio Officer plays a critical role in ensuring IJM’s Asia Pacific (APAC) Regional programs are resourced, aligned, capacitated, and on track to achieve our 2030 protection objectives. This role will provide regional-level leadership for strategic planning, portfolio monitoring, building effective program management capabilities, ensuring budget and resourcing alignment with strategic priorities, successfully implementing Global Programs initiatives across APAC, building an understanding and adherence to program-related policies and standards, and ensuring APAC is tracking and reporting program impact in alignment with our Justice Data Solution and strategic objectives.
The Strategy & Portfolio Officer reports to the Regional President, Asia Pacific and will partner closely with the APAC Leadership Team, Global Strategy Team and Global Programs Division. Candidates must be based in the Asia Pacific region, preferably in a country where IJM has an office, including: Philippines, Thailand, Cambodia, Myanmar, Malaysia, Korea, Hong Kong, Singapore or Australia. This role does not provide an international expatriate benefits package.
Key Result Areas (KRAs):
- Strategic Planning & Implementation. Work closely with the Regional President to lead APAC’s annual strategic planning process, as part of IJM’s Global process and rhythms designed to ensure we achieve our 2030 Vision, especially our protection objectives. This includes communicating and working effectively with all regional leaders to develop, resource and monitor and succeed at our 10-year, 3-year and 1-year objectives, KPIs, and workplans.
- Portfolio Monitoring, Reporting & Communication. Monitor APAC’s full portfolio of programs to ensure they are on track for success, identify risks to success and implement mitigation plans, and ensure effective communication about regional-level strategy, program-related initiatives, capacity building gaps and needs, and resourcing. Facilitate quarterly reporting rhythms across APAC, including analysing quarterly reports for ongoing learning, dynamic strategic plan updates, and program improvements.
- Budget & Resource Alignment. Collaborate closely with the Regional Financial Planner & Analyst, Grants & Partnerships Leads, and Hub Program Managers to align our budget and resourcing are aligned with APAC and Global strategy and priorities. Identify, raise awareness of, and work with relevant teams to address gap areas in program resourcing that threaten our ability to achieve our 2030 protection objectives.
- Program Management Capacity & Excellence. Ensure role clarity, strategic alignment and effective communication between the region’s Program Managers, Grants & Partnerships Leads, and Financial Planner & Analyst to ensure the highest level of program development, monitoring, reporting and resourcing. Ensure all roles have relevant training, understanding and resourcing to effectively carry out their responsibilities.
- Tracking & Reporting Program Impact. Ensure APAC Program Hubs are equipped to and accurately reporting on program data, building data partnerships with governments and other partners, and sufficiently measuring program impact according to IJM’s Global data and program measurement policies and standards. Ensure APAC performance results, ROI, risks and staff well-being status are clear and transparent to the Regional President and Global Leadership Team.
- Implementation of Global Programs Initiatives, Policies & Standards. Act as APAC’s primary liaison to the Global Programs (GP) Division, communicating regional updates and realities as well as cascading down key GP policies, standards and projects. These include ensuring APAC understands and is implementing the Global Program Standards, KPI setting and tracking, Protection Measurement Standards, Activation Strategy, Relationship Management Policy, Global Survivor Network Policy, Stock the Shelves Project, and more.
Roles and Responsibilities
Leadership and Management:
- Lead annual and multi-year strategic planning for the Asia Pacific Region through close collaboration with all APAC regional leaders, Global Strategy and Global Programs.
- Coordinate communication and collaboration between the Regional Financial Planner & Analyst, Grants & Partnerships Leads, and Hub Program Managers to ensure the highest level of program development, monitoring, reporting and resourcing.
- In coordination with the Regional President, develop APAC’s RACI to ensure role clarity for L3, contribute to the development of other team’s RACIs as relates to APAC areas of involvement, and equip Hub, field, and advancement teams to roll down further RACIs as helpful for their offices.
- The role may include management of direct reports in the future, so experience in budget, team and individual management is a benefit.
Strategy & Knowledge Development & Implementation:
- Deeply understand IJM’s Global 2030 Vision, APAC’s role, and how to develop and implement a strategic planning process to ensure APAC successfully achieves our 10-year – as well as 3-year and annual – objectives.
- Understand effective program management, implementation and strategic resource application in order to ensure APAC’s programs are on track, resourced appropriately, and that our program and managers are effectively capacitated to succeed in their roles.
- Conduct program gap and threat analysis to ensure we understand threats to success, and build mitigation plans for resourcing, budgeting or capacitating programs to overcome gaps or threats.
- Guide and determine annual resource allocation within the region using data provided by the field offices to map out and prioritize programs/initiatives and anticipate spending turbulence that uniquely affects resourcing of field programs.
- Collaborate closely with the Regional Financial Planner & Analyst, Grants & Partnerships Leads, and Hub Program Managers to align our budget and resourcing are aligned with APAC and Global strategy and priorities. Identify, raise awareness of, and work with relevant teams to address gap areas in program resourcing that threaten our ability to achieve our 2030 protection objectives.
- With the Regional President and key APAC leaders, continually assess external regional opportunities, threats, agents of change, geo-political and other considerations in light of IJM’s strategy and 2030 Vision.
Networking & Partnership:
- Establish and nurture cooperative relationships with regional equivalents and subject matter experts as needed for professional network, shared learning, and training opportunities.
- Act as APAC’s primary liaison to the Global Strategy team, ensuring APAC contributes to, understands and implements global strategic planning rhythms, tools, and standards.
- Act as APAC’s primary liaison to the Global Programs Division, communicating regional updates and realities as well as cascading down key GP policies, standards and projects. These include ensuring APAC understands and is implementing the Global Program Standards, KPI setting and tracking, Protection Measurement Standards, Activation Strategy, Relationship Management Policy, Global Survivor Network Policy, Stock the Shelves Project, and more
- As needed, advance IJM’s global activation strategy in the region through public speaking, meeting with donors, sitting on regional coalitions or professional networks, or other public engagement activities, resulting in heightened credibility for IJM, expanded funding, and an infusion of IJM’s theory of change into regional stakeholders.
Policies and Procedures:
- Develop APAC’s policies, standards, guidelines, communication tools and rhythms, and other processes as related to strategy planning and development, reporting, portfolio decision making, working with Global Partnerships & Global Strategy teams, and program management role clarity and alignment.
- Ensure that best/promising practices and lessons learned on strategic planning, strategy development, and portfolio impact are well documented.
- Effectively, regularly and clearly communicate with all Regional leaders and relevant staff on IJM APAC’s strategic planning processes, strategy, objectives/KPIs, reporting, key Global Partnerships or Global Strategy initiatives, and any other relevant activities.
- Develop briefs and other communication resources as necessary that articulate IJM APAC’s strategy and impact to internal and external stakeholders
- Share knowledge and lessons learned with other IJM Regional Strategy & Portfolio Officers.
- Occasionally speak publicly with or write expert pieces for donors, thought leadership audiences, and others about IJM’s mission, the APAC region’s work, and other relevant topics.
Training and Development:
- Support field teams in interviewing qualified candidates for program management, M&E, grant management and other key program management and oversight roles.
- Train and equip field office program managers in key PM responsibilities, processes, and leadership. Lead the transfer of knowledge and lessons learned to the APAC program management cohort.
- As needed, build the capacity of field program staff, coordinating with hub and national leadership and HR staff to develop and leverage the technical and programmatic competency of field program staff in order to shift greater program management authority to national leaders.
Documentation, Reporting & Data Management:
- Oversee reporting on all regional programs and projects, ensuring that IJM’s global leadership team has transparency and provides accountability on results and ROI.
- Works with the President to develop all required IJM Global Board reports.
Education & Experience
- A minimum of 5 years of experience in portfolio and project management in the government, non-governmental or development sector.
- A minimum of 5 years of experience in strategy development with government, non-governmental or development sector.
- A minimum of 3 years managing large, multi-national, multi-stakeholder initiatives to success.
- Graduate degree in development, program management, business administration, Asian studies or other relevant field.
- Strategic thinking and analysis
- Portfolio management
- Project Management
- Facilitation and training
- Product, systems and/or process development
- Written and verbal communication
- Cross-cultural competency
- Passion for IJM’s mission
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills
- Strategic thinking
- Sound judgment and problem-solving
- Spiritual and emotional health
- Resilient under stress
- Professional and diplomatic
- Unfailing integrity and honesty
ที่ปรึกษา / Consultantผู้ประสานงาน / Coordinatorเจ้าหน้าที่ประจำสำนักงาน / Officerระดมทุน / Fundraisingนักกิจกรรม / Activistผู้จัดการโปรเจค / Project manager