UNOPS is an operational arm of the United Nations, supporting the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to help people build better lives and countries achieve sustainable development.
UNOPS areas of expertise cover infrastructure, procurement, project management, financial management and human resources.
Working with us
UNOPS offers short- and long-term work opportunities in diverse and challenging environments across the globe. We are looking for creative, results-focused professionals with skills in a range of disciplines.
With over 4,000 UNOPS personnel and approximately 7,000 personnel recruited on behalf of UNOPS partners spread across 80 countries, our workforce represents a wide range of nationalities and cultures. We promote a balanced, diverse workforce — a strength that helps us better understand and address our partners’ needs, and continually strive to improve our gender balance through initiatives and policies that encourage recruitment of qualified female candidates.
Work life harmonization
UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands.
Asia Regional Office
Based in Bangkok, the Asia Regional Office (AR) supports UNOPS’ offices throughout the region, providing programme, project, partnerships, management and oversight support, and managing human resources.
The Asia Regional Office helps ensuring that programmes and projects are executed to the highest standards, providing a shared knowledge base and ensuring that best practices and lessons learned are disseminated between projects across the entire region.
Under the guidance and supervision of the Regional Management and Oversight Senior Advisor, the Project Management Support Specialist is responsible for operations, management and oversight analysis and reporting. The Project Management Support Specialist promotes a collaborative, client-focused, quality and results-oriented approach. She/he works in close collaboration with the operations, programme and project management teams within AR and HQ as required. The incumbent is responsible to abide by administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS. More specifically, the duties of the Project Management Support Specialist include the following:
● Ensure that AR is in full compliance with UNOPS rules, regulations and policies;
● Implement corporate and regional operational strategies, assist in the establishment of management targets and monitor achievement of results;
● Analyse and report on business processes and identify opportunities to improve efficiency and effectiveness of such processes;
● Provide operational support for missions and audits, conducting necessary preparation work prior to such missions and audits;
● Oversee the planning, preparation and execution of regional workshops and retreats for AR personnel, including developing schedules, presentations and briefing materials;
● Provide substantive research, analysis and reporting, including contribution to briefing materials and portfolio summary notes for management reports and for programme development needs;
● Analyse and report on the performance of country offices and make recommendations for improvements;
● Manage the investment funding portfolio throughout the process, from proposal submission to update reports and final closure;
● Prepare regular and ad-hoc management reports as needed;
● Analyse and report on budget expenditures and assist in advising the Regional Management team on budget status, ensuring that funds allocated is not exceeded or that additional funds are allocated when required;
● Undertake regional performance monitoring;
● Analyse project financial reports;
● Provide responses to queries on financial and administrative matters from HQ and AR offices;
● Provide support for HQ and Regional initiatives; and
● Be a regional focal point for training, knowledge management, oneUNOPS ERP, oneUNOPS Project and oneUNOPS Report.
● Knowledge Management and Learning.
● Promotes a knowledge sharing and learning culture in the office.
● Actively works towards continuing personal learning and development in one or more practice areas, acts on learning plans and applies newly acquired skills.
● Development and Operational Effectiveness.
● Ability to undertake strategic planning, results-based management and reporting.
● Ability to analyse business processes in accordance with relevant UNOPS rules and regulations.
● Ability to work at a consistently high level of accuracy.
● Focuses on impact and result for the client and responds positively to feedback.
● Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive constructive attitude.
● Builds strong relationships with clients and external actors.
● Remains calm, in control even under pressure.
● Demonstrates openness to change and ability to manage complexities.
|Develops and implements sustainable business strategies, thinks long term and externally in order to positively shape the organization. Anticipates and perceives the impact and implications of future decisions and activities on other parts of the organization.(for levels IICA-2, IICA-3, LICA Specialist- 10, LICA Specialist-11, NOC, NOD, P3, P4 and above)|
|Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion.
|Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.|
|Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).|
|Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.|
|Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.|
|Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.|
|Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.|
● Master's degree / Advanced university degree in business administration, financial management, project management, public administration, international relations or relevant discipline preferred;
● Bachelor's degree in same subjects with additional 2 years of experience acceptable in lieu of Master's degree.
● Minimum 5 years of progressive experience in programmes or operations at the national and preferably international levels providing support in a multicultural setting; relevant experience should also include knowledge of Finance and Reporting.
● Experience working with UN/NGO’s and/or post-conflict environments is an asset.
● Experience in supporting projects and team management is an asset.
● Fluency in English (speaking, reading and writing) is required.
Contract type: ICAContract level: LICA-10
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns.
Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.