United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR)
Representation in Thailand
Vacancy Announcement No. 01/2019
Community Services Assistant
Equivalent to GS-4
Date Issued of the Vacancy Announcement:
17 January 2019
Associate Protection Officer (JPO)
Closing Date of the Vacancy Announcement:
27 January 2019
Mae Hong Son, Thailand
Local Individual Contractor Agreement (UNOPS)
Availability of the Position As soon as possible
Scope of Assignment
Accountability (key results that will be achieved)
- Support is provided to establishing commnunity activities which address the social, cultural, and livelihood needs of populations of concern.
- Support and advice is provided to involve the host community in the protection of persons of concern.
- The Age, Gender and Diversity (AGD) approach is applied in all aspects of his/her protection and solutions work on behalf of persons of concern.
- Ensure that communities of concern are fully aware and confident with the options/durable solutions open to them, so as to make fully informed decisions
Responsibility (process and functions undertaken to achieve results)
- Assist in working with host communities to involve national civil society groups and community -based organizations in improving the protection of persons of concern.
- Support implementing and operational partners as well as displaced and local communities to develop community-owned activities to address, where applicable, the social, educational, psycho-social, cultural, health, organisational and livelihood concerns as well as child protection (including conducting Best Interest work when necessary) and prevention and response to SGBV.
- Design, provide support training initiatives of relevant actors in communities where relevant.
- Assist in analysing protection risks and capacities of communities of concern.
- Support participatory assessments and ongoing consultation with persons of concern.
- Collect data for monitoring of programmes and budgets from an AGD perspective.
- Accompany, and interpret for, senior management in their contacts with local interlocutors.
- Suport efforts and relevant colleagues in advocacy with the local authorities to access local services where necessary.
- Draft and type routine correspondence, documents and reports using word processing equipment and maintain up-to-date filing systems.
- Act as outreach focal points in designated camps to receive and to dissiminate information on solutions in a culturally-appropriate way.
Authority (decisions made in executing responsibilities and to achieve results)
- Assist participatory AGD sensitive analysis as an essential basis for UNHCR's work.
- Identify which individuals or groups to prioritize for counselling and field visits based on agreed criteria.
- Enter data in proGres and other databases as required for voluntary repatriation, resettlment and other durable solutions.
Qualifications and Required Competencies
- Completion of secondary education is the minimum requirement. University courses or degree in a related field will be an added advantage.
- Minimum three (3) years experience with refugees and or in related field.
- Computer skills (MS office, including Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Access).
- Fluent in English and working knowledge of another relevant UN language or local language.
- Knowledge of Administrative/financial rules, procedures, process in the context of UNHCR field offices and field operations.
- Knowledge of ProGres and completion of UNHCR specific learning/training activities would be advantage.
- Working Knowledge of Karen and Burmese will be an asset.
Please submit your Motivation Letter, P.11 form, Curriculum Vitae and a copy of official ID card/national passport indicating the vacancy announcement number and position title to: THABAHR@unhcr.org
Candidates who are not Thai nationals are required to submit with their application evidence of their right to work in Thailand.
Only candidates under positive consideration will be contacted for a written test and/or interview.
UNHCR/P.11 and supplementary forms can be downloaded from: https://www.unhcr.or.th/sites/default/files/u11/P11_UNHCR.docm and
ผู้ช่วย / Assistant