THE INTERNATIONAL COMMITTEE OF THE RED CROSS (ICRC)
The International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) is an impartial, neutral and independent organization whose exclusively humanitarian mission is to protect the lives and dignity of victims of armed conflicts and other situations of violence and to provide them with assistance. It directs and coordinates the international relief activities conducted by the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement in situations of conflict. It also endeavours to prevent suffering by promoting and strengthening humanitarian law and universal humanitarian principles.
The ICRC Regional Delegation in Bangkok is looking for a:
Health Field Officer, based in Bangkok
The Health Field Officer (FHO) contributes to the achievement of the objectives of ICRC health projects in Thailand (PfR), with a focus on the activities related to healthcare in detention, and secondly by working on health data management, institutional reporting, and support to FA, MHPSS and WWAP programs across the country.
He/She will be participating in visits to places of detention in Thailand and FA training, maintaining the working relationships with the relevant local authorities and stakeholders. He/she may also support the health teams in Chiang Mai and Pattani for health activities that may be required.
- Participates in health in detention activities in Thailand (visits, assessments, reporting)
- Contributes towards the understanding of the prison health system, including the evaluation of the health status and access to healthcare services of detainees, with particular emphasis on medical screening process upon arrival, and continuity of care during the incarceration and after release from prison
- Participates in the organization of events such as the postgraduate course on prison health at Thammasat University and the Asia Pacific Conference on Prison Health (APCPH)
- Identifies and maintains the working relationships and ensures coordination with medical and non-medical actors in Thailand, keeps contact with health interlocutors from central and local government health offices, I/NGOs under the supervision of the Health Project Manager and senior HFO
- Collaborates towards the planning and organizing activities related to of FA training, MHPSS and WWAP
- Represents ICRC in meetings with local partners and government agencies
- Interprets into Thai language, including translation of written reports and texts.
Selection requirements and experience
- Recognised university qualification in nursing/medicine/public health
- Minimum 3 years work experience in the health field
- Background in public health
- Very good command of written and spoken English
- Knowledge of Thai local and ASEAN languages will be an asset
- Self-supporting in computers (Windows, spreadsheets, word-processing)
- Understanding and knowledge of the Thai national health care system and fundamentals of public health
- Sound understanding of political, social and cultural factors in the Thai and ASEAN contexts
- Strong motivation for humanitarian work and sense of responsibility
- Availability to travel and work in Thailand
- Interest in ICRC health program activities as HealthCare in Detention (HCD), First Aid (FA), Mental Health and Psycho-Social Support (MHPSS), Assistance to Weapon Wounded (WWAP) including action research and teaching with academic institutions
- Aptitude to learn and work independently in a cross-cultural environment
- Experience in working in prisons and developmental contexts or in engaging with vulnerable groups would be an asset
- Strong skills in general administration, oral and written reporting in Thai and English
What we offer
- Dynamic and challenging work environment in the humanitarian international set-up
- Attractive package depending on qualifications
Interested Thai citizens should submit their complete:
1) résumé 2) scanned transcript 3) application letter by e-mail to:
Attn : Administration Department/Human Resources
The closing date for the post will be: 15 January 2019
(please refer to the source of vacancy announcement e.g. website, newspaper, etc… in the application letter)
Kindly note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted for the interview.
เจ้าหน้าที่ภาคสนาม / Field officer