Join our international non-profit research organization and help create a sustainable future for all. SEI Asia is a dynamic, expanding workplace of approximately 30 people from different nationalities that collaborate in a busy central Bangkok-based office.
SEI is recruiting a highly motivated Research Associate thatwill undertake research and development activities related to new and ongoing projects across Asia under the Water Resources Management Cluster, with a focus on development of remote sensing and GIS tools, Python programming, data processing and development of graphic user interfaces related to water and land resources management, water-related disaster risk management, water-food-energy security, urban nexus, and climate change adaptation.This position will support the Cluster team in undertaking outreach activities and writing peer-reviewed research publications.
The incumbent will work with staff at SEI Asia and with other consortiums on current activities under existing programmes, including SERVIR-Mekong (https://servir.adpc.net/), SUMERNET (www.sumernet.org), the Sustainable Water Partnership (www.swpwater.org) and other Asia-based projects. While SEI Asia focuses within the region, it also works globally, and the incumbent will be expected to contribute to programmes and projects worldwide.
The Research Associate reports directly to the assigned Line Manager (Water Resources Management Cluster Leader) and respective project leaders/managers for which she/he works, and is under the overall supervision of the Centre Director.
Your main responsibilities
- Lead remote sensing analysis and GIS mapping based on project and Water Cluster requirements
- Develop geospatial tools/ applications for addressing issues related to water and land resource management in the field of river morphological monitoring, drought monitoring, flood mapping, land use and land cover change analysis, climate change analysis, etc
- Develop web-based interfaces for geospatial tools and other GIS related web-applications deployed to cloud infrastructure
- Script automation and integration of a range of modelling scenarios in WEAP using Python
- Develop QGIS plug-ins based on project requirements
- Develop documents, tutorials, user guides and technical reference information to support training and reporting activities
- Implement projects and/or research activities according to the assigned tasks from project managers and the Cluster Lead
- Participate in meetings, workshops and conferences to support project/research work and raising the cluster profile
- Cooperate with and support colleagues on the Cluster team to ensure on-time and quality delivery, and report progress in accordance with the SEI project manual
- Participate proactively in cross-centrecollaborationto develop new project ideas and project proposals for new initiatives and fundraising
- In collaboration with the SEI Communications team and the SEI Asia communications coordinator, undertake outreach activities that include teaching, presentations, dialogues and briefings, articles for specialist publications and scientific papers in peer-reviewed journals and interaction with the media as appropriate
- Implement and contribute to development of Institute policies, including the environment policy, and additional programmes, such as the Institute Code of Conduct
- Contribute to office management (e.g. staff meetings, cluster meetings, administrative tasks, etc.) and other duties as assigned by line managers
Who you are
We are looking for a person with a strong interest and proven track record in designing and executing research projects. You have excellent writing skills and are able to communicate with a variety of actors.
- A Master’s degree with a minimum of 5 years of working experience in Geoinformatics, remote sensing and GIS, computer programming related to water resources management, or anyrelated fields.
- Experience in GIS programming, remote sensing processing, web GIS development and design for applications related to flood mapping, drought monitoring, etc.
- Programming experience in Python is mandatory for this position
- Working experience in Google Earth Engine, R or any other open data platforms is an added advantage
- Knowledge of GIS analysis, GIS modeling, data integration and conversion, data analysis, geocoding and geomatics is essential
- Experience in GIS database design and management using both ESRI and open source technologies
- Good publication record, having contributed to both the scientific and practitioner literature
- Fluency in spoken and written English.
- Strong motivation, personal initiative and commitment to excellence and results, as well as enthusiasm for doing scientific research
- Experience in Java SQL, C++, ASP.NET MVC
- Experience in custom web based geospatial application design and development and data analytics
- Working knowledge of Unix and Linux
- Strong desire to learn new programming languages for development of web applications
- Experience in the ASEAN region
To succeed in this role, you will need to work both in teams and independently in a highly flexible and exciting research environment. You are able to combine theoretical knowledge with practical, people-based skills.
Stockholm Environment Institute (SEI) is an independent, international research institute founded in 1989. Its mission is to support decision-making and induce change towards sustainable development around the world by providing integrative knowledge that bridges science and policy in the field of environment and development. SEI was ranked as the second most influential environmental think tank in the world in the Global Go To Think Tank Report 2017, compiled by the University of Pennsylvania's Think Tanks and Civil Societies Program.
SEI has approximately 240 employees working at research centres in seven countries around the world. Our Headquarters and the Stockholm Research Centre are located in Stockholm, Sweden. In addition to SEI Asia, there are centres in Estonia (Tallinn); United Kingdom (York and Oxford); the United States (Seattle, Boston and Davis, California); Kenya (Nairobi); and Columbia (Bogota).
How to apply:
Applications are reviewed on an ongoing basis, so please submit your application as soon as possible, however no later than Jan 04, 23:59 ICT. As we only accept applications through our recruitment system, apply online using the button below and include:
- Curriculum vitae or resume
- Cover letter highlighting relevant qualifications and experience
ผู้ประสานงาน / Coordinatorนักพัฒนาโครงการ / Creative content developerระดมทุน / Fundraisingเจ้าหน้าที่ภาคสนาม / Field officerผู้จัดการโปรเจค / Project manager