Position: Head of Strategy and Partnerships
In Thailand today, there are over ~10 million students in our public school system, and yet ~50% are leaving our school system without basic reading, writing and critical thinking skills, contributing to a growing injustices and lack of strong human capital in the newer generations for Thailand remain relevant and competitive as she moves into an aging population society within the next 10 years. At Teach For Thailand, we are working to change this. We believe in the potential of all children and are working to create a different future for kids growing up in low-income communities in Thailand. Today, we have 69 participants in our two-year leadership development program, 78 alumni, and 15 team members who are committed to expanding educational opportunity through their leadership in schools and across all sectors. Over the next 2 years, we aim to grow our movement to 150 participants, who collectively will have the potential to impact 50,000 children in classrooms every day, with 200 alumni and 25 staff serving as leaders to address systemic causes of educational inequity from across all sectors. To do this, we are working to develop a resilient organization and significantly grow partnerships that support our work and are seeking a highly driven and experienced Head of Strategy and Partnerships to drive this effort.
As the Head of Strategy and Partnerships, you will be responsible for developing the vision and strategy to strengthen internal team system/processes and capabilities and to grow and sustain the cross-sector partnerships necessary to support our vision and mission. To do this, you will be managing and developing a growing team of professionals who lead key work-streams, including but not limited to development, government relations, marketing and communications, people and culture, and finance. Over time you will be responsible for evolving the structures and roles on your team to match what is required to achieve our vision as we grow. This will require that you demonstrate exceptional leadership and management skills as well as strategic thinking, judgment, relationship building, and strong execution and prioritization abilities.
This is an ideal opportunity for a hands-on visionary leader to take on a new challenge in a fast-paced, results-oriented, socially-minded environment.
Key Outcomes and Responsibilities
Outcomes will include but are not limited to the following:
- Strong plans and regular quarterly reviews that enable teams to know what’s going on, achieve its goals and vision, and continue to learn and improve across organization
- Increase revenue generation of our funding streams and diversify our funding base to raise ~1M USD in FY18 (annual increases of 20-30% pending growth number)
- Sustain and grow our school placements through partnerships with the Ministry of Education and Local Administrative Areas; public sector funding is worth over ~500K USD in FY18 and expected to grow significantly over the next several years (30-60% annually pending specific recruitment targets)
- Cultivate Teach For Thailand’s brand as a top-of-mind charitable organization through the development and delivery of a top-notch marketing and communications strategy
- Increase team engagement, as measured by results on the annual staff engagement survey (particularly around managerial capabilities and performance management) and staff retention
- Maintain budget and cash flow management systems to ensure fiscal responsibility and compliance
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Develop, deliver, evaluate and continually refresh partnership strategy in order to secure necessary resources (financial and in-kind) for the organization to execute the program
- Build systemic long-term funding/partnerships with public sector to ensure our teachers are placed in areas where they can make highest possible impact
- Set up and implement strategies to communicate our mission and approach through messaging that is understandable and resonant across a diverse set of stakeholders, including: media, corporate partners, government agencies/policy makers, foundations, other social enterprises, and internal staff. Tailor messaging by constituency to advance the organization’s point of view and drive constituents to action.
Operations (Finance, People/Culture, IT)
- Take ownership of long-term strategic planning and annual goal setting processes, monitor progress against organizational goals, and ensure learnings are used to improve organizational outcomes
- Strengthen People and Culture strategy and practices - attract, develop, and retain top performers in the organization as well as increase staff engagement
- Own the organization’s annual budgeting process and monthly operational forecasting process - ensure budget and rolling forecast accurately reflect the operational assumptions and strategies implemented by different teams
Team Management/Senior Leadership Team Member
- Establish and maintain a lean and high performing team (~6 and growing) through hiring, coaching, mentoring, developing and evolving the team as we grow to achieve our vision
- Provide leadership for the organization and represent the vision, mission, and core values of the organization both internally and externally
- Work on key strategic initiatives and issues to optimize the operations of the organization as well as maximize impact
- Bachelor’s degree required, more advanced degrees preferred
- Minimum 10 years full-time work experience, with a minimum of 4 years of team leadership experience with proven track record in people and performance management
- Demonstrated success in building and growing partnerships preferred
- Thai fluency is mandatory (written and spoken) and good command of English
- Visionary leadership skills, with the personal drive and energy to inspire and motivate colleagues and peers
- A deep commitment to education equity - a belief that all children can succeed regardless of their background
- A learning orientation - commitment to learning and development and openness to feedback
- Excellent organizational and strategic planning skills and the ability to assess, prioritize and manage a varied and demanding workload under pressure and with tight deadlines, whilst maintaining a high bar for quality
- Exceptional interpersonal skills - ability to establish and manage authentic working relationships with people of all working styles to get things done
- Exemplify Teach For Thailand’s core values: Lead by Example, Students First, Constant Learning, Sense of Possibility, Relationships Matter, and Open and Honest.
Salary is competitive in the Thai context and depends on prior experience. Benefits include medical insurance, a generous leave policy, and possible opportunities for travel. Additionally, there is ample opportunity for professional development and mobility within the organization, as well as access to professional development through the global network Teach For All.
How to Apply
To join us as a team member, apart from being well qualified, you need to believe as strongly as we do in our mission and vision to ensure the success of our organization.
Please send your resume and a one-page cover letter with the subject line of the position you are applying for to email@example.com.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.