Director of operations
(Full-Time Employee Position)
USAID Clean Power Asia Program, Bangkok-based
The International Development Division focuses on improving the lives and economic well-being of people in lower and middle-income countries. We command technical expertise in health, agriculture, climate change, food security and governance—as well as in international evaluation. Our multi-layered health portfolio includes policy, health promotion and disease prevention, health finance, and health systems management. In partnership with government clients and local experts, our high-quality programs in Africa, Asia, Latin America, and the Middle East are known for impact and innovation.
Abt Associates, a global leader in technical assistance, program implementation and international development, seeks a qualified individual to fulfill the position of Director of Operations for the USAID Clean Power Asia program, reporting to the Deputy Chief of Party. This position is full-time and based in Bangkok, Thailand. While there are no nationality requirements for applicants, it should be noted that neither allowances nor relocation will be considered or offered to the successful candidate. Applicants must be able to begin work on-site within three weeks of acceptance of a contingent offer from Abt Associates. This position may require occasional travel and regular work outside of the office that is exempt from overtime pay.
The United States Agency for International Development (USAID) Clean Power Asia program is a multi-year U.S. government-funded initiative that supports governments and the private sector in the Lower Mekong countries of Thailand, Cambodia, Lao PDR, and Vietnam to scale up investment in grid-connected renewable energy (RE). The program provides assistance and expertise in energy planning and effective policy, regulatory, and technical environment for low-emissions growth in the power sector, while simultaneously attracting public- and private-sector investment in RE development.
The Director of Operations for USAID Clean Power Asia will oversee the effective and efficient operation of finance, administration, human resources, security and logistics, communications and outreach, compliance, and procurement, ensuring these functions are fully aligned with programmatic priorities and objectives, are delivered in support of the overall program on time and within budget. The Director of Operations will coordinate closely with the Deputy Chief of Party and the Chief of Party to achieve integration of operational and programmatic work flows and processes to serve programmatic needs and the strategic goals of the program. This position reports to the Deputy Chief of Party, is based in Bangkok, Thailand, and has supervisory responsibilities for five to seven staff.
- Provide day-to-day leadership and oversight for effective and efficient operation of finance, administration, human resources, security and logistics, communications and outreach, compliance, and procurement.
- Under the close supervision of the DCOP, oversee accounting and financial management, which include cash flow management, financial reporting and daily monitoring of obligations, budgets, and expenditures.
- Ensure business processes and procedures take all relevant compliance issues into account, including as they relate to procurement, logistics, and facilities management.
- Supervise project staff and ensure compliance with USAID rules and regulations and Abt policies and procedures.
- Oversee project procurement and ensure best value procurements are made in accordance with all relevant USAID/USG and Abt policies and regulations.
- Oversee the maintenance of all personnel files of Abt employees and consultants; monitor and manage existing (Thai/local) policies governing Abt operations, ensuring compliance with all relevant local laws and regulations, including both labor and tax, as well as USAID regulations.
- Conduct regular training to staff on finance, procurement, compliance, and ethics in accordance with USAID regulations and Abt standards.
- Assists DCOP with project budget preparation, forecasting, monitoring, and reporting.
- Prepares activity-level budgets as assigned by the DCOP and in coordination with relevant technical teams.
- Assists in maintaining trackers for budget monitoring and level of effort utilization.
- Manage the process of consultant engagement, from recruitment to engagement and through to close out of consulting agreements. Specific tasks include: overseeing recruitment and human resources efforts: tracking LOE and ODCs invoiced against consultant agreement; modifying agreements or closing out as needed; receive and process consultant invoices for payment; track and monitor deliverables of individual consultants in close coordination with technical staff.
- Continually seek to foster cross-team linkages and learning, and to streamline and improve procurement systems and other operational functions through development of tools, guidance, and staff training/coaching.
- Supervise the day-to-day field presence in the areas of operations, including the project’s facilities such as office space and equipment/inventory.
- Ensure continuous liquidity for the project; handle human resource issues; and investigate and identify new ways of achieving project efficiencies.
- Supervise project operations staff including F&A Manager, Accountant, Program Officer, Communications Specialist, and Monitoring and Evaluation Manager.
- Supports compliance with the appropriate regulations in providing logistical support for project staff and activities, and that all such activities are done in accordance with company policy and governmental regulations.
- Manage performance review process for operations staff.
- Recommends strategies to streamline systems for effectiveness and efficiency, considering client needs, team dynamics, and the project and corporate mission.
- Performs other project management and contact administration duties as required or assigned.
- Undertakes special assignments as appropriate.
- Demonstrates leadership, professional maturity, versatility, discretion, and integrity.
- Continually promotes outstanding service and mentors staff to implement excellent client services.
- Serves as secondary contact for consultants on administrative items. Ensures inquiries and needs are addressed within the standards set by consulting agreements and in cooperation with the Abt home office or other field offices as needed.
Candidates who do not meet the REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS are unlikely to be considered.
- Master’s degree and eight-plus (8+) years of relevant experience; OR the equivalent combination of education and experience.
- At least four (4) years of USAID project management experience (may include general project management, communications and outreach, finance, human resources, and operations).
- Understanding and proficiency in financial and project management systems and procedures.
- Proficiency in USAID regulations (FAR/AIDAR/ADS), contract compliance.
- Proven experience in developing resolutions to complex technical, managerial or operational problems.
- Prior work experience in complex, high-speed and challenging field operations in developing countries. Previous experience working in Thailand and the countries of the Lower Mekong is desirable.
- The candidate should have a working knowledge of USAID policies and procedures in regards to financial management, financial reporting, procurement processes and systems.
- Experience working in such roles with USAID projects is highly desirable.
- Complete fluency in written and oral English is an essential qualification; working proficiency or knowledge of another regional language is highly desirable.
- Demonstrated proactivity, attention to detail, working within deadlines, and ability to juggle multiple priorities in a fast-paced environment.
- Demonstrated leadership and ability to manage a diverse team.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and client service provision.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Experience living or working in developing countries preferred; basic language proficiency in Thai or another language of the region is a plus.
Interested candidates may express their interest by emailing email@example.com referencing Director of Operations in the subject line. Deadline for applications is 31 August 2018. Applications received after this date will not be considered.
To be considered, your application MUST INCLUDE the following information; failure to provide this information will result in your application being removed from consideration.
- A written expression of interest summarizing your qualifications for the position. The expression of interest must address each of the required qualifications or your application may be considered incomplete.
- CV clearly indicating work/consulting history.
- US Federal Form 1420 (EBD) https://www.usaid.gov/forms/aid-1420-17
- Proof of Education/Degree attained (transcript or diploma).
- Proof of annual salary or daily consulting rate as stated in the EBD (note EBD directions and relevance of last three years only). Acceptable forms include employment agreement, pay stubs, employer verification letter.
Due to the volume of anticipated applicants, only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Interviews will be scheduled as warranted and may be conducted in person or via electronic means.
Abt Associates is doing business as Abt Associates Thailand, registered with the Thailand Department of Commerce. Abt Associates is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer committed to fostering a diverse workforce.
Location: Southeast Asia
Position Title/Grade: Director of Operations, FSN 10 – FSN 11
Local Hire Position (no nationality restrictions; no allowances offered)