The Shoklo Malaria Research Unit (SMRU) is a field station attached to the Faculty of Tropical Medicine, Mahidol University, Bangkok, Thailand. It is part of the Mahidol Oxford Research Unit (MORU) which is a collaborative effort between Mahidol and Oxford Universities, and is part-funded by a UK charity, the Wellcome Trust. SMRU’s aims are to i) treat and care for patients with malaria, ii) undertake research into malaria in this area in order to determine the best methods of prevention and treatment, and iii) to advise on the treatment and the control of malaria in the South East Asia region and more widely.
Job title: Laboratory Administrator
Location: Mae Sot
Status: Full time
Report to: Laboratory Head
Staff under supervision: None
- Support the laboratory team for consumable and equipment ordering including:
- Sourcing supplies;
- Negotiating prices with suppliers;
- Obtaining quotations from suppliers;
- Co-ordinate laboratory monthly orders;
- Co-ordination and facilitation of communication between laboratory, procurement, finance and grants teams;
- Troubleshooting/following up orders.
- Take responsbility for laboratory equipment maintenance including:
- Management of the equipment database and maintainance of records;
- Obtaining quotes;
- Organising maintenance;
- Communication with logistics, procurement, finance and grants teams.
- Deal with general laboratory queries from clinical and administrative staff, including taking responsibility for the laboratory mobile phone.
- Organise and process shipments between SMRU and other laboratories.
- Support import and export procedures, including maintaining certification.
- Communication with Thai Public Health for reference laboratory identifications and external quality control schemes.
- Support mannagement of the laboratories inventory and stock.
- Support laboratory safety officer with administrative tasks.
- Work with the administration/human resources department on staff recruitment and retention issues.
- Other duties as directed.
- A degree in a relevant discipline (e.g. business studies, management, medical technology).
- Fluency in Thai and English (spoken and written).
- Computing skills – ability to work with Microsoft Office and database applications.
- Organisational skills – ability to prioritise and work to deadlines.
- Able to work independently, but also able to interact well within a team environment.
- Effective Communicator
- Prior experience of laboratory management (clinical or research-based).
Applications must be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org or SMRU 68/30 Bantung Road, Mae Sot, Tak 63110
Deadline for application: Tuesday, 10 July 2018
Please note that only short-listed candidates will be notified for the interview process