: The International Organization for Migration (IOM)
: 9 Feb 2024
23 / February / 2024
Open to Internal and External Candidates
Position Title : National Associate Movement Operations Officer
Duty Station : Mae Sot, Thailand
Classification : National Officer (NO-A, THB 146,634.92 per month)
Type of Appointment : One Year Fixed-Term Contract
Initial 12 months with possibility of extension
Desired Start Date : As soon as possible
Closing Date : 23 February 2024
Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
1. ORGANIZATIONAL CONTEXT AND SCOPE:
Since the inception of IOM in 1951, Movement Operations have been and continue to be a fundamental pillar of the Organization’s work. The organized movement of persons in need of international migration assistance is a primary mandate of the Organization and a cornerstone of IOM’s operations. This mandate has resulted in the international transport of more than 15 million migrants and refugees worldwide. Movement Operations departments in various IOM missions, coordinated under the division of Resettlement and Movement Management (RMM) in the Department of Operations and Emergencies (DOE) at IOM’s Geneva Headquarters, are responsible for all aspects of travel for migrants and refugees under IOM’s auspices, in accordance with the various framework agreements with resettlement and receiving Governments and partners across the spectrum of the Organization's programmes.
Under the general supervision of the Chief of Mission, the direct supervision of the Head of Sub-offices, the National Associate Movement Operations Officer (Field Support), is responsible for the following duties and responsibilities.
2. RESPONSIBILITIES AND ACCOUNTABILITIES:
- Oversee up to three teams of staff members who are undertaking field support activities in Tak and Mae Hong Son. Support staff development processes such as hiring, providing training, assigning duties and giving feedback to staff members on their performance on a regular basis to ensure high quality work and the accurate completion of activities. As needed, monitor the work schedule, validate hours and process relevant financial paperwork in coordination with the IOM finance department.
- Oversee the efficient and effective management of airport services for arriving and departing individuals, including in relation to documentation, luggage, escorts and special services. Ensure staff deliver the highest quality service, interact appropriately with airport and government officials and handle urgent issues as they occur.
- Oversee staff as they assist individuals at transit centers or third-party facilities. Monitor the weekly shift schedule, ensuring coverage is adequate to maintain a professional, safe, secure and clean environment; address issues as they arise and continually seek ways in which IOM can improve services. For third party facilities, regularly conduct checks to ensure accommodation is up to IOM standards.
- Manage assets and inventories, process financial paperwork, supervise quality control of vendors, and manage the transit center vehicles and related schedules, staff and paperwork, if relevant.
- Ensure interpretation services are coordinated for individuals at the airport, in transit centers, camps, consolidation points and third-party facilities or during transport by air, ground or water, handling financial paperwork related to interpretation services as needed.
- Supervise the coordination of transportation from consolidation points, transit centers and third-party facilities, ensuring service providers meet IOM standards.
- Oversee pre-departure counselling on pre-embarkation procedures and special needs, such as meals, medication, wheelchairs and medical conditions.
- Supervise the handling of at-risk and sensitive cases by field support personnel in accordance with IOM’s policies, procedure and guidance in the Movement Management Manual (MMM), including assistance for unaccompanied refugee minors (URMs). Ensure IOM is adequately training field support personnel on working with at-risk and sensitive cases and is mainstreaming prevention of sexual exploitation and abuse (PSEA) through the awareness and training sessions for staff and service-providers.
- Supervise quality assurance procedures, ensuring checks are being regularly undertaken by staff members and incident reports are being submitted to and responded to in an efficient manner. Prepare statistics and report regularly to the Head of Sub-offices on relevant activities. Work to streamline how reports are prepared and presented in order to improve services and ensure data on all procedures is compiled, summarized and presented in a timely manner.
- Demonstrate a comprehensive understanding of relevant Movement Operations SOPs and Movements-related systems and databases (including iGATOR, MiMOSA, SAR and Amadeus), as well as the ability to remain professional, impartial and unbiased during all interactions with migrants and colleagues per the IOM Code of Conduct and instruction on the prevention of sexual exploitation and abuse (PSEA).
- Maintain and ensure the confidentiality and integrity of all relevant paperwork in line with standards of conduct and data protection rules. Alert the Head of Sub-offices or management of any non-compliance to SOPs or codes of conduct by IOM staff members or partners.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
3. QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- Master’s degree from an accredited academic institution; or
- University degree from an accredited academic institution with two years of relevant professional experience.
- Prior Movement Operations experience, especially in IOM, is highly preferred.
- Knowledge of IOM's Movement Operations program implementation and administrative, financial and business rules and practices is desirable.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills and ability to effectively communicate with and lead a team.
- Demonstrated proficiency with MiMOSA
- Excellent computer skills and a high level of proficiency in spreadsheet and database applications.
- Fluency in English and Thai (oral and written) is required.
- Working knowledge of French and/or Spanish is desirable.
5. DESIRABLE COMPETENCIES:
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
- Courage: demonstrates willingness to take a stand on issues of importance.
- Empathy: shows compassion for others, makes people feel safe, respected and fairly treated.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
- Teamwork: displays a high level of cultural awareness, sensitivity to different ways of working and leverages individual strengths in order to build a better team.
- Delivering results: monitors own and others’ work in a systematic and effective way, ensuring required resources and outputs.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: encourages knowledge-sharing across units/departments and ensures that knowledge is captured, recorded and disseminated appropriately.
- Accountability: plans and organizes work with a clear and deliberate focus, ensuring commitments are easily identified and progress is widely communicated.
- Communication: seeks to share information with others, with due respect for diversity and the confidentiality of specific sensitive information.
Managerial Competencies - Behavioural indicators – Level 2
- Leadership: Provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the Organization’s vision. Assists others to realize and develop their leadership and professional potential.
- Empowering others: Creates an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
- Building Trust: Promotes shared values and creates an atmosphere of trust and honesty.
- Strategic thinking and vision: Works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
- Humility: Leads with humility and shows openness to acknowledging own shortcomings.
How to apply:
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via IOM e-Recruitment system within the above said deadline referring to this advertisement. Please attach the following documents in your application.
- Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
- This post is subject to local recruitment. Only those holding a valid residence and work permit for the country where this position is based will be eligible for consideration.
- Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, verification of residency, visa, and authorizations by the concerned Government, where applicable. Vaccination against COVID-19 will be required for IOM personnel who are hired or otherwise engaged by IOM. As part of the mandatory medical entry on duty clearance, candidates will be requested to provide evidence of full vaccination.
- IOM does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, processing, training or other fee). IOM does not request any information related to bank accounts.
- IOM only accepts duly completed applications submitted through the IOM online recruitment system. The online tool also allows candidates to track the status of their application.
- Only applicants who meet the above qualification will be considered.
For further information and other job postings, you are welcome to visit our website: Careers | IOM Thailand.