Title: Legal Service Assistance Consultant
Total number of Consultants 1
Country Program Protection and Empowerment, Thailand
Proposed Dates May 2023 – 31 July 2023
Duration 3 Months (With the possibility of extending for another 3 months upon the opening new grant)
Deadline for Application : 8th June 2023
Background of the project
The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises, helping to restore health, safety, education, economic wellbeing, and power to people devastated by conflict and disaster. Founded in 1933 at the call of Albert Einstein, the IRC is at work in over 40 countries and 26 U.S. cities helping people to survive, reclaim control of their future and strength-en their communities. The IRC has been operating in Thailand since 1975 and currently provides assistance to displaced persons in Tak, Kanchanaburi, Ratchaburi and Mae Hong Son provinces.
IRC’s Protection and Legal Assistance Centre (P-LAC), promotes the rule of law, access to justice, and provide the durable solution information for Burmese refugees living in Thailand. Since 2007, the project has established Legal Assistance Centers in 5 refugee camps (Mae La, Umpiem Mai and Nupo in Tak Province, Ban Mai Nai Soi and Ban Mae Surin in Mae Hong Son Province) and will ex-pend to other refugee camps in the future. Currently, P- LAC is serving approximately 64,000 bene-ficiaries in total.
Scope of work
Under supervision of Deputy Coordinator for Community and Government Lesion, the Legal Ser-vice assistance consultant will provide support to access to justice and legal service activities in 3 Tak camps. The Legal Service Assistance consultancy will be responsible for providing translation and interpretation support, accompany client along the legal process, administrative assistance and, data management assistance to Protection and Legal Assistance Center(P-LAC).
• Provide translation for document, information, and interpretation during legal and access to justice process in Thai and Camp Justice systems.
• Work together with the P-LAC’s staff and lawyers on legal case facilitation by accompany client along legal service process for Thai Justice System in 3 Tak camps.
• Provide interpretation for P-LAC’s staff during training, meeting and workshop.
• Assisting P-LAC’s staff on arrangement for trainings, workshop and meeting including preparing refreshment, materials, venue, coordination with CBAs , CLVs and relevant bodies both in and outside refugee camps.
• Collect and enter information/data related to access to justice and legal service ac-tivities database including data necessary for project indicators.
• Provide administration assistance and support for P-LAC ‘s staff in coordination with, Fi-nance Departments, and Operations Department
• Perform other assignments as requested by the supervisor.
• Complete a translation and interpretation during contract as assign.
• Provide the quality support to P-LAC staff and accompany clients on legal case facilitation along Thai and Camp Justice System.
• Developed and prepared the training, workshop, meeting, and other activities ar-rangements plan and procured materials before the event according to the assigned work plan.
• Completion on timely basis of the Rule of Law database and Protection Monitoring database as assigned.
Payment Rate and Schedule:
IRC may withhold for taxes 3% as required by law and shall provide with-holding certificates to the translator, accordingly. The payment will be made by IRC at the end of each month.
- Minimum Post-ten education, High School Diploma or University degree in a related field
2. Work Experience and/or Demonstrated Abilities
- Working experience in area of protection or rule of law or laws and/or ju-dicial system desirable.
- At least 1 years’ experience working in the refugee camp context in similar position.
- Training experience and/or experience in protection or law desirable
- Excellent communication and training skills
- Ability to multi-task and handle sensitive issues.
- Effective personnel management skills
- Fluent in Karen, Burmese, Good communication in English or Thai
- Ability to working independently with remote supervise.
- Good command in Microsoft office
Standards of Professional Conduct
The IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in the IRC Way – Code of Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, Accountability and Equality. In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Harassment-Free Workplace, Fiscal Integrity, Anti-Retaliation, Combating Trafficking in Persons, and several others.
Equal Opportunity Employer
IRC considers all applicants on the basis of merit without regard to race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
If you are interested, please submit your CV and Cover Letter to the below email.
Contact : Thailand.HR@rescue.org