Job Title: Full stack Developer (Django+React JS) (Full-time)
Duration: 6 months
Responsible to: Director - Research, Technology and Worker Voice
Duty Station: Work remotely, work from anywhere
Issara Institute is an independent non-profit organization based in Southeast Asia and the United States tackling human trafficking and forced labour from the lens of business and human rights. The Institute was established in 2014 by a team of anti-trafficking experts coming out of the United Nations who created an alliance of private sector, civil society, and government partners committed to transformational, sustainable, worker-driven approaches to labour issues, especially those occurring in global supply chains. It is staffed by leading regional and international experts in labour rights, business and human rights, and research and technology.
We believe that, together, we can transform the lives of tens of millions of workers through worker voice, partnership, and innovation - that sustainable systemsdriving more ethical labour recruitment and working conditions are vital to the future of workers individually and collectively, to equity and fairness across supply chains, and to sustainable poverty alleviation efforts.
Issara Institute is looking for experienced middle/senior full stack developers to grow our Tech and Innovation Team! We have a small but growing team of veteran software engineers, and we are building tools and applications to help fight human trafficking and support workers in Asian supply chains.
Issara takes an innovative approach to working on labourexploitation within global supply chains - utilizing various data streams including a range of worker voice channels to empower workers, and to inform global buyer partners regarding human rights due diligence and remediation needs. The ideal candidate is interested in integrating the tech and non-profit worlds; willing to work closely with our teams in Thailand, Myanmar, Cambodia, Malaysia, Nepal, and the United States; keen to understand the needs of users (our team, workers, jobseekers, businesses); and, has experience building web applications and at least an advanced knowledge of Django and React JS.
SCOPE OF WORK
Specific aspects of the scope of work of the Full Stack Developer include:
● Develop frontend and backend web applications
● Keep the codebase / architecture clean
● Implement and test architectural changes
● Coordinate with international teams in a project management setting and deliver on scope products within a project timeline
● Work with program managers, developers, directors, and other stakeholders to translate organizational needs into technical requirements.
● Support user studies and feedback sessions, from staff to jobseekers to migrant workers to businesses, to analyze and understand user needs and translate those into tech development.
● Gather and respond to team feedback on features and use of technology tools.
REQUIRED SKILLS & EXPERTISE
We have a lean, dynamic, seasoned team that is committed to change, innovation, and impact. We are conscientious, hold a high standard of care for the people we serve, and understand that we have to be able to work effectively with partners spanning the largest multinational corporations to the smallest grassroots CBOs. Our work ecosystem is multicultural, respectful, and energetic, whether we are working on tasks in teams, or working remotely from home. We aim to ensure that there are many opportunities for sharing, learning, and growth on our team, and are looking for individuals who would flourish in our unique environment. The Full Stack Developer should have:
● At least 2-3 years of experience in full stackdevelopment using Django
● At least 3 years of experience working with ReactJS
● Must be able to verify code performance and security
● Must have expertise using Redux
● An ability to work closely with product users and multi-cultural teams, solid listening and teamwork skills, an ability to independently complete tasks assigned and respond in a timely manner to the assignments and communication with the team
Preferred Experience and Skills
● Intermediate knowledge on AWS and Django
● TDD, Unit Testing
● Knowledge on SQL queries
● Agile/Scrum experience
Tools We Use
● Framework/Library: Django, ReactJS
● Communication: Slack
● DB: MySQL
● Version control: Git, Github
● Infrastructure: AWS
Note: We are looking for someone who has expertise in ReactJS and has intermediate knowledge of Django and AWS.
If you are interested in applying for this position, please send a CV, the names and contact details of three references, and a cover letter explaining your interest in the position and relevant expertise to email@example.com.
Please note a cover letter specific to motivation and relevance for this position is required for consideration.
Contact : firstname.lastname@example.org