Title: Emergency Medical Referral Translation Assistant
Total number of Consultants; 1
Country Program: Thailand Health Program
Proposed Dates: 1-May-2023 to 31-July-2023
Duration: 3 months
Application Deadline: 30 March 2023
Background of the project
The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises, helping to restore health, safety, education, economic well-being, and power to people devastat-ed by conflict and disaster. Founded in 1933 at the call of Albert Einstein, the IRC is at work in over 40 countries and 26 U.S. cities helping people to survive, reclaim control of their future and strengthen their communities. The IRC has been operating in Thailand since 1975 and currently provides assistance to displaced persons in Tak, Kanchanaburi, Ratchaburi and Mae Hong Son prov-inces.
Scope of work: The EMR Translation Assistant is to assist the referral of patients from camp to Thai hospital and back by direct supervision of Senior Health Manager and by the technical support of Senior Referral Officer.
1. Take care of patients at the Patient House (PH):
- Manage referrals according to IRC policy
- Follow up of patients from arrival to Umphang (PH/Thai hospital) to their departure to the camp
- Inform all patients and relatives about PH rules and regulations and supervise that they are fol-lowed
- Register all patients upon arrival at the PH or Thai hospital in case of an emergency
- Daily prepare the New Patient Registration form and sent to Thai hospital
- Record Daily summary of IPD patient and sent to Senior Medical Referral Officer twice a week
- Daily patient planning
- Record of hospital information upon discharge
- Daily inform KRC the number of companions of patient who admitted at hospital
- In case of suspect infectious diseases, take preventive measures
- In case of victim of SGBV, treat according to IRC protocol
- Check that referral documents, Lema (Medical record book) and any other papers of the patients (laboratory results, etc.) are correctly filled upon arrival and before departure to the camp (usually done by Thai doctor, if not EMRT staff responsible to fill up necessary and correct information)
- Ensure that treatment prescribed from hospital is well transmitted to the patient and camp medi-cal team
2. Take care and follow up of patients at Thai hospital:
- Make an appointment with necessary specialist for a consultation
- Organize transport to and from hospital for patients in coordination with IRC Umphang drivers.
- In case of hospitalization arrange administrative formalities upon admission and discharge
- Distribute the “Admission set” patient who hospitalization
- Assist patients during consultation, follow up and hospitalization
- Visit daily hospitalized patients
- Be aware of the patient diagnose and follow all tests that are being administered by Thai doctors in order to inform Senior Health Manager/ Senior Medical Referral Officer and to avoid too many tests or too long hospitalization
- Accompany and support to Senior Health Manager/ Senior Medical Referral Officer during hospi-tal visits
- In case of an unexpected medical development, inform on time Senior Health Manager.
- Act as a translator for patients/IRC doctors/hospital staffs in Karen (Burmese)/Thai/English
- Make sure patient follows the treatment prescribed while in hospital or PH
3. Additional responsibilities
- Participate in weekly team meetings
- Maintain effective communication with National and Camp Base Staffs.
- Take night and weekend shifts according to planning done by Senior Clinical Manager
- Respond to emergency situations, when necessary
- Follow that PH assets are in good condition
- Notify Senior Health Manager in case of need of maintenance in the PH or material supply
- Perform other related tasks and ad hoc activities assigned by supervisors and/or line manager.
The EMR Translation Assistant is to assist the referral of patients from the camp to Thai hospital and back and on call receiving emergency on day and night.
Payment Rate and Schedule:
• Payment shall be made by the IRC each month upon IRC’s receipt and acceptance of Pro-vider’s Timesheet and will be paid by bank transfer.
• IRC may withhold for taxes 3% as required by law and shall provide withholding certificates to the contractor, accordingly.
• Nurse or other medical background.
• Relevant work experience in a similar position.
• Experience in an NGO is an asset.
• Ability to work in low-resource settings.
• Strong coordination and communication skills
• Working knowledge of Thai, English, Karen and/or Burmese
• Team Player
Standards of Professional Conduct
The IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in the IRC Way – Code of Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, Accountability and Equality. In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Harassment-Free Workplace, Fiscal Integrity, Anti-Retaliation, Combating Trafficking in Persons, and several others.
Equal Opportunity Employer
IRC considers all applicants on the basis of merit without regard to race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
If you are interested, please submit your CV and Cover Letter to the below email.
Contact : Thailand.HR@rescue.org