Job Title: Senior Protection Officer
Department: Crisis Response, Recovery, and Development
Application Deadline: 29th March 2023
The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises, helping to restore health, safety, education, economic wellbeing, and power to people devastated by conflict and disaster. Founded in 1933 at the call of Albert Einstein, the IRC is at work in over 40 countries and 26 U.S. cities helping people to survive, reclaim control of their future and strengthen their communities. The IRC has been operating in Thailand since 1975 and currently provides assistant to displaced persons in Tak, Kanchanaburi, Ratchaburi and Mae Hong Son provinces.
The Senior Protection Officer supervises by Senior Protection Manager, The Senior Protection Officer will work closely with Protection and Legal Services team members from Mae Sot and Mae Hong Son offices to support Camp-Based Assistance (CBA) and Community Legal Volunteer (CLV)in coordination with relevant bodies both within in IRC and outside IRC including Camp and Thai Authorities, UNHCR and Service Providers on initial legal services and referral for smooth and fair justices both in camp dispute resolution and Thai Justice system for refugee in Thum Hin camp in Ratchaburi Province and Ban Don Yan camp in Kanchanaburi Province. The Senior Protection Officer will work closely with the Senior Protection Manager to strengthen and monitor access to the justice system and mechanism by building capacity and technical support to capacity to community-based justice officials and camp security in Thum Hin camp in Ratchaburi Province and Ban Don Yan camp in Kanchanaburi Province.
The Senior Protection Officer supervises the Camp-Based Assistants and also manages necessary on program administrative and offices both in town and camps.
• In close liaison Senior Protection Manager, Deputy Protection for Access to Justice Senior Legal Service Officer, be a key focal person to work with CLV and CBA in in Thum Hin camp in Ratchaburi Province and Ban Don Yan camp in Kanchanaburi Province on initial legal services including case intake and refer in coordination with IRC-Health and WPE, relevant agencies such as UNCHR, camp and Thai authorities and CBOs along camp and Thai Justice systems
• Support and work closely with Senior Protection Manager and Protection and Legal services staff to monitor, technical support and provide capacity building to CBA and CLV to be able to provide initial legal services to camp residents in in Thum Hin camp in Ratchaburi Province and Ban Don Yan camp in Kanchanaburi Province.
• Together with Senior Protection Manager and Protection and Legal services staff to identify problematic issues on rule of law and access to justice in in Thum Hin camp in Ratchaburi Province and Ban Don Yan camp in Kanchanaburi Province and jointly decide upon capacity needs and advocacy required by the protection team in order to strengthen rule of law and access to justice system and mechanism.
• Support and work closely with Senior Protection Manager and Protection and Legal services staff on technical support and build capacity to community-based justice officials, relevant authorities and service providers on Thai-law, ADR, MDRG, CSO and other identified needs of knowledge and skill.
• Coordinate with Protection and Legal Team, IRC-WPE, and other relevant agency to develop and provide training for prevention children from sexual abuse and exploitation (Feeling Yes and Feeling No Together with Senior Protection Manager in coordinate with Senior Durable Solution Officer, IRC-WPE, and other relevant agency to develop and provide training for prevention children from sexual abuse and exploitation (Feeling Yes and Feeling No)
• Establish linkages and maintain close cooperation with Refugee Leaders, Thai and Camp authorities, UNHCR, NGOs and CBOs and other relevant organizations/persons, about refugee protection, legal and human rights issues
• Supervise the Camp-Based Assistants in Thum Hin camp in Ratchaburi Province and Ban Don Yan camp in Kanchanaburi Province in the conduct of their work and ensuring, with other Protection and Legal services team members, that the CBAs are supported in their role.
• Provides administrative of Protection and Legal offices both in town and camps in Ratchaburi and Kanchanaburi.
• Collect information/data relating to all related activities, including data necessary for project indicators and implementation.
• Together with Senior Protection Manager and Protection and Legal services staff prepares monthly activity plans to ensure close integration of Protection and Empowerment Programs’ activities.
• Together with the Senior Protection Manager and Protection and Legal services staff prepare monthly and other reports as required.
Key Working Relationships:
Position Reports: Senior Protection Manager
Position directly supervises: Camp Based Assistance for Capacity building and Rule of Law services
Indirect Reporting: Protection and Legal Coordinator, Deputy Protection for Access to Justice, Senior Protection and Empowerment Coordinator, Deputy Protection for Durable Solution and Program
Other Internal and/or external contacts:
Internal: Durable solution team, access to justice team, Health programs, WPE programs, Livelihood Programs, RSC Programs, Technical/Program Coordinators; Finance Department; Human Resources Department; Logistics/Supply Chain
External: UNHCR, local government authorities e.g., camp commander, Camp Committee, Justice Committee, NGOs and CBOs;
• A University degree in relevant or high school certificate or post-ten diploma required
Work Experience and/or Demonstrated Abilities
• At least 3 years of work experience with humanitarian protection, laws and/or judicial system desirable
• Previous training experience and/or experience in humanitarian protection and law desirable
• Excellent communication and training skills
• Ability to multi-task and handle sensitive issues
• Effective personnel management skills
• Ability to deal with traumatized people in an effective and compassionate way
• Computer literate
• Fluent in Karen, and good command of English and Thai essential, Knowledge of Burmese is a plus
The position will be based in the IRC office in Chatphawhai- in Ratchaburi Province, with frequent travel to Thum Hin camp in Ratchaburi Province and Ban Don Yan camp in Kanchanaburi Province and as requires to refugee camps in another provinces.
Standards of Professional Conduct:
The IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in the IRC Way – Code of Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, Accountability and Equality. In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Harassment-Free Workplace, Fiscal Integrity, Anti-Retaliation, Combating Trafficking in Persons and several others.
Equal Opportunity Employer:
IRC considers all applicants on the basis of merit without regard to race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
If you are interested, please apply for this position via the below link:
Contact : HR Department