Position: Regional Advocacy and Civic Engagement Advisor
Assignment duration: 1 Year Fixed- Term Contract with possibility of extension
Duty station: Flexible - anywhere in Asia where PLAN has an office
Plan International is a rights-based development and humanitarian organization working for equality for girls and better lives for all children. We are independent of governments and have no political or religious affiliation.
Our purpose is to strive for a just world that advances children’s rights and equality for girls. We have been building powerful partnerships for children for more than 75 years, and are now active in more than 70 countries.
Plan International’s ambition for its policy and advocacy work is to drive changes in policies, behaviours and practices at international, regional, national and local levels, so as to advance children’s rights and equality for girls. Plan International’s Global Strategy aims to transform the lives of 100 million girls and implement a programme and influence approach to achieve it. Advocacy and influencing will play a key role in delivering results at scale.
Plan defines ‘influencing’ to describe the systematically planned, coordinated, and integrated range of activities - including research, policy
analysis, advocacy, public mobilization, strategic
communications and partnerships - that seek to change the behavior of one or more decision-makers to achieve development outcomes for children, particular girls, young women, and LGBTIQ+. In addition, the regional advocacy initiatives are implemented in collaboration with youth-led partners and ensure high-quality civil society strengthening, influencing and youth-engagement technical support to country offices in the region.
Core role and responsibilities:
- Creating opportunities and supporting the Regional Influencing and Policy Team members in the development of key advocacy messages, defining effective tactics and partnership strategies, leveraging our influencing strength in order to achieve the Plan APAC Regional Influencing Strategies 2021-2025.
- Exploring and facilitating strategic partnerships with CSOs, youth-led organizations, movement and other relevant stakeholders in the region to support Plan APAC’s priority agenda including the improvement of civic space for children and youth participation at the regional and national levels.
- Coordinating relationships with regional bodies, internal networks, partners and other external actors, etc.
- Contributing to positive policy change and improvement of civic space through partnership and advocacy with regional bodies (i.e. ASEAN, SAARC, UN, ADB, etc.),
- Supporting the regional civil society strengthening grant portfolio through the management of the core support provision to CRC Asia in partnership with Save the Children Philippines and contributing to capacity strengthening on influencing of CSO and youth partners.
- Identifying new issues and opportunities for regional influencing in order to advance girls’ rights, young people’s empowerment and participation, and leadership opportunities for girls across Asia.
- Monitoring the environment for civil society across Asia-Pacific and ensure analysis is shared with COs and relevant networks.
- Support the development and roll-out of new models and methods to effectively engage girls’ led gender quality movements as part of existing or new program initiatives.
- Providing capacity strengthening and technical support on developing and implementing influencing strategies and activities, and civic space strengthening initiatives to COs, CSO partners, youth partners, movement among others on influencing, etc.
- Strengthening Plan APAC’s work on inclusion (such as LGBTIQ+ rights, people living with disability, ethnic minority group, indigenous, etc.) and contributing to the work of Country Offices on this issue.
- Play a supporting role in helping to connect and support Plan International offices in Asia as part of the regional working group to scale up efforts to end Child, Early, and Forced Marriage (CEFM).
- Support regional thematic leads in child protection, gender equality, youth employment and climate change to maintain and expand relationships with regional bodies and institutions, as well as networks with civil society and other potential partners.
- Support the wider regional office in the monitoring and implementation of the regional influencing workplan.
- Support Country Offices in the design, review, monitoring and implementation of national influencing strategies and their work on human rights promotion and civic space strengthening.
- Work with thematic leads and the regional communications/campaign team to effectively position Plan International as an organization effectively contributing to long-term change around gender equality, girls’ rights, leadership and activism.
- Contribute to the realization of Plan International’s global campaign (“Girls Get Equal”) in Asia; support campaigns team to identify issues for public mobilization with a focus on using campaign tactics to secure defined “wins” that will advance the cause of gender equality, girls’ rights, and protection of young human rights defenders in Asia.
- Develop materials to support influencing, including reports, briefing materials, policy briefs, and key messages for a variety of stakeholders.
- Represent Plan International at external meetings and events include the Asia Hub and the Asia Region in internal Plan International working groups
ENTRY QUALIFICATIONS, SKILLS & EXPERIENCE:
Knowledge and Experience
- A university degree in development, gender, politics, human rights or a relevant field.
- Demonstrated experience in using key influencing strategies such as advocacy, lobbying, movement building, or policy development.
- Experience in carrying out power, policy, civic space and political analysis to inform strategies and projects.
- Experience in developing and delivering advocacy strategies in development/humanitarian contexts.
- Experience in working with children, girls, young people, LGBTIQ+ including young human rights defenders.
- Commitment to gender equality, girls’ rights.
- Good understanding of the development and NGO sector.
- Experience of working with coalitions and networks.
- Demonstrated understanding of Asian political contexts.
- Proven writing ability in blogs, reports, briefs, analyses and written testimony
How to apply:
For candidate who are interesting in this position, please click on the link below to apply through our recruitment system.
If you have any further queries or any difficult in apply through that channel, please contact Janjira Sribanbark ( firstname.lastname@example.org )
Closing date for applications: 19 February 2023
Reference & background checks will be performed for successful candidates including clearances on child related offences in conformity with Plan’s Child Protection Policy. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
ผู้ประสานงาน / Coordinatorนักพัฒนาโครงการ / Creative project developerนักกิจกรรม / Activistนักพัฒนางานเขียน / Creative content developer