Position Title: Research Methods Advisor
Position Reference: 220609
Position Location: Remote-based with travel
Timeframe: At will, and as funding is available.
Assigned Unit/Team: COAR Global
Supervisor: Managing Director
Overview: This scope of work (SoW) outlines the Research Methods Advisor role with the Center for
Operational Analysis and Research (COAR). The Research Methods Advisor will be expected to
produce deliverables (as outlined below) through an understanding of Research Methodologies,
contextual knowledge, and the donor funded humanitarian and development response. The Research
Methods Advisor will be expected to support and advise all COAR country teams: Syria, Myanmar,
Lebanon, Libya, and Ukraine, with academically rigorous methodologies that are customized as
needed to suit different contexts.
About COAR: COAR is an independent social enterprise that directly supports practitioners,
policymakers, and donors by facilitating humanitarian and development interventions in complex,
fragile, and high-risk environments.
● Design research methodologies for new and ongoing projects which include: monitoring
contextual updates, quantitative and qualitative data collection, atmospherics, etc.
● Support analysts and researchers on the analysis of collected quantitative and qualitative data
● Train analysts and field teams on data collection and data analysis software/apps: Kobo,
● Review finalized data synthesis and analysis for accuracy and consistency
● Participate in client briefings concerning methodologies, assessments, or other outputs
● Participate in designing methodologies in proposals, concept notes, and other relevant
The Research Methods Advisor will:
A. Design and Develop Methodologies
● Lead on research design, data collection, and analysis as per client/project specifications, and
addressing main themes including but not limited to conflict, politics, governance, economy,
society, gender, humanitarian and development issues, and specific topics requested by
clients, by utilizing traditional and non-traditional information sources and networks;
● Lead on the development of research methodologies for both ongoing projects and
proposals/bids, providing/drafting a detailed description of the suggested method to be
● Lead on the development of research tools (questionnaires, survey, KIIs etc.) in collaboration
with the Team Leads and Analysts;
● Support on COAR's TPM workstream by advising on processes and reviewing tools, project
reviews (logframes, indicators, etc), and outlining final mission reports.
B. Data Collection and Analysis
● Guide Analysts on the requirements of monitoring and verification throughout the data
● Support Analysts and/or Information Management team as needed on issues related to data
● Work closely with Analysts and Researchers on data analysis, guiding them through the
process of data synthesis and advising on analysis techniques and software to be utilized (if
● Guide and advise Analysts on the structure of long research pieces;
● Review and comment on synthesized/analyzed research material, with specific attention to
bias, generalizations and hyperbole.
C. Training & Manual Development
● Train Field focal points on data collection processes and ethical consideration, enabling them
to train data collectors and enumerators;
● Train Analysts on quantitative and qualitative data collection and analysis software/apps: Kobo,
Dedoose, and on the application of developed methodologies;
● Develop manuals to standardize data collection processes and commitment to ethical
considerations across COAR’s programs/teams;
● Collate developed methodologies in a clearly structured and organized document/folder,
allowing for different country teams to borrow and customize existing resources.
● Advise and guide the Team Lead and Analysts on emerging or new research methods relevant
to COAR and its clients;
● Provide expert consultation, support, and feedback to researchers and analysts;
● Attend client meetings as required to better explain and reflect COAR’s work methodologies;
● Actively support COAR’s networking and data gathering needs by leveraging existing networks
and identifying primary sources;
● Adhere to COAR’s code of conduct and safeguarding policies at all times.
Qualifications and Experience
The ideal candidate for COAR Expert Consultant will have:
● A post-graduate in Anthropology, Political Science, International Affairs/Relations, Public Policy,
Sociology, or a related field. Doctorate desirable;
● At least 10 years of practical experience in the protracted crisis contexts, with a substantial and
proven research and analysis record, and a body of peer-reviewed published work;
● Experience gathering sensitive primary information from a trusted personal and professional network
● Past experience with international non-governmental organizations and/or UN agencies (required);
Strong experience in humanitarian and/or development project cycle, M&E and/or TPM experience is
● Demonstrated ability and/or willingness to facilitate the establishment of a team and indirectly
support with capacity development;
● Commitment to discretion and confidentiality.
Applicants should submit their CV and Cover Letter to firstname.lastname@example.org quoting the name of the
position and Reference Number in the subject line of the email.
Due to a high volume of received applications, only successful candidates will be contacted.
All applications will be treated in strict confidentiality.
Contact : email@example.com
Contact : firstname.lastname@example.org