This position is advertised open to internal and external applicants.
Applicants should consult the Recruitment and Assignment of Locally Recruited Staff (RALS), UNHCR/AI/2020/1/Rev. 2 dated 16 March 2021. If you have questions regarding your eligibility, you may also contact the HR Unit.
Internal candidates: An applicant who has internal status is
1) a staff member holding an indefinite or fixed-term appointment in any duty station in the country.
2) Former UNHCR General Service staff members, having held an indefinite or fixed-term appointment for an uninterrupted period of at least one year may apply for internally advertised vacancies at their previous grade or equivalent or one grade above, if the seniority requirements are met, for a period of two years following separation.
3) Candidates who have been granted group 2 status.
External candidates: All the others who meet the essential minimum requirements of the position. Applicants who are not citizens of the country must comply with all eligibility requirements for employment in line with the prevailing legislative prerequisites in the country.
For internal candidates (Group 1 & Group 2): If you are a current employee of our organization or have been enrolled in Group 2, please use the following link instead:
For external candidates: Please submit your letter of motivation, signed Personal History Form by e-mail-mail clearly stating the position title, Job ID and your Last Name in the subject line to RBAPHR@UNHCR.ORG by the closing date.
Organizational Setting and Work Relationships
The Senior Driver mainly drives for the Head of Office and other high ranking officials. The incumbent is normally supervised directly by the Administrative Officer/Associate/Assistant or other staff member when the scale of the Operation so requires it. Besides driving, s/he is responsible for up keep and maintenance of the assigned UNHCR vehicle(s) as per technical guidance and specifications established by the Organisation. S/he is required to follow strict instructions and security guidance provided by the supervisor. While basic function of a Senior Driver is to drive the official vehicles of UNHCR, s/he may be called upon to perform minor maintenance and repair of UNHCR vehicles and may perform clerical, maintenance and other support services that deem necessary for office administration. S/he may as well provide interpretation services.
The Senior Driver has regular contacts with staff within the UNHCR Office and with others (including Partners, government authorities, etc.) outside UNHCR involving limited exchange of information.
All UNHCR staff members are accountable to perform their duties as reflected in their job description. They do so within their delegated authorities, in line with the regulatory framework of UNHCR which includes the UN Charter, UN Staff Regulations and Rules, UNHCR Policies and Administrative Instructions as well as relevant accountability frameworks. In addition, staff members are required to discharge their responsibilities in a manner consistent with the core, functional, cross-functional and managerial competencies and UNHCR’s core values of professionalism, integrity and respect for diversity.
In addition to the driving duties and responsibilities, the incumbent will be required to perform general clerical tasks to support the administration team. The tasks include on a regular basis submission of various documents to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, submission of applications and pick up of processed visas from various embassies for UNHCR staff members travelling on UNHCR official missions. The incumbent will regularly be in contact with Immigration Office to process a submission of stay permit and re-entry visa in respect of UNHCR staff members and eligible family members. S/he is expected to assist the admin team in registering and renewing registration of official vehicles as well as the registration and renewal of international staff member’s vehicles at the Department of Land Transport. S/he will keep monitoring the validity of office vehicle insurance and liaison with admin colleagues for its timely renewal. S/he will coordinate with the admin colleagues in preparing VAT submission in the ePrivilege system and in disseminating VAT certificates to relevant suppliers. Lastly, s/he will be responsible for entering vehicle information into Fleetwave application on a monthly basis.
- Drive UNHCR vehicle mainly for the Head of Office and other high-ranking officials.
- Drive UNHCR vehicles for the transport of authorized passengers, deliver and collect documents, and other items.
- Meet official personnel at airports or other locations and facilitate immigration and customs formalities as required.
- Perform day-to-day maintenance of the assigned vehicles; check oil, water, battery, brakes, tires, etc. and ensure that the assigned UNHCR vehicles are road or waterway worthy and maintained up to the established security standards.
- Perform minor repairs and arrange for other repairs and ensure that the vehicle is kept clean.
- Ensure that the steps required by rules and regulations, or other local requirements, are taken in case of involvement in an accident.
- Log official trips, daily mileage, gas consumption, oil changes, greasing, etc. and prepare reports on usage as required.
- Ensures valid documentation for passengers, items or cargo in vehicle.
- In the absence of an interpreter, assist with basic interpretation services.
- Perform other related duties as required.
Education & Professional Work Experience
Years of Experience / Degree Level
For G3D - 2 years relevant experience with Completion of Primary Education or High School Diploma or higher
Field(s) of Education
(Field(s) of Education marked with an asterisk* are essential)
Certificates and/or Licenses
Auto Mechanics Certificate;
(Certificates and Licenses marked with an asterisk* are essential)
Relevant Job Experience
Driving licence, knowledge of driving rules and regulations.
* DV-Driving Rules and Regulations;
DV - Basic Vehicle Mechanical Skills;
(Functional Skills marked with an asterisk* are essential)
Knowledge of English and/or UN working language of the duty station if not English.
All jobs at UNHCR require six core competencies and may also require managerial competencies and/or cross-functional competencies. The six core competencies are listed below.
Teamwork & Collaboration
Commitment to Continuous Learning
Client & Result Orientation
Planning and Organizing
This is a Standard Job Description for all UNHCR jobs with this job title and grade level. The Operational Context may contain additional essential and/or desirable qualifications relating to the specific operation and/or position. Any such requirements are incorporated by reference in this Job Description and will be considered for the screening, shortlisting and selection of candidates.