The ICRC Regional Delegation in Bangkok seeks to fill the following position:
Humanitarian Affairs Officer
Based in Bangkok
The ICRC regional delegation in Bangkok provides assistance to victims of violence and works with authorities in order to improve the conditions in detention facilities, covering operations in Thailand, Cambodia, Laos and Vietnam. It also endeavors to promote and to strengthen humanitarian law and universal humanitarian principles.
The Humanitarian Affairs Officer helps the Humanitarian Affairs department to develop the ICRC’s strategy and efforts in terms of humanitarian diplomacy, in the sub-region, helping to improve the level of knowledge and acceptance of humanitarian concerns, international humanitarian law, other relevant norms and principles in the sub-region and within international/regional institutions.
He/She seconds the Management of Bangkok Regional Delegation and the Humanitarian Affairs Advisor in Thailand and three other States of the Mekong Region (Cambodia, Lao PDR and Vietnam) to identify, connect with and maintain up-to date networks of interlocutors and mapping of key contacts, including in governments, parliaments, public services, academic, religious and civil society groups, with adapted databases for information sharing and knowledge management.
Your main responsibilities:
- Supports the Humanitarian Affairs Advisor to achieve objectives and activities of the Humanitarian Affairs Department; in close contact with the Management follows specific lines of work and issues of interest of the delegation;
- Carries out institutional analysis of the groups/networks and issues linked to them in his/her area or expertise;
- Supports the Humanitarian Affairs Advisor and the Management in the Delegation networking strategy with the four countries of the Mekong Region and their environment (including in relation to Myanmar and China). Contributes to devising networking priorities set by the Humanitarian Affairs Department and the Management;
- Manages information through accurate reporting, database maintenance, exchanges between sub-sites and delegations and, more generally, by rigorously documenting relevant developments in the context and workstreams he or she is associated with;\
- Provides written analysis on the political, security, social and humanitarian environment in the region and concerned countries, as well as targeted research on issues of interest for the ICRC;
- Develops a 'network of trust' at field delegate/officer level within ICRC sites across the region, thus contributing to ICRC’s analysis, acceptance, relevance and security;
- Helps to establish and maintain a comprehensive stakeholder database, by supporting the identification and mobilization of key interlocutors;
- Helps in organizing internal/external seminars and workshops tailored for specific external audiences;
- Assists in developing the ICRC’s global/regional/national roadmap for humanitarian diplomacy, multilateral affairs and policy in the Mekong region and towards the diplomatic hub in Bangkok;
- Creates, prioritizes and helps to manage external speaking opportunities for ICRC representatives including at the highest level;
- Support preparations and/or attends conferences, seminars and bilateral meetings, which may involve research work, speechwriting, speaking points, reporting and follow-up;
- Understands and adheres to the seven Fundamental Principles of the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement.
- Understands and adheres to the ICRC Code of Conduct.
- Understands the roles of the components of the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement.
- Respects and observes staff regulations and security rules at all times.
- Represents the ICRC in a professional manner at all times.
- Develops and maintains a pleasant and conducive working environment with colleagues and line managers.
- Performs all duties with the highest level of confidentiality in the interest of the employees and the ICRC.
- May be asked to perform tasks not covered in this job description and to provide support to other departments when necessary.
- 4-6 years' overall professional experience (preferably with international organizations) and ability to work within a multicultural team
- University degree (preferably a master's) in humanities
- Fluent command of English and Thai; additional language like Chinese or language used in the Mekong region is an asset
- Proven capacity to create a network of new contacts and partners to map the environment and identify new humanitarian issues
- Ability to work efficiently and effectively under pressure and to react within short notice;
- Excellent analytical, communication, presentation, and networking skills
- Excellent organizational abilities, sense of initiative and setting priorities
- Ability and willingness to travel throughout the ASEAN region.
- Demonstrated autonomy, motivation and commitment
- Computer proficiency
- Dynamic and challenging work environment in the humanitarian and international environment.
- Initial 1-year employment contract with possibility of renewal.
- A competitive salary with benefits.
Deadline for applications: 8 August 2021
Qualified applicants are requested to submit their comprehensive CV and letter of motivation in English, as well as salary expectations, following this format for the subject line: POSITION – First Name Surname by email only to: email@example.com
Starting date: October
Kindly note that only short-listed candidates will be invited for the interview
เจ้าหน้าที่ประจำสำนักงาน / Officer