Asylum Access is a leading refugee human rights organization headquartered in Oakland, CA with substantial operations in three countries plus partnerships in additional countries across Africa, Asia, and Latin America. Asylum Access is the only global organization working to make human rights a reality for refugees in first countries of refuge. Asylum Access believes that by empowering refugees to assert their human rights, we can create effective, lasting solutions for refugees around the world. When refugees can rebuild their lives, communities thrive.
Founded in 2007, Asylum Access Thailand (AAT) is a non-governmental organization and forms part of the Asylum Access family. We work to make human rights a reality for refugees. We believe all refugees deserve a fair chance to rebuild their lives. Since most refugees cannot go home and very few are resettled, we find ways to help refugees live safely, move freely, work and attend school while they are here. AAT’s work involves advocacy for policy and legislation changes, individual legal services in relation to refugee status determination and legal protection; and refugee support and empowerment.
The Refugee Status Determination (RSD) Team Lead assists the Legal Solutions Manager in refugee status determination cases with UNHCR. The RSD Team Lead will also assist the Legal Solutions Manager in the preparation of the team to provide technical support to Thai authorities and be legal representative of clients when the national screening mechanism (NSM) is in place in the near future.
- Maintain good working knowledge of guidelines, processes and procedures of international and local refugee status screening mechanisms;
- Screen and prioritize clients for refugee status claims;
- Provide legal advice to clients on screening procedure of UNHCR and Thai government (Group/Individual)
- In collaboration with the Legal Solutions Manager (LSM), train relevant staff and volunteers to conduct regular workshops providing information about RSD/NSM applications and durable solution options to refugees and asylum seekers in the community are delivered;
- Provide full legal representation where appropriate for RSD/NSM. Functions related to representation of RSD/NSM cases include (but are not limited to) the following:
- Preparation of written statements
- Assisting in the drafting of legal arguments/submissions
- Obtaining documents to support client cases such as witness statements, medical reports, etc.
- Preparation of clients for RSD/NSM interviews
- Follow-up on the status of client cases with the UNHCR/the Thai authorities
- Undertake country of origin research to support individual claims as well as for general organizational research purposes; maintain knowledge of current political and social situation in the countries of origin of AAT's clients;
- Identify cases appropriate for special consideration by UNHCR and draft such requests to be submitted by weekly correspondence to UNHCR;
- Submit quarterly work report to Legal Solutions Manager;
- Provide case reporting data to the Legal Solutions Manager as requested in order to accurately report work to AAHQ, funders and others;
- Undertake special projects for the Legal Team, including legal outreach, if time and resources permit;
- Attend and contribute to weekly Team meetings and other staff meetings, assist in the recruitment of VLAs, participate in annual planning and development of new projects;
- Maintain strong financial records and procedures as per the AAT Finance policy, and ensure proper financial documentation of all activities;
- Undertake comprehensive case management practices, including maintaining database records and keeping detailed notes of all case work activities;
- Adhere to the Nairobi Code of Ethics, AAT Code of Conduct, policies, and manuals.
Staffs and VLAs Support:
- Supervise RSD Associate, full and part-time VLAs on the RSD team in their work of advising and representing asylum seekers and refugees, review VLA written submissions and workload, conduct on-going training and supervision of RSD Association VLAs
- Assist other members of the Legal Team where appropriate regarding issues related to the urban refugee population.
Relationship Building and Networking:
- Support the Legal Solutions Manager in advocacy with UNHCR regarding the RSD/RST process;
- Build and maintain relationships with staff and operational partners to ensure the smooth running of the project;
- Build and maintain strong relationships with asylum seeker and refugee communities in Bangkok.
- Support Director in policy advocacy with focuses on refugee screening mechanisms, international human rights mechanisms and other relevant international policy on refugees;
- Any other work as assigned by supervisor.
- University degree in law.
- Extensive experience in development fields, especially in human rights. Refugee rights is an advantage.
- Thorough understanding of the context of refugees in Thailand, including both national and international legal frameworks;
- Demonstrated ability to work with people in vulnerable situations, such as trauma survivors.
- Fluent English with a high level of writing and drafting legal documents;
- A positive and out-going attitude with the ability to work well in a diverse and multi- cultural office.
- Intermediate working knowledge of Gmail, Google Drive, and related tools (Docs, Sheets, Calendar, etc.)
Hours and Location of Work
The RSD Team Lead is a full-time position based in our offices in Bangkok, Thailand. Candidates should be aware that some flexibility regarding working hours is required in order to take out of hours calls and meetings with international colleagues.
Position comes with a competitive nonprofit salary, and a robust benefits package.
How to Apply:
Please apply via the link here: https://asylumaccessco.bamboohr.com/jobs/view.php?id=39&source=aWQ9MjI%3D
Asylum Access is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. For more information about our organization, visit www.asylumaccess.org
ผู้ประสานงาน / Coordinatorเจ้าหน้าที่ประจำสำนักงาน / Officer