The ICRC Regional Delegation in Bangkok
seeks to fill the following position:
Environmental Scanning (ES) Officer
Based in Bangkok
The ICRC regional delegation in Bangkok provides assistance to victims of violence and works with authorities in order to improve the conditions in detention facilities, covering operations in Thailand, Cambodia, Laos and Vietnam. It also endeavors to promote and to strengthen humanitarian law and universal humanitarian principles.
The ES Officer supports decision-making by proactively identifying, monitoring and analysing information from a variety of public sources in line with the delegation's priorities. S/He contextualizes and links the selected information with the political, economic and security environment and performs systematic monitoring of the reputation of the ICRC and National Red Cross or Red Crescent Society in local languages or local media.
Your main responsibilities:
- In collaboration with the Regional Communication Manager, s/he monitors, gathers, and processes information in the Mekong sub-region (Thailand, Cambodia, Laos, and Vietnam) from the media – including social media and relevant resources – on issues related to humanitarian situation, regional affairs/ASEAN, geopolitics and related developments.
- Translates and produces summaries into English for internal communication.
- Identifies and monitors a variety of public sources that are relevant for the ICRC (with specific focus on local languages where possible) on issues related to the delegation's communication and operational objectives, in order to alert on risks and opportunities.
- Adds value to the information by connecting the dots between events and linking the information to the wider political, social and economic situation using facts and data.
- Identifies influencers in order to support public and operational communication.
- Proactively explores, identifies and analyses emerging issues and trends.
- Reports efficiently and succinctly on the selected information by providing quantitative and qualitative analysis and a description of the trends and dynamics observed in public sources, including social media.
- In times of crisis, adapts monitoring and reporting to support the delegation's priorities and challenges.
- Monitors and measures the visibility of the ICRC and National Red Cross or Red Crescent Society.
- Regularly assesses the added value of the contributions/services with end-users.
- Supports big data analysis performed by relevant units in headquarters and/or regional hubs by qualifying and validating local data and sources.
- Understands and adheres to the seven Fundamental Principles of the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement.
- Understands and adheres to the ICRC Code of Conduct.
- Understands the roles of the components of the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement.
- Respects and observes staff regulations and security rules at all times.
- Represents the ICRC in a professional manner at all times.
- Develops and maintains a pleasant and conducive working environment with colleagues and line managers.
- Performs all duties with the highest level of confidentiality in the interest of the employees and the ICRC.
- May be asked to perform tasks not covered in this job description and to provide support to other departments when necessary.
- University degree (or equivalent) in International Relations, Political Science, Public Policy Studies, Journalism or similar field.
- Strongly motivated by humanitarian work, with capacity to engage, persuade and influence others.
- Excellent command of spoken and written English and Thai. Knowledge of Khmer, Lao, and/or Vietnamese an asset.
- Computer literacy; good knowledge of Microsoft Office.
- Strong track record in secondary research (information sourcing, data collection, manipulation) and analysis reporting.
- Ability to take initiative, be self-motivated and can work independently.
- Dynamic and challenging work environment in the humanitarian and international environment.
- Initial 1-year employment contract with possibility of renewal.
- A competitive salary with benefits.
Deadline for applications: 30 June 2021
Qualified applicants are requested to submit their comprehensive CV and letter of motivation in English, as well as salary expectations, following this format for the subject line: POSITION – First Name Surname by email only to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Starting date: 1 August 2021
Kindly note that only short-listed candidates will be invited for the interview
นักวิจัย / Researcher