UNODC Vacancy Announcement
Post Title: National Programme Officer (Cybercrime Communication)
Duty Station: UNODC Regional Office for Southeast Asia and the Pacific
Type of Contract: Service Contract (SB-4/SC-8 level)
Open to Thai national only
Remuneration: Starting Baht 1,145,400 per annum
Duration: One year with possibility of renewal subject to funding availability
Application Deadline: Thursday 22nd April 2021 (Midnight Bangkok Time)
The United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime (UNODC) is a global leader in the fight against illicit drugs and international crime, including terrorism. It is a leading provider of specialized assistance to Governments for addressing the legal, criminal justice and rule of law aspects of counter narcotics, crime prevention and counter-terrorism. It operates in all regions of the world through an extensive network of field offices.
Under the overall supervision of the UNODC Regional Representative of ROSEAP, and direct supervision of the Regional Cybercrime Coordinator, the National Communications Officer will be responsible for the project implementation, planning and coordination of the communication activities related to project activities in general, and demonstrational pilot projects in particular, ensuring that all communication products/outputs are delivered in a timely manner, of high quality, and disseminated to all relevant target groups. The national communications officer shall provide professional support and expertise to ensure effective and timely arrangements for all activities related to the organization and implementation of mass media campaigns, conferences, workshops, meetings, presentations, round table discussions, seminars, etc. The NPO will also receive and act on requests for assistance from other UNODC initiatives having activities in Southeast Asia and the Pacific.
II. Functions / Key Outputs Expected
Summary of Key Functions:
- Formulation and implementation of programme communication and advocacy strategies
- Monitoring and evaluation of specific awareness campaigns
- Creation of strategic media partnerships and implementation of the resource mobilization strategy
Ensures formulation and implementation of programme communication and advocacy strategies focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Assess media needs and opportunities, propose and support development, implementation, and monitoring of complex strategies for media communication and relations, web and digital media, social media platforms, audio-visual production, etc., at the regional level and for specific programme areas.
- Develop/produce communication and advocacy instruments and materials for awareness-raising campaigns, including briefing materials and press releases and articles for websites, donor reports and other publications, in coordination with the supervisor.
- Develop targeted messages and graphics for a variety of social media platforms leveraging communications strategy to enhance search engine hits and ensure continued engagement of target audience.
- Develop and implement compelling and innovative public awareness campaigns to engage variety of audiences. (preferably in the field of internet and technology)
- Engage with targeted influencers for relevant awareness campaigns.
- Manage and supervise media agencies for the success of campaigns delivery.
- Assess and report on the results of campaigns as well as implement improvements.
- Support development and execution of advocacy campaigns for UNODC initiatives to ensure visibility in relevant media.
- Draft and disseminate quarterly newsletters and media clippings to relevant partners;
- Integrate communication, advocacy and outreach strategies into proposals for project/programmes and other initiatives, as necessary;
- Promote and disseminate corporate advocacy materials for launching initiatives, publications and campaigns;
Participates in effective monitoring and evaluation of specific awareness campaigns focusing on quality control from formulation to implementation of the programme achieving the following results:
- Timely and efficient project management of awareness and communication projects, including project and budget revisions, reporting and monitoring, and provision of all necessary documents for efficient negotiations with external counterparts;
- Regular monitoring and evaluation of activities, including social media presence, are undertaken according to the work plan to ensure maximum impact and continuous improvement of communication efforts.
- Support preparation and timely submission of monthly, annual reports and final report;
- Monitor and analyse statistics related to websites and communications products.
- Organize and analyse data related to the communications products.
- Assist in managing, monitoring and evaluating grants as required;
- Participate and deliver periodic assessments of the project progress and performance;
- Prepare a variety of written outputs that relate to the implementation of the project such as background papers, progress reports, mission reports, briefing, and presentations
Supports creation of strategic media partnerships and implementation of the resource mobilization strategy focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Develop strategic media partnerships and sustain professional relationships with journalists and other key external constituencies at national, regional and international level with emphasis on Southeast Asia.
- Ensure wide media coverage and dissemination of UNODC’s strategy and activities. Assist in arranging coverage for UNODC events liaising closely with third-party contractors on production and advocacy design for videos, print and/or other media outputs.
- Identify and pursue opportunities to publicize UNODC Regional initiatives further. Propose and assist in the coordination of activities to engage media via press conferences, familiarization trips, events launch, etc.
- Provide advice to UNODC Cybercrime Programme Coordinator and to Cybercrime Programme Officers on media-related matters, facilitate and support press inquiries/releases for colleagues in the Cybercrime Programme.
III. Impact of Results
Enhanced capacity of criminal justice and law enforcement officials in the region to prevent and fight cybercrime – Improved mechanisms for international cooperation in criminal matters related to cybercrime and related offences – Strengthened partnerships and synergies with internal and external stakeholders in the field of countering and preventing cybercrime and related offences.
IV. Competencies and Critical Success Factor
Demonstrates integrity by modeling the UN’s values and ethical standards;
Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of UNODC;
Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability.
Professionalism: Sound knowledge of project management, including financial management, strategic planning, monitoring and reporting. Ability to identify issues, analyze and participate in the resolution of issues/problems. Ability to assist with data collection using various methods. Conceptual analytical and evaluative skills to conduct independent research and analysis, including familiarity with and experience in the use of various research sources, including electronic sources on the internet, intranet and other databases. Ability to apply judgment in the context of assignments given, plan own work and manage conflicting priorities. Good knowledge and understanding of theories, concepts and approaches relevant to criminal justice in general and cybercrime in particular. Good knowledge of the mandates, priorities and operational modalities of UNODC’s crime prevention and criminal justice efforts. Good analytical and problem-solving skills, including ability to identify and contribute to the solution of problems/issues; sound judgement and political sensibility.
Communication: Effective communication (spoken, written and presentational) skills. Ability to prepare, consolidate inputs and finalize programmatic reports, project documents and other relevant material in a well-articulated and timely fashion. Ability to tailor the tone and style of communication to better suit the given audience.
Technological awareness: Full proficiency in relevant office computer applications, especially Word, Excel, Internet and Outlook, and commitment to keeping abreast of new technologies, especially in the field of cybercrime.
V. Recruitment Qualifications
|Thai National with Advanced University degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in journalism, media, public relations, communications, political or social science, or related field is required. A first-level university degree in similar fields in combination with two additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university.
- At least two (2) years of work experience for Bachelor’s or up to two (2) years of Master’s holders is required in the development, planning and implementation of communication strategies, public relations, marketing, public info/media relations, journalism and/or relevant social sciences.
- Experience in crafting messages in various formats (press releases, success stories, blog entries, features, etc.) targeting a variety of audiences is required.
- Experience working with Governments, civil society, international organizations and donors is required.
- Experience in criminal justice matters and familiarity with project formulation, implementation, monitoring and evaluation, as well as exposure to international development cooperation, are desirable.
- Experience in the planning, organizing and delivery of technical assistance activities is desirable.
- Professional experience with the United Nations or other International Organizations is desirable.
Excellent command of written and spoken English and local language.
Knowledge of one or more of the national languages is highly desirable. Knowledge of other UN official languages is an advantage.
HOW TO APPLY:
Interested applicants should submit the following documents:
(a) Letter of interest clearly stating suitability for the position;
(b) UN Personal History Form and detailed curriculum vitae based on the criteria stated above.
UN Personal History Form can be downloaded from
Application deadline Thursday 22nd April 2021 (Midnight Bangkok Time)
Note: (a) Please clearly indicate the position you are applying for in the subject line of the email.
(b) Failure to submit supporting documents as specified in the advertisement will result in an incomplete application. Applicants who submit incomplete applications will NOT be considered.
Qualified female candidates are encouraged to apply.
Due to the high volume of applications, only pre-selected candidates will be contacted.
ผู้ประสานงาน / Coordinatorนักพัฒนาโครงการ / Creative content developerเจ้าหน้าที่ประจำสำนักงาน / Officerผู้ช่วย / Assistantผู้จัดการโปรเจค / Project manager