The ICRC Regional Delegation in Bangkok seeks to fill the following position:
Public Relations Officer
The Public Relations Officer is the focal point for all public communication activities in the delegation, in coordination with the management and the Communication or Communication/Prevention Manager. S/he leads in defining the delegation’s messages and content-generation planning to enhance and manage the delegation’s profile in the media and through public channels. S/he advises the delegation on public communication issues, opportunities and challenges and contributes to implementing the public engagement and digital strategies.
- Develops and implements the delegation's public communication plan in coordination with the Communication or Communication/Prevention Manager and ensures it is implemented in the field sub-structures. Contributes to the sections on public communication objectives in the ICRC's annual planning and reporting documents (e.g. Planning for Results, Biannual Field Report).
- Develops strategies for promoting the ICRC’s activities to the media and maintains regular contacts with editors and correspondents. Acts as a spokesperson.
- Enhances the visibility of the RD with media, journalists, influencers, etc.
- Organizes and manages media events and field trips when required and feasible.
- Drafts news releases and updates press lines in coordination with the Communication or Communication/Prevention Manager and the regional or headquarters-based Public Relations Officer.
- Oversees production of the delegation's public communication materials. Develops and contributes to communication campaigns and tools to raise awareness about humanitarian issues.
- Plans, produces and publishes content for digital platforms managed by the delegation. Works with the regional communication centres and relevant units at headquarters to generate content for global platforms using a network of photographers, audio-visual specialists and writers, including communication specialists within the delegation.
- Regularly reviews the effectiveness and impact of ICRC public communication activities and oversees monitoring of key issues related to how the ICRC is perceived in traditional and social media.
- Builds the public communication capacity of the National Red Cross/Red Crescent Society and ensures smooth coordination on public communication with all components of the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement, especially during crises and joint Movement response.
- Provides coaching and guidance on public communication to staff in field structures and other departments.
- Other tasks and responsibilities as assigned.
Qualifications and Skills:
- At least 5 years' work experience in a field relevant to communication, with at least 2–3 years in media relations and content generation (inside or outside the ICRC).
- Excellent public communication skills and sound knowledge of the media environment.
- University degree in a relevant discipline such as political science, international relations, journalism, communication management or public relations.
- Fluent spoken and written English and Thai. Additional languages encompassing the region (Khmer, Laos, Vietnamese) an asset.
- Computer skills (competence in MS Office and other software); familiarity with digital communication tools.
- Knowledge of ICRC working modality or other international NGOs an asset.
- A rewarding and enriching work in an international humanitarian environment
- Initial 1-year of employment contract with possibility of renewable
- Initial training and on-boarding organised
- Possibilities of working in a fast-paced environment and to help victims
- A competitive salary with benefits
The closing date for the post will be: 20 March 2021
Qualified applicants are requested to submit their comprehensive CV and letter of motivation in English, as well as salary expectations, following this format for the subject line: POSITION – First Name Surname by email only to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Starting date: ASAP
Kindly note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted for the interview
เจ้าหน้าที่ประจำสำนักงาน / Officer