Accountability Counsel is seeking a motivated, mission-driven advocate to join us as a Communities Consultant based in Thailand. This is a rare opportunity to be part of a growing, fast-paced, leading organization that works to achieve accountability for human rights and environmental abuses caused by international finance.
The Communities Consultant will be part of Accountability Counsel’s Communities program, reporting to the Communities Director. The Communities Associate will provide legal support for communities in Asia harmed by internationally-financed projects. We are seeking someone as equally talented at sensitively working with communities at the local level, as they are effective at international advocacy.
This is a 12 month position with the possibility of renewal. Due to COVID-19, all team members are working remotely for the foreseeable future.
About Accountability Counsel
Our mission: We amplify the voices of communities to protect their human rights and environment.
Our approach: Our team of world-class attorneys works directly with communities challenging abuses financed from abroad. We do not litigate in courts, but instead specialize in the non-judicial accountability offices that have been created to address these abuses. Our team of policy advocates works to ensure that those accountability offices are transparent, independent, fair, accessible, and effective. We conduct research to track global complaints and expose patterns in data that can be used to prevent harm. We also convene a global network of advocates to foster a movement for accountability in international finance. Our approach employs respect-based methods to ensure that marginalized people, particularly women and girls, are included as full participants in community strategies seeking accountability.
Our impact: In over a decade since our founding, our team has partnered with communities and advocates from 50 countries to defend their rights, demand justice, and achieve historic victories. We support communities from all over the world, and have achieved significant success and tangible impact in our cases. We have improved accountability policy at every multilateral development bank, at multiple United States agencies, and within international institutions. Our advocacy has led to the creation of several new accountability offices. Our research is, for the first time, exposing patterns in the global system of accountability that show advocates, policy-makers, financial institutions, and the accountability offices themselves best practice and where improvement is needed most.
A. Communities Program (80%)
The Communities Consultant will be responsible for supporting Accountability Counsel’s organizational mission and Communities program strategy in Asia. The Communities Consultant will work closely with Communities team members and partners to support communities in the Asia region to access justice for human rights and environmental violations using accountability offices tied to international finance.
Main duties include:
* conducting trainings, meetings, and workshops with communities, and local and regional advocates on how to trace financing and use accountability offices;
* at the request of communities, preparing and filing formal written complaints regarding human rights and environmental abuses, including documenting abuses through field investigations, interviews, document reviews, legal and technical analysis, consultation with experts, and other research;
* supporting communities in all aspects of the complaint process, in particular by navigating the dispute resolution and compliance review processes associated with accountability offices;
* advocating for case-specific and systemic outcomes at development finance institutions, corporations, government agencies, complaint offices, and other relevant authorities;
* drafting other written materials for internal and external use, including letters, memoranda, blogs, and other materials;
* creating and participating in strategic information exchange, knowledge sharing and capacity building opportunities; and
* sharing lessons learned from our cases in a variety of fora.
B. Other (20%)
Additional duties include:
* attending regular organizational meetings and events, including training on Accountability Counsel’s respect-based approach;
* contributing work to further Accountability Counsel’s communications strategy; and
* managing local administrative and logistical duties.
This position will require travel within Asia and internationally once it is safe to do so.
The Communities Consultant must have the following qualifications:
* degree in law or a related field, such as development studies;
* some experience in a relevant field (e.g. human rights, environmental law, environmental and social justice campaigns, international development, corporate accountability, community organizing);
* demonstrated commitment to social justice;
* positive attitude and excellent interpersonal skills, including a high degree of empathy, patience, and ability to work in a multicultural environment;
* excellent written, verbal, research, and analytical skills, including the ability to review and evaluate highly technical information related to internationally-financed projects;
* ability to work under pressure, organize, and prioritize workload, and meet multiple and often tight deadlines;
* ability to take initiative, work independently, and execute work efficiently and with exceptional quality;
* good judgment and the ability to think strategically in a fast-paced environment;
* fluency or advanced language proficiency in English; and
* ability to legally work in Thailand.
The following qualifications are highly valued:
* fluency or advanced language proficiency in Thai or other languages used in the Asia region;
* experience working with or for NGOs/civil society collectives;
* advocacy experience in local community settings;
* experience related to international financial institutions, corporate accountability, human rights law and/or environmental law;
* experience advocating with senior administrative or political officials; and
* knowledge of, or experience with, accountability offices.
To apply, please complete the application on our website. Your application should include:
* a cover letter stating your qualifications as they relate to the listed responsibilities;
* a resume; and
* a short writing sample (no more than 5 pages).
Applications will be considered on a rolling basis. Position to be filled as soon as possible, so please apply right away. Due to the volume of candidates anticipated and size of our organization, we regret that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted regarding further steps in the application process.
Contact : email@example.com