Job Title: Senior Laboratory Technical Officer
Band / Level/Grade: 8A
Location: Mae Hong Son, Thailand
The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises, helping to restore health, safety, education, economic wellbeing, and power to people devastated by conflict and disaster. Founded in 1933 at the call of Albert Einstein, the IRC is at work in over 40 countries and 26 U.S. cities helping people to survive, reclaim control of their future and strengthen their communities. The IRC has been operating in Thailand since 1975 and currently provides assistance to displaced persons in Tak, Kanchanaburi, Ratchaburi and Mae Hong Son provinces.
Under the direct supervision of Clinical Training Manager, the Laboratory Technical Officer (LTO) is focal point responsible for technical oversight for laboratory program in two camps from Mae Hong Son. He/she will ensure the quality of laboratory services by ongoing monitoring visits, regular feedback and trainings to camp based laboratory workers. He/she will coordinate with MOPH, Department of Medical Science, and External technical institutions such as SMRU, VCC and etc for further improvement of quality of laboratory services. He/she will conduct the monitoring of laboratory activities by using checklist, and will involve in procurement, inventory management, and maintenance of laboratory supplies and equipment.
• Provide regular visits to MHS camps laboratories, and provide ongoing monitoring and technical oversight for laboratory services, to ensure the quality of laboratory services are maintained or improved.
• Monitoring an ongoing quality control system and continuously undertake quality checks (internal/external) in the laboratories for existing lab tests (e.g. malaria smear, TB microscopy, Stool routine examination, and urine analysis, hematology, HIV VDRL and other tests as required) in coordination with external partners (e.g., MOPH, SMRU, local hospitals and laboratories).
• Assess training needs of laboratory program staff, develop training plan, and provide new, refresher, and in-service trainings on a regular basis.
• Develop work plan; monitor the progress of services to ensure quality care by using appropriate checklists.
• Develop laboratory manual for all laboratory tests available in camps, as a reference and in order to ensure up-to-date protocols of the new tests.
• Ensure the laboratory records are done correctly and confidentially, and verify the weekly HIS reports, monthly progress reports submitted by laboratory team. Ensure adequate and timely reporting on program activities, laboratory indicators, and donor report.
• Oversee the inventories management, maintenance and repair of laboratory equipment and supplies in all laboratories in camps.
• Provide technical oversight in reviewing monthly consumption patterns, approving monthly requisition, and facilitate the procurement of laboratory supplies and equipment and inventory management.
• Conducting the trainings related covid-19 for all health care workers according to urgent needs to overcome challenges, obstacles related with Covid-19 pandemic and, associate with the Surveillance rapid & response teams for the outbreak situations and with others during the covid-19 pandemic.
• Engaging the refresher trainings or on the job trainings for COVID-19 related topics to health care workers eg. Nasopharyngeal swab specimen collection and transportation.
• Conducting the trainings related covid-19 for all health care workers according to urgent needs to overcome challenges, obstacles related with Covid-19 pandemic and, associate with the Surveillance rapid & response teams for the outbreak situations and with others during the covid-19 pandemic
• Perform other duties as assigned by the supervisor or program needs.
Key Working Relationships:
Position Reports to: Clinical Training Manager
Position directly supervises: N/R
Indirect Reporting: None Other Internal and/or external contacts:
Internal: IRC Health team, IRC Operation Team and Camp Base Staff
External: MOPH, Department of Medical Science, and External technical institutions such as SMRU, VCC and etc.
Education: Bachelor degree in Medical Technology
Work Experience: Minimum 2 years working experience in laboratory services with expertise in microscopy based laboratory tests and quality control.
Demonstrated Skills and Competencies:
• Professional demeanours and Positive attitude
• Good verbal and written communication skills.
• Experience working with multicultural staff and
• Ability to work well in a team
• Ability to work independently
• Ability to respond quickly to program needs
• Critical thinking and time management skills
• Experience in working with NGO is an advantage
Language Skills: Fluency in English and Burmese. Thai, Karenni or Karen is a plus. Typing Burmese is a plus.
Certificates or Licenses: N/A
Working Environment: The position will be based in Mae Hong Son, a town in the North of Thailand, with frequent and regular travel to the two refugee camps.
Please apply via the below link:
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATION: 3 March 2021
Contact : +66 (0) 2 253 6519-27 Ext 336