United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR)
Representation in Thailand
Vacancy Announcement No. 03/2021
***Please note that this is a re-advertisement. Candidates who already applied to the previous advertisement do not need to reapply.
Senior Protection Assistant
Date Issued of the Vacancy Announcement:
18 February 2021
Post No.: NA
Closing Date of the Vacancy Announcement:
28 February 2021
Local Individual Contractor Agreement (UNOPS)
Availability of the Post As soon as possible until 31 December 2021.
1. General Background
The Senior Protection Assistant is a member of the Protection Unit and report to the Protection Officer. The incumbent will be based in Bangkok to support the Office capacity to provide protection interventions and assist communication with Rohingya Persons of Concern to UNHCR. The incumbent is expected to spend a considerable amount of time travelling to Immigration Detention Centres (IDCs) or Ministry of Social Development and Human Security (MSDHS) facilities throughout the country where persons of concern are accommodated. The incumbent will also be involved, to a lesser extent, in protection activities with regards to urban refugees and asylum seekers in Thailand, mostly by providing protection counselling at the Bangkok Refugee Center (BRC).
2. Purpose and Scope of Assignment
- Consistently apply International and National Law and applicable UN/UNHCR and IASC policy, standards and codes of conduct.
- Relay general information on UNHCR role and possible solutions and/or awarenessraising sessions in Rohingya dialect/ language to individuals/groups concerned.
- Provide counselling to Rohingya persons of concern on main protection needs/risks and undertake followup interviews with Rohingya individuals/groups as may be needed. Register Rohingya POC, conducting registration interviews in line with UNHCR policy, collect and enter individual data into proGres Database.
- Assist in identifying protection intervention and durable solutions for Rohingya persons of concern.
- Provide accurate, timely and professional interpretation, from Rohingya dialect/language to English, to UNHCR staff and/or official Government counterparts, as needed, in the course of Protectionrelated interviews, group discussions, meetings, Protection follow-ups and other related activities.
- Conduct Best Interest Determination (BID) interviews (when required) of Rohingya cases in IDCs and MSDHS facilities.
- Support participatory assessments, community focus group discussion and ongoing consultation with both Rohingya and urban persons of concern.
- Participate in individual protection case management including cases of SGBV and child protection. Monitor and report on cases of refoulement, expulsion and other protection incidents.
- Provide Protection counselling to asylum seekers and refugees at the BRC or elsewhere. Refer cases to the supervisor/relevant entities should they require further action.
- Maintain Rohingya operational related financial transactions to prepare monthly petty cash account.
- Perform systematic dataentry in ProGres, related clerical functions and generate corresponding computer-based reports (e.g. EXCEL) on data gathered and uploaded accordingly.
- Perform other duties as may be needed and requested by the supervisor.
3. Monitoring and Progress Controls
- Missions to RTG’s facilities are undertaken. The incumber will receive queries from and provide counselling to Rohingya persons of concern. He/she will regularly provide the Protection Unit with mission reports on the activities and the situation in various facilities.
- Internal and external reporting processes, as well as statistical information, is completed and updated regularly.
4. Qualifications and Experience
- 2 years relevant experience with High School Diploma; or 1 year relevant work experience with Bachelor or equivalent or higher
- Experience (ideally in the Thai/South East Asia context) in working with refugees, in particular working with Rohingya refugees, and/or in related field would be an advantage.
- Experience working in detention centres or similar operating environments would be an asset.
- Excellent knowledge of UNHCR’s protection mandate is desired.
- Knowledge if ProGres Completion of UNHCR specific learning/training activities, including the Interview learning programmes (ILP) would be an asset.
Required language Skills
- Excellent knowledge of Rohingya and English (written and oral) is essential
5. Key Competencies/Qualifications
- Client Orientation
- Analytical Thinking
- Planning and Organizing
- Negotiation and Conflict Resolution
- Change Capability and Adaptability
- Political Awareness
- Innovation and Creativity
- Continuous Learning
Please submit your Motivation Letter, duly signed P.11 form, Curriculum Vitae and a copy of official ID card/national passport clearly stating the position title, vacancy notice number and your Last Name in the subject line to: THABAHR@unhcr.org by the closing date.
Applications will not be acknowledged. Only the successful candidate will be notified of the outcome of the selection process.
P.11 form can be down loaded from: https://www.unhcr.or.th/sites/default/files/u11/P11_UNHCR.docm and
- All UNHCR staff members in Thailand
- UN organizations in Thailand
- Specialized Agencies
- Diplomatic Missions
- International NGOs
- Non-government Organizations
เจ้าหน้าที่ประจำสำนักงาน / Officerผู้ช่วย / Assistant