TITLE: Senior Operations Manager (National Hired)
TEAM/PROGRAMME: Programme Implementation
LOCATION: Bangkok Office
CONTRACT LENGTH: 1-year contract with possibility of extension
As a member of the Extended Senior Management Team, the Senior Operations Manager shares in the overall responsibility for the direction and coordination of the Country Office. The Senior Operations Manager in his/her capacity is responsible for implementation of all programming in country, including the management of all sub offices, as well as project start up back-filling, and emergency preparedness and response (including DRR) for the Country Office in Thailand.
SCOPE OF ROLE:
Reports to: Program Director
Staff reporting to this post: 4 positions
Direct: (Field Office Co. Deep South; Field Office Co. Mae Sot, Project Coordinator CP, Bangkok; Saraburi Sub-Office lead). This Post will also manage any surge staff for categorized emergencies (level 4)
Role Dimensions: This role is responsible for managing a yearly budget of approximately US 5-6 million, a staffing complement of approximately 30 through covering headquarters and field offices. This is a critical role in the Thailand Country Office requiring building and maintenance of strategic partnerships with host of country government and none government stakeholders. Approximately 30-40% time will be devoted to field travel.
KEY AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY:
As a member of the Extended Senior Management Team, contribute to:
- Leadership of the Thailand Country Office
- Support the development of an organizational culture that reflects our dual mandate values, promotes accountability and high performance, encourages a team culture of learning, creativity and innovation, and frees up our people to deliver outstanding results for children
- Help design and implement a coherent organizational structure that is consistent with agency practices and appropriate to program needs
- Help establish, maintain, and improve active and regular working relationships with: host government authorities, partner agencies, and local and international NGOs
- Ensure that the required support is provided promptly, at scale and in line with the rules and principles during emergencies, working closely with the Regional Office
Oversight and Management of Program Implementation
- Responsible for overall coordination of full spectrum program implementation and delegated responsibility for field delivery of high-quality programming in line with the objectives of the country strategy
- Under the direction of the Program Director and with the support and leadership of the New Business Development Manager, participate in program proposal process and ensure that all programs progress in accordance with grant agreements, are completed within time and on budget
- Working with Director of Programs, participate in conceptualizing and designing cost effective, innovative and high-quality programs to serve difficult to reach children
- Serve as overall budget holder for most programming; manage and support budget holders for individual projects and grants in Bangkok
- Ensure programs are implemented in ways responsive to the communities and children in line with Save the Children principles, values and strategic plan and following Save the Children compliance procedures. This includes working with government and national NGO partners to strengthen national capacity
- Ensure preparation of timely and high quality progress reports, program reports, and donor reports
- Oversee field offices, ensuring that staff have capacity and resources to implement programs efficiently
- Champion Safe Programming approaches in project design, planning and operational delivery
- For all new grants without project lead hired, serve to run all start-up actions relevant to award and transition to new lead once appointed, in all areas where we program
- In collaboration with the Director of Programs and Awards Manager, support partner selection and project design and lead partners assessment and vetting
- Ensure that every partnership is designed and managed to further the achievement of Save the Children's global strategy and strengthens local and national capacity to deliver for children
- Analyse potential partners using documented selection methods and ensure that all partners comply with Save the Children and donor requirements and regulations
- Ensure that the Thailand Country Office engages in mutual assessment, feedback and learning with partners and assist partners to engage in knowledge building and advocacy
- Participates in Partnership Working Group internal to SC Thailand and spearhead a number of the capacity building initiatives, with focus on program management training, DRR and emergency response
Emergency Response Management
- With the relevant CO Technical Expertise, help to strengthen the Thailand CO organisational readiness to respond to emergencies in line with global SCI emergency goal and benchmarks
- Ensure that the CO implements a full set of emergency preparedness actions, drawing on SC member input and resources
- Ensure the CO implements appropriate and timely responses at scale to all emergencies consistent with established benchmarks, plans and organizational policies, and in close cooperation with incoming surge teams
- Lead on the capacity building plans for the CO Emergency Response Team
Staff Management, Mentorship, and Development – Program Implementation
- Ensure appropriate staffing within Program Implementation, including sub office staff
- Ensure that all Program Implementation staff understand and are able to perform their role in an emergency
- Manage Program Implementation team; define expectations, provide leadership and technical support as needed, and evaluate direct reports regularly
- Ensure the recruitment, training, and promotion of staff as appropriate and ensure availability of appropriate professional development opportunities for staff
- Incorporate staff development strategies and Performance Management Systems into team building process.
- Manage the performance of all staff in the Program Implementation work area through:
- Effective use of the Performance Management System including the establishment of clear, measureable objectives, ongoing feedback, periodic reviews and fair and unbiased evaluations;
- Coaching, mentoring and other developmental opportunities;
- Recognition and rewards for outstanding performance;
- Documentation of performance that is less than satisfactory, with appropriate performance improvements/ workplans
Representation and Leadership on Global Operations Initiatives
- Lead on all global operations projects, including the roll-out of the new global Project Management Methodology across the country office
- Represent SC Thailand with Regional Operations forums
- Lead on national coordination for all program consortiums led by SC Thailand
BEHAVIOURS (Values in Practice)
- holds self-accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving and role modelling Save the Children values
- holds the team and partners accountable to deliver on their responsibilities - giving them the freedom to deliver in the best way they see fit, providing the necessary development to improve performance and applying appropriate consequences when results are not achieved.
- sets ambitious and challenging goals for themselves and their team, takes responsibility for their own personal development and encourages their team to do the same
- widely shares their personal vision for Save the Children, engages and motivates others
- future orientated, thinks strategically and on a global scale.
- builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues, Members and external partners and supporters
- values diversity, sees it as a source of competitive strength
- approachable, good listener, easy to talk to.
- develops and encourages new and innovative solutions
- willing to take disciplined risks.
- honest, encourages openness and transparency; demonstrates highest levels of integrity
A minimum of 10 years management experience in a corporate or an NGO environment, including significant field operations experience running both emergency and development programs
- Degree in development or other social sciences, master’s degree preferred
- Robust experience of NGO program cycle management, and with experience of working within a complex and matrix organization structure
- A very good understanding of at least three of the sectoral programs (education, protection, disaster risk reduction, child rights, child poverty) and a working knowledge of the program priorities of the Country Office
- Significant knowledge of international humanitarian systems, institutions and donors, and of procedures, accountability frameworks and best practices in emergency management
- Substantial experience and knowledge of effective financial and budgetary control and securing and managing grants from major institutional donors
- Solid project management skills related to organizational development projects and international, cross-functional teams with a proven history of delivering results
- Ability to analyze information, evaluate options and to think and plan strategically
- An in-depth understanding of national and international development issues in particular in relation to children
- Previous experience of managing and developing a team and the ability to lead, motivate and develop others
- Excellent interpersonal, communication and presentation skills
- Fluency in written and spoken English and Thai (other ethnic and minority languages an asset)
- Ability and willingness to change work practices and hours, and work with incoming teams in the event of major emergencies
- Commitment to and understanding of Save the Children’s aims, values and principles including rights-based approaches
- Willingness to travel extensively, often in difficult conditions
Additional job responsibilities
The duties and responsibilities as set out above are not exhaustive and the role holder may be required to carry out additional duties within reasonableness of their level of skills and experience.
The role holder is required to carry out the duties in accordance with the SCI Equal Opportunities and Diversity policies and procedures.
We need to keep children safe so our selection process, which includes rigorous background checks, reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse.
Health and Safety
The role holder is required to carry out the duties in accordance with SCI Health and Safety policies and procedures.
Interested candidates should apply and submit a motivational letter, comprehensive CV, expected salary and details of at least 3 referees via the following link;
“We need to keep children safe so our selection process, which includes rigorous background checks, reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse”
02 684 1286 - 8 ext: 608
ผู้ประสานงาน / Coordinatorเจ้าหน้าที่ภาคสนาม / Field officerผู้จัดการโปรเจค / Project manager