Position : Human Rights Defenders Programme – Programme Associate (P1-3)
Location : Bangkok, Thailand
Duration : 2-year contract starting from 1 March 2021
• A salary in local currency equivalent to US$ 27,300 gross per annum (including 13th month salary)
• fringe benefits will be provided subject to donor and staff handbook guidelines
Closing date : 7 February 2021, midnight Bangkok Time (UTC+7)
Interview : Dates Week of the 9 and 16 February 2021
About the Organisation
The Asian Forum for Human Rights and Development (FORUM-ASIA) is the largest membership-based human rights and development organisation in Asia with 81 member organisations in 21 countries, across Asia. FORUM-ASIA works to promote and protect human rights, including the right to development, through collaboration and cooperation among human rights organisations and defenders in Asia and beyond. FORUM-ASIA seeks to strengthen international solidarity in partnership with organisations and networks in the global South.
FORUM-ASIA was founded in 1991, and established its Secretariat in Bangkok in 1992. Since then, other offices have been opened in Geneva, Jakarta, and Kathmandu. FORUM-ASIA has consultative status with the UN Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC Status) and a consultative relationship with the ASEAN Intergovernmental Commission on Human Rights (AICHR).
Duties and Responsibilities
FORUM-ASIA’s HRD Programme is a protection measure for human rights defenders (HRDs) and women human rights defenders (WHRD) in Asia. It seeks to facilitate a conducive environment for HRDs/WHRDs towards a more effective and efficient conduct of their work while being conscious of the risks involving their actions. It also pursues provision of practical safeguards for HRDs/WHRDs at risk by reducing both actual and perceived threats stemming from their work and activities.
Reporting to the HRD Programme Manager, the HRD Programme Associate will develop and implement strategy and action plan for the HRD Programme in line with FORUM-ASIA’s overall protection strategies.
Specifically, the HRD Programme Associate shall:
- Programme implementation (45%)
- Provide assistance to set-up and implementation of the HRD programme’s overall project on the Rights to Protest;
- Support and assist the implementation of the HRD Programme’s Protection Plan for HRDs/WHRDs at risk, namely providing emergency assistance to Asian HRDs/WHRDs under threat;
- Assist in organizing and/or preparing for forums, workshops, consultations and field missions or other activities in cooperation with FORUM-ASIA members, partners and other programmes concerned; and
- Assist in coordinating and liaising with FORUM-ASIA members, partners and other key stakeholders.
- Planning, Monitoring, Evaluation and Administrative support (45%)
- Assist in the overall monitoring and evaluation of HRD Programme’s plans and budget according to the FORUM-ASIA annual work-plan and budget;
- Assist the HRD Programme Manager in preparing periodic progress reports such as monthly, quarterly, half yearly and annually, as required, in a results-based management framework;
- Produce mission reports, including finance clearance after each mission, including reviewing of financial documents submitted by FORUM-ASIA members, partners and key stakeholders;
- Prepare fund and cash advance for the HRD Programme activities; and
- Undertake overall administrative support for the HRD Programme activities.
- Other tasks (10%)
- Implement other relevant tasks and activities as assigned by the HRD Programme Manager.
Qualifications and Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree or advanced degree in human rights, law, international relations/political science/development or other relevant fields.
- Mature personality with ability to work in a multicultural and demanding working environment with cross-programme coordination;
- Ability to work under pressure and manage competing deadlines;
- Excellent analytical and reporting writing skills;
- High-level of self-motivation, positive attitude, strategic thinking, and multi-tasking ability; and
- Good team player.
- Minimum three years of work experience in the field of human rights, preferably in the context of both national and regional or international NGOs, with at least one years of this experience specific to HRD programme/project in Asia;
- Working experience with HRDs/WHRDs at risk, including experience of rapid emergency assistance to cases of HRDs/WHRDs at risk;
- Comprehensive knowledge of human rights issues in Asia, particularly Thailand, Cambodia and/or India is preferred;
- Good understanding of financial monitoring and budget tracking; and
- Preferably, good understanding of the work and history of FORUM-ASIA.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills in English both oral and written;
- Strong ability to harness and maintain good relations with various stakeholders such as FORUM-ASIA members, partners, government officials, diplomats, NGOs, NHRIs, media and other relevant institutions and CSOs;
- Strong technical aptitude and expertise with MS office tools; and
- Preferably, knowledge of at least one Asian language.
Interested applicants must submit the following:
• A copy of your completed Application Form;
• A resume and a cover letter (Both in PDF file) explaining interest in the fellowship.
Completed applications must be sent by email to FORUM-ASIA at email@example.com by 7 February 2021, midnight Bangkok Time (UTC +7), stating “Human Rights Defenders Programme Associate Position” in the subject line. Please note that late applications will not be considered.
ผู้ประสานงาน / Coordinatorเจ้าหน้าที่ภาคสนาม / Field officerนักกิจกรรม / Activist