Job Title: Earth Journalism Network Mekong Project Officer
Exemption Status: Exempt
Supervisor: EJN Asia-Pacific Senior Program Manager
Reports to: EJN Asia-Pacific Senior Program Manager
Under the supervision of Internews Earth Journalism Network (EJN) Asia-Pacific Senior Program Manager, the Project Officer will manage the roll-out of two projects:
- A Mekong Journalist Fellowship program under the Asia Pacific Media and Dialogue Initiative funded by the US Department of State in partnership with the East-West Centre. This project aims to empower and train young leaders, journalists and policy influencers to respond to disinformation and strengthen environmental reporting in Southeast Asia. Internews will specifically focus on the rolling out of two competitive virtual fellowship for Mekong journalists, which includes skills-based training, mentoring and the administration of story grants.
- Internews EJN is expecting to implement a separate training program on forest governance for Mekong country journalists, which includes story grants for participating journalists after the training.
The Project Officer will be responsible for the implementation and coordination of the activities for the two projects, and other activities focused on environmental reporting in the Mekong region.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following; other duties may be assigned:
- Lead the implementation of the activities of both the Mekong Journalist Fellowship and the forestry governance training, with a view to successfully, sustainably achieving stated goals and objectives;
- Assist in the design and administering of an effective, inclusive and contextually-appropriate Fellowship Program for journalists from Mekong countries on the theme of water security;
- Manage the call for application, selection, onboarding process of journalists for both projects, including approaching editors of media outlets for their support and buy-in;;
- Work closely with the trainers to support the design and delivery of the virtual Data Journalism and the Mekong Infrastructure Tracker training under the Fellowship Program and the forest governance training;
- Work closely with the mentors to support the mentoring process under both project;
- Manage and monitor the provision of the Fellowship and story grants to selected journalists;
- Work closely with EJN Mekong Content Coordinator to support the publishing, dissemination, and promotion of the final stories in the media and/or through Internews and EJNsnetworks;
- Ensure financial compliance oversight and timely spending of project budget, reporting to and working with the Thailand-based EJN Senior Finance and Admin Manager on a regular basis;
- Oversee the effective monitoring and evaluation of project activities and drive cutting edge outcome-based reporting in coordination with regional and HQ M&E staff;
- Deliver monthly updates, and quarterly end-of-project reports;
- Maintain consistent communication with funders and implementing partners;
- Coordinate communications and workflow among senior management, project team and partners;
- Coordinate and supervise consultants as needed to fulfill specialist and programmatic support requirements on projects;
- Participate in meetings and facilitate communication with the funders directly or in concert with the Bangkok-based Regional Director and EJN Asia-Pacific Senior Program Manager;
- Champion and work in close collaboration with wider media networks, researchers and environmental experts in key regions;
- Keep abreast of relevant developments in the political and environmental landscape that could help or hinder project activities and objectives;
- Assist with the development of concept notes and proposals for new projects relating to environment reporting in the Mekong region;
- Represent Internews and EJN at meetings with stakeholders;
- Any other assignments as required.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- 5 years of programmatic experience, including project management experience in international development, preferably in the Mekong region
- Proven knowledge of and experience with the media in Mekong countries, preferably in environmental journalism
- English fluency required, with fluency in one other Mekong country languages
- Experience in management of small grants
- Report writing and budget management experience
- Proven ability to prioritize and handle multiple ongoing assignments
- Proven analytical and problem-solving ability
- Proven ability to coordinate, manage and motivate staff and partners
- Proven ability to manage up, coordinating proactively and efficiently with senior management
- Understanding and demonstration of a commitment to upholding Internews’ Core Values
- Experience with media and environment-related projects
- Experience in media development and/or wider capacity building
- Knowledge in Mekong water security and forestry governance issues
- Previous work experience with US and EU funded programs and projects
Closing date: No specific closing date
Applications for this vacancy will be closed when the qualified candidates are selected. Interested candidates should submit their cover letter and CV to firstname.lastname@example.org.
ผู้ประสานงาน / Coordinatorเจ้าหน้าที่ประจำสำนักงาน / Officer