Volunteer, Thailand Programme
IUCN, International Union for Conservation of Nature, is seeking a volunteer to join our Asia Regional Office.
This is a local recruitment. Only Thai nationals, individuals with residence status or the appropriate employment visa for Thailand are eligible to apply. The remuneration and benefits package for this position is established with reference to the local labour market and in line with the IUCN conditions of service for Thailand.
Thailand is endowed with rich biodiversity and natural resources which are important in supporting both rural livelihoods and national development. But over the past four decades, Thailand’s rapid economic growth has given rise to environmental challenges, including air and water pollution, loss of biodiversity, deforestation, watershed degradation and soil erosion, conversion of wetlands and loss of coastal habitats including mangroves, seagrasses and coral reefs.
Thailand’s relationship with IUCN began in 1948 as one of the first Asian country signatories to IUCN’s Charter. After working in the country for several decades, IUCN located its regional office in Bangkok in the 1990s, and in 2001 the Thailand programme office was established.
IUCN works with its Members and partners in the country to address conservation challenges and to ensure that the use of natural resources, urbanisation and infrastructure development are sustainable and adequately take into account ecological functions and ecosystem services, and the growing impacts of climate change.
At present, IUCN’s projects in Thailand focus on climate change adaptation, integrated coastal and marine resources management, transboundary tiger conservation, wetlands, forest conservation and restoration and community participation in the conservation and governance of protected areas and World Heritage sites.
Under the direct supervision of the Programme Officer, Thailand Programme, the volunteer will perform the following tasks:
• Compile information and prepare documents and reports related to the projects under Thailand Programme;
• Conduct desk review of any relevant documentation related to the project under Thailand Programme, including policy and programmatic documents, and monitoring reports;
• Assist in conducting research on a variety of topics that can assist IUCN Thailand Programme, including on: local level, national-level and regional level;
• Support outreach activities and field works as assigned
• Support the relevant tasks as assigned
• University degree in environmental science, international relations, development studies, communications, social sciences or related area
• Good command in written and spoken English
• Excellent written and communications skills
• Excellent analytical and report writing skills
• Experience in working in environmental areas
• Good technical knowledge of water and wetlands will be an added advantage
• Willing to travel to upcountry or project's sites
• Willing to provide service as unpaid volunteer
CLOSING DATE FOR APPLICATION: 20 December 2020
Applicants are requested to apply online through the IUCN HR Management System by opening the vacancy announcement and pressing the "Apply" button at:
Only short-listed candidates will be notified
IUCN is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applications from qualified women and men.