Administrative Assistant, Natural Resources Group
IUCN, International Union for Conservation of Nature, is seeking a qualified individual to join our Asia Regional Office.
This is a local recruitment. Only Thai nationals, individuals with residence status or the appropriate employment visa for Thailand are eligible to apply. The remuneration and benefits package for this position is established with reference to the local labour market and in line with the IUCN conditions of service for Thailand.
The Natural Resources Group, Asia (NRG) is considered one administrative entity, and has evolved from the previous Ecosystems and Livelihoods Group, Asia construct. It brings under one umbrella all component thematic programmes in IUCN.
The Natural Resources Group (NRG) serves as the regional technical hub for IUCN’s programme in Asia. The group is currently composed of a small team of eight technical officers and two administrative staff, and works in six main thematic areas: biodiversity; species; protected areas; forests; marine & coastal; and water & wetlands.
NRG has three major responsibilities:
• To provide technical support to IUCN’s country offices and programmes in the Asia region;
• To serve as a technical liaison between the Asia region and IUCN Headquarters/ IUCN global programmes;
• To develop and manage large, multi-country initiatives.
The Programme Assistant will play an important role in providing secretarial, administrative and logistical support for the work of the Natural Resources Group. Specific duties are summarised below.
1 Workshop Organisation
• Provide logistical support for NRG meetings and workshops, including: identification of suitable venues; liaison with venue staff; organisation of participants’ local and international travel and accommodation; calculation and provision of participants’ DSAs; preparation of participants’ document packs; organisation of welcoming/farewell dinners; organisation of field excursions; assist preparation of expenditure reports for events;and troubleshooting as required.
2 Secretarial and Administrative Duties
• Provide general office assistance: coordinate responses to information requests and inquiries; handle official visitors and consultants; set up and maintain files and records; and handle routine administrative tasks such as assessing telephone bills and coordinating purchases;
• Manage travel arrangements for NRG staff (including flight bookings, cash advances, travel approval forms, local transport arrangements, visas and hotel reservations), as well as reconciliation and reimbursement of travel advances;
• Ensure that administrative, finance and personnel forms are available and used as and when required, and that programme staff follow relevant IUCN procedures and policies; coordinate and follow up necessary approvals for all forms;
• Liaise regularly with regional Administration Unit to ensure that: office spaces are well-maintained, neat and secure; equipment is well-maintained and fully operational; and stationery is supplied and accounted for.
• Maintain the corporate identity of IUCN by ensuring that all letters, memos, faxes, proposals and reports of the programme and project adhere to the IUCN style;
• Develop and maintain a computerised mailing list for various categories of programme partners (implementing partners, supporting partners, government agencies and officials, international organizations, networks, etc.), as well as an information database for principal contact addresses, telephone, email and fax numbers;
• Help with the layout of programme reports.
4 Contract/Agreement Management and Coordination
• Assist in preparing, verifying and processing contracts, agreements, amendments and contract payments (ensuring that deliverables are in order, all supporting documentation is available, and any compliance issues are addressed);
• Set up and maintain filing system for signed contracts, agreements and amendments, including back-ups in hard copy and electronic formats;
• Help track the status of contracts and payments, including due dates for reports and other deliverables, payments, etc, and remind the relevant NRG project managers as appropriate.
5 Other Duties
• Assist in coaching and mentoring interns, junior support staff and other programme staff in relevant IUCN procedures and policies;
• Assist the NRG team with data collation, entry and management for ongoing projects, as needed;
• Assist with taking minutes/notes for NRG team meetings and internal events;
• Where necessary, and according to agreed schedules and responsibilities, provide secretarial and administrative support to other parts of the office in times of particular stress;
• Explore new ideas for improving management of secretarial and administrative duties, and enhancing own capacity;
• Carry out any other relevant tasks as required by, and mutually agreed with, the line manager(s).
• University Degree in Management, Business Administration, Public Administration, Social Science, or a related field.
• Minimum of 3 years of directly responsible experience in administration is essential.
• Fluent in English (verbal/written) and the language of the duty station
• Knowledge of accounting systems and procedures highly advantageous
• Proficient with office applications (MS Office, Excel, PowerPoint) and web-based management systems
• Demonstrated ability on events management and travel management.
CLOSING DATE FOR APPLICATION: 31 December 2020
Applicants are requested to apply online through the IUCN HR Management System by opening the vacancy announcement and pressing the "Apply" button at:
Only short-listed candidates will be notified
IUCN is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applications from qualified women and men.