APCOM represents a diverse range of community interests working together to advocate on, highlight and prioritise issues that affect the lives of people regarding their sexual orientation and gender identities. In the context of our organisation, this would include gay men, men who are having sex with men (MSM), hijra and transgender people, and many other expressions of sexual orientation and gender identities. Our work has a strong focus on health (especially sexual and reproductive health), mental and physical well-being, enabling environments for the population we serve, and human rights. We envision a world where sexually diverse and gender non-conforming people live life fully, free of stigma and discrimination – a world where everyone is treated equally. By influencing governments and opinion leaders, we are generating a positive, enduring change.
APCOM is a registered Foundation in Thailand, with its Secretariat based in Bangkok carrying out 4 strategies:
- Advocate for sexual health services;
- Advocate for an enabling environment including health and human rights;
- Gather, generate and share strategic information that can be used by communities for advocacy;
- Build a cadre of community advocates at all levels to strengthen the voice and agency of our communities.
We work with LGBTI, MSM and transgender communities, networks, CBOs and CSOs in Asia and the Pacific by offering support and mentorship, and technical expertise.
- About the Position
The Operations Manager is responsible of operational support duties. The position holder shall foster a culture of accountability and ensures that organisational resources are used in the most cost-effective manner. This position requires a high degree of confidentiality in dealing with personnel and finance matters. He/she must be courteous and have a professional approach towards staff.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Manage and increase the effectiveness and efficiency of Operation Services (Admin, Finance, HR and IT), through improvements to each function as well as coordination and communication between the Operations, and other departments.
- Ensure effective and efficient operational services and overall management of the internal system:
o Develop appropriate tools to deliver on operational services within the required time frame;
o Set up appropriate monitoring system for the service requests
- Frequent communication to the project managers, on progress with respect to service requests;
- Supervision of all staff in the Operations Unit with individual work plans and performance monitoring
- Identify bottlenecks and operational solutions to operational obstacles.
- Procurement of office and other supplies for the facilities in line with set procurement procedures.
- Review operational policies and advise on policies and SOPs which will ensure accountability and speed of implementation, with high client satisfaction.
- Ensure efficient human resource management and general administration of the project focusing on achievement of the following results:
o Compliance with rules and regulations for recruitment and human resource management for the project;
o Preparation of recruitment plan and elaboration of job descriptions for required staffing;
- Regular meetings with Executive Director around fiscal planning.
- Supervise and coach office coordinator.
- Planning and budgeting for day to day operational effectiveness in conjunction with the relevant project managers.
- Ensure effective application of operational policies pertaining to project implementation and management:
o Work closely with the project managers concerned to develop sound operational project work plans/budgets and implementation plans, which match with expected project outputs
o Clarify the agreements for working with NGOs or Government counterparts, before requesting signature from Executive Director
- Ensure compliant financial resources management and effective procurement focusing on achievement of the following results
- Procurement strategies including sourcing strategy, supplier selection and evaluation, and quality management;
o Review terms of reference to ensure the quality of inputs to be procured
o Preparation of an annual procurement plan, with an indicative list of goods and services as identified in the annual work plan, in collaboration with the procurement specialist.
- Implementation of effective internal controls such as maintenance of the internal expenditures control system, financial recording/reporting system;
- Proper planning and expenditure tracking of financial resources and monitoring of financial delivery against work plans and preparation of relevant periodic reports
- Proper management of assets and timely handover where required
o Overall management of administrative issues with administration officer.
- Oversee overall financial management, planning, systems and controls.
- Management of agency budget in coordination with the Executive Director.
- Development of individual program budgets
- Invoicing to funding sources, including calculation of completed units of service.
- Direct annual budgeting and planning process for the organization's annual budget with Executive Director
- Develop and manage annual budget
- Oversee monthly and quarterly assessments and forecasts of organization's financial performance against budget, financial and operational goals. Oversee short and long-term financial and managerial reporting.
- Managing day to day processing of accounts receivable and payable using QuickBooks, producing reports as requested.
- Reconciling monthly activity, generating year-end reports, and fulfilling tax related requirements.
- Assisting Executive Director and Board in creating annual organizational budget and monitoring cash flow.
- Ensure that Accounting Department requests are resolved and communicated in a timely manner to internal and external parties.
- Develop long-range forecasts and maintain long-range financial plans.
- Develop, maintain and monitor all fundraising and accounting systems and procedures capturing all pledges, billings and receipts and for the recording of all revenue transactions, recommend and implement improvements to systems.
- Prepare annual audit and be a liaison with all outside vendor.
- Knowledge of tax and other compliance implications of non-profit status
- Demonstrates commitment to organization’s mission, vision and values;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability.
Development and Operational Effectiveness
- Ability to lead strategic planning, results-based management and reporting;
- Solid knowledge in financial resources, contracts, asset and procurement, information and communication technology, general administration;
- Ability to lead a process, implementation of new systems, and affect staff behavior/attitudinal change.
Management and Leadership:
- Builds strong relationships with staff, focuses on impact and result for the staff and responds positively to feedback;
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude;
- Demonstrates openness to change and ability to manage complexities;
- Leads teams effectively and shows mentoring as well as conflict resolution skills;
- Remains calm, in control and good humored even under pressure.
- Demonstrated leadership and vision in managing staff groups and major projects or initiatives.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and a collaborative management style.
- Excellent people manager, open to direction and +Collaborative work style and commitment to get the job done
- Ability to challenge and debate issues of importance to the organization.
- Persuasive with details and facts
- Delegate responsibilities effectively
- High comfort level working in a diverse environment
Communications and Networking:
- Has good oral communication skills and conflict resolution competency to manage inter-group dynamics and mediate conflicting interests of varied actors;
- Has good written communication skills, with analytic capacity and ability to synthesize project outputs
- Knowledge Management and Learning: Shares knowledge and experience;
- Actively work towards continuing personal learning and applies newly acquired skills.
- Required Skills and Experience
Advanced University Degree (Masters or equivalent) in Business Administration, Operations Management, Social Sciences, International Development, Economics, Financial or related fields.
- At l east 8 years relevant work experience, at least 5 of which involve similar senior experience of operational management of projects or Programmes with Strong background and work experience in Finance.
- Experience in managing and leading other staff members.
- Able to work effectively and comfortably in LGBTIQ - related environments with a matrix structure, requiring strong communication, organization & negotiation skills.
- Substantive project operational management experience, including detailed working knowledge of human resources, procurement, ICT, finance, project management, asset management and logistics;
- Good knowledge of Computer proficiency, including working knowledge of MS Office products (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and web-based management systems;
Fluency in written and spoken English
PREPARING YOUR APPLICATION:
If you think you have the passion, skills and qualifications for this position and would like to join our team please prepare your application, by addressing each point listed in section 4 ‘Required Skills and Experience’ in the above position description/brief. You are required to state how your skills, knowledge, experience and qualifications relate to the position. It is recommended that you address each criteria separately in point form. You should use statements with examples that clearly demonstrate your competency in a particular area.
Applicants who fail to demonstrate the knowledge and skills required for this position in their application will not be invited to attend an interview.
Please attach this application along with your CV, covering letter and proposed monthly rate and submit to the APCOM Secretariat by emailing JoinUs@apcom.org no later 17:00 GMT+7 on 31th October 2018.
The completeness and relevance of your application will determine whether or not you are called for an interview. Where a large number of applicants meet the essential and desirable requirements, only those applicants who most strongly meet the requirements will be selected for interview. The shortlisted candidates will undergo an online written test and oral interview.
Please ensure that you have attached and included the following information to ensure you application is complete.
ü Complete application (addressing each of the points in Section 4: ‘Knowledge and Skill Requirements’)
ü CV with 3 references
ü Cover Letter (Please include proposed monthly salary in THB). The cover letter should indicate why you are best suited for the position.
For questions or enquiries for the position, please contact APCOM’s HR Officer, Rangsit at firstname.lastname@example.org