Position Title: Country Director, JRS Thailand
Location: Bangkok, Thailand
Reports to: Regional Director, JRS Asia Pacific
Starting date: As soon as available
Contract duration: 2 years (possibility of renewal)
The Jesuit Refugee Service (JRS) is an International Catholic agency with a mission to accompany, serve and defend the rights of refugees and forcibly displaced people. It is essentially a service-oriented organization offering direct assistance to refugees and internally displaced persons in Australia, Cambodia, Indonesia, Myanmar, the Philippines, Malaysia, Singapore and Thailand. The style of service is direct and personal, working in situations of greatest need, seeking the long-term well-being of refugees and displaced persons, while not neglecting their immediate or urgent needs. It offers opportunities to a wide variety of staff, local and international, while maintaining localized scheme of salary/stipend, insurance, benefits, etc.
In Thailand, JRS manages five projects in urban and rural areas serving refugees, asylum seekers and other forcibly displaced persons. JRS Thailand has field offices in Bangkok and Mae Hong Son. The main areas of work include education, psychosocial services, livelihoods, and advocacy. For more information about JRS in Asia Pacific and Thailand, visit: apr.jrs.net
Overall Position Purpose:
The JRS Thailand Country Director is responsible for the overall management and success of JRS programmes, personnel and office in Thailand ensuring fulfillment of the JRS mission, vision and values and fulfilling quality and standards established by the humanitarian sector. The Country Director will provide leadership and coherent and strategic management support to four (4) Project Directors and project teams in Thailand. He/She will coordinate and report strategic and management concerns to the Regional Director.
- Promotes the mission, vision and values of JRS in all JRS Thailand programmes
- Leads the development and implementation of country strategic plans, financial budgets and advocacy in Thailand in coordination with the Asia Pacific team
- Ensures JRS is represented in partner and stakeholder forums including compliance with the requirements of the Thai government and donors. Represents JRS in the Jesuit community, the Catholic Church, JRS partners and donors.
- Works closely with CCSDPT representatives and other NGOs in Thailand, UNHCR and the Royal Thai government at national level. JRS together with other organizations and networks also advocate changes to government policy/practice as needed for the benefit of the refugees.
- Makes regular field visits to monitor and evaluate JRS Thailand projects, to continually improve the quality of programmes and services for refugees/displaced persons
- Facilitates reflection on and evaluation of JRS projects, and, where necessary determine the process for opening, withdrawal/closure/handover of projects after approval from Regional Director.
- Monitors political, social, economic and migration trends and formulate proposals for new initiatives and advocacies in response to the greatest need
- Works closely with the country team to coordinate and define in-country policies
- Maintains regular communication and consultation with the Regional Director on programs, advocacy and major issues and developments in the country
Personnel Management, Reporting and Administration
- Provides leadership, inspiration and care for the well-being of all staff
- Ensures all JRS projects and personnel promotes the highest standards of quality and professionalism and accountability to the people we serve
- Ensures timely and accurate reporting and communication on project progress and challenges
- Manages country office and personnel concerns and in consultation with the Regional Director and Human Resource personnel when appropriate
- Directs and supports project directors and teams to implement approved projects at field level ensuring project compliance to partnership agreements with donors
- Conducts annual performance appraisals of country office staff and project directors for their professional development
- Decides on security measures for JRS staff in accordance with JRS security guidelines in emergency situations in consultation with the Regional Director and International Security Adviser
- Promotes a supportive working environment that allows people from multiple cultures, religions and background to become better professionals working in a team
Qualifications & Experience:
- Fluent and excellent writing skills in English. Knowledge of Thai is an advantage.
- Relevant degree – preferably in Education, Social Work, International Development or any related professional field.
- Minimum of five years of professional experience in senior management position
- Understanding of and empathy with the refugees in the urban areas; understanding of local cultural sensitivities a strong plus.
- Working experience in Asia is an advantage.
- Computer literacy, being able to use Word, Excel, and Power Point programs
- Service-minded, patient, and self-motivated
- Ability to work successfully in a multi-cultural and multi faith environment and able to deal with limited resources and challenges
- Strong staff management and diplomatic skills, flexibility, and able to work successfully in a multicultural setting and stressful environment.
- Good communication skills, particularly in the areas of report-writing and project proposals; good working knowledge of project cycle management, experience with accounting, budgeting and the monitoring of funds; can work under pressure.
This position offers a salary package with Medical and Accident group insurance, Life insurance and other benefits. Interested candidates must apply by sending their cover letter and CV (including three referees) addressing how they satisfy the criteria described above. JRS advocates for equal opportunity and promotes a diversified and inspiring working environment. Therefore, qualified candidates of ethnic minorities and women are strongly encouraged to apply.
Applications are to be sent to email@example.com by 15 May 2023 or as soon as the position is filled. Early applications are encouraged. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
ผู้จัดการโปรเจค / Project managerผู้อำนวยการ / Director