Open to Internal and External Candidates
Position Title : Nurse Assistant (Surveillance)
Duty Station : Mae Sot, Thailand
Classification : General Service (G-3, THB 49,198.25 per month)
Type of Appointment : One Year Fixed-Term Contract
Initial 12 months with possibility of extension
Desired Start Date : As soon as possible
Closing Date : 16 February 2023
Reference Code : VN004/2023
Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
- ORGANIZATIONAL CONTEXT AND SCOPE:
Under the overall supervision of the Head of Sub-Office, Mae Sot, and under the direct supervision and technical guidance of the Senior Nurse, Mae Sot, the incumbent will be responsible for provision of disease surveillance, health promotion and translation duties to assist the refugees’ health assessment (HA) activities in Mae Sot and other locations as required.
- RESPONSIBILITIES AND ACCOUNTABILITIES:
The successful candidate will have the following duties and responsibilities:
- Assist nursing staff to provide active disease surveillance: monitor disease signs and symptoms daily including weekends, among the refugees staying at IOM arranged accommodation for various reasons.
- Collect data in a specified format and send them to the concerned medical team members.
- Notify IOM Infection Prevention and Control (IPC) Focal Point, Chief Migration Health Officer, Senior Nurse and/or physicians about symptomatic refugees immediately after the symptoms are detected.
- Accompany refugees to hospitals or external service providers and provide interpretation as required.
- Participate in outbreak response, when requested by IOM Infection Prevention and Control (IPC) Focal Point, nurses or physicians.
- Assist in the development and dissemination of culturally appropriate health education materials.
- Conduct health information sessions in Burmese/Karen during registration of refugees for health assessment activities.
- Assist the medical team with pre-screening processing/ triaging: measure height, weight and visual acuity;
- X-ray processing in outsourced hospital: arrange the queue, perform identity checks;
- Interpretation during history taking;
- Act as chaperone during physical examination;
- Assist with interpretation/counseling during vaccination;
- Assist with pre-departure medical activities: arrange the queue, explain the procedures, measure weight;
- Informal translation of documents into Burmese and Karen;
- Assist medical team with the counselling of resettlement beneficiaries in case of postponed departure, external referral for laboratory tests, specialist reviews, inpatient assistance and other services as required;
- Clerical duties: photocopying, scanning, arranging paperwork.
- Assist nursing staff to conduct DOT, pre-departure surveillance etc during weekends and holidays.
- If requested, assist laboratory staff with sputum collection.
- Monitor and record refrigerator temperature during the weekends and holidays.
- Liaise with the external service providers for the result of the lab tests and specialist’ reports.
- Undertake travel duties as requested.
- Perform other duties as may be assigned.
- QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- High School Degree/Certificate
- Experience of translating/ interpreting Burmese and Karen to English/Thai.
- Experience of health promotion/social mobilization is an advantage.
- Working experience with international humanitarian organizations, non-government or government institutions/organization with a multi-cultural setting is an advantage.
- Experience in working effectively and harmoniously with colleagues from varied cultures and professional backgrounds at all levels.
- Computer literate (MS office applications).
- Fluency in English, Thai, Burmese and Karen (oral and written)
- DESIRABLE COMPETENCIES:
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: Respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: Maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: Demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 1
- Teamwork: Establishes strong relationships with colleagues and partners; relates well to people at all levels.
- Delivering results: Manages time and resources efficiently, monitoring progress and making adjustments as necessary.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: Shares knowledge and learning willingly, and proactively seeks to learn from the experiences of others.
- Accountability: Takes ownership of all responsibilities within own role and honours commitments to others and to the Organization.
- Communication: Encourages others to share their views, using active listening to demonstrate openness and to build understanding of different perspectives.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment and verification of residency, visa and authorizations by the concerned Government, where applicable.
Only candidates residing in either the country of the duty station or from a location in a neighboring country that is within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered. In all cases, a prerequisite for taking up the position is legal residency in the country of the duty station, or in the neighboring country located within commuting distance, and work permit, as applicable.
How to apply:
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications to the IOM Bangkok Human Resources Unit at e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org by February 16, 2023 at the latest.
Kindly indicate the reference code VN004/2023 followed by your full name in the subject line.
Applications should include:
a) a cover letter, indicating the dates of availability;
b) a curriculum vitae;
c) a duly completed IOM Personal History Form which can be downloaded from https://thailand.iom.int/sites/g/files/tmzbdl1371/files/Vacancies/Form/iom-personal-history-form-270122.xls.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Posting period: From 02.02.2023 to 16.02.2023
ผู้ประสานงาน / Coordinatorเจ้าหน้าที่ประจำสำนักงาน / Officerผู้ช่วย / Assistantเจ้าหน้าที่ภาคสนาม / Field officer