Position Title: Mekong Communications Manager (Re-post)
Location: Chiang Mai
Reports To: Mekong Regional Director
Travel: Regional travel required
Application Deadline: Rolling until filled
EarthRights International is a nongovernmental, nonprofit organization that combines the power of law and the power of people in defense of human rights and the environment, which we define as “earth rights.” We specialize in fact-finding, legal actions, training of grassroots and community leaders, and advocacy campaigns. EarthRights seeks to defend earth rights by working closely with communities to find real solutions that promote and protect human rights and the environment. We are currently seeking a Regional Communications Manager to join our team. The position is based in Chiang Mai, Thailand and requires occasional travel throughout the region.
Reporting to the Mekong Regional Director, the Mekong Communications Manager will help develop and drive internal and external communications strategies for our Mekong programs and support our global development and communications efforts. The Mekong Communications Manager will work across the following focus areas: 1) Climate Justice and Accountability, 2) Earth Rights Defenders; 3) Corporate Accountability; and will provide creative communications strategies to progress these program aims. The manager will be responsible for the oversight and/or production of electronic/print-based communications materials and project briefs, press releases, and event planning, with strong adherence to branding guidelines. The Mekong Communications Manager will also train, mentor, and build the capacity of staff on communications tools, such as social media. The Manager will also support EarthRights’ Communications and Development programs by guiding the region’s content and communications strategies in order to elevate the public profile of our work in Southeast Asia.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Serve as communications liaison between Mekong offices and global communications team. Elevate regional work to global prominence as appropriate.
- Develop and implement a coherent, balanced and integrated communications strategy for EarthRights’ Mekong programs and projects, using various mechanisms and information distribution channels, such as reports, events, media relations, and digital and social media feeds.
- Work with program teams and the global communications team to create high quality and timely communications materials such as blogs, reports, presentations, and visual communications to tell our story and elevate our work in the Mekong region.
- Act as the brand champion for Earth Rights’ Southeast Asia office and ensure that all branding guidelines are followed and that communications products are factually accurate, high in quality, and consistent with brand standards.
- Work closely with the program teams to identify communications opportunities to promote their program areas, including publishing and distributing policy briefs and documenting success stories in a creative and audience friendly manner.
- Provide communications support to partner organizations if and when needed/requested.
- Work closely with the Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning team to publish evaluation reports and disseminate insights gained throughout our programs.
- Regularly review EarthRights’ existing web and print materials, identify gaps, and in collaboration with global communication colleagues, fill those gaps with compelling new content. Collaborate with the program team to develop content for our website and social media feeds, particularly Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.
- Develop media lists for our Mekong region and assist program teams with cultivating relationships with editors, journalists and bloggers to ensure a strong position presence in regional media outlets.
- Respond to media inquiries in a prompt and professional manner.
- Monitor coverage of key EarthRights Mekong issues in national and regional media and track mention of EarthRights media hits.
- Assist program staff in drafting and editing all public-facing materials related to EarthRights’ work.
- Monitor the impact of communication initiatives and identify ways to add value.
- Supervise the Mekong Visual Storyteller.
Qualifications and Experience
- B.A. in Communication, marketing, journalism, or related field.
- Minimum of five years of experience working in communications related roles, three of which should be in the development sector.
- Sound understanding, skills and experience with social media platforms such as Facebook and Twitter.
- Track record of producing creative and impactful communication materials.
- Ability to maintain, nurture, and develop existing and new media contacts.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English.
- An ability to get one’s message understood clearly by adopting a range of styles, tools and techniques appropriate to the audience and the nature of the information.
- An ability to work within tight deadlines and to balance often conflicting demands.
- Flexibility, adaptability, creativity and effectiveness in working collaboratively in a multicultural team.
- High analytical skills and able to represent the views and values of EarthRights.
- Excellent cross-cultural communication skills, including experience working with colleagues from across Southeast Asia and Western countries.
- A deep understanding of political and cultural dynamics and sensitivities in the Mekong region, particularly as they pertain to public-facing communication.
How To Apply
Please visit our website to apply.
Due to the volume of applications, only short listed candidates will be contacted. Interviews will be conducted on a rolling basis beginning in January until positions are filled.
EarthRights International is an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate in its hiring practices, and actively encourages people of color, women, people with disabilities, and LGBTQI people to apply.
Facebook // Twitter // Instagram
ที่ปรึกษา / Consultantผู้ประสานงาน / Coordinatorผู้จัดการโปรเจค / Project managerธุระการ / Administrative