Job Title: Environmental Health Officer – Influx project
Band / Level / Grade: 8B
Department: IRC Thailand – Health Program
Location: Mae Sot, Thailand
The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises, helping to restore health, safety, education, economic wellbeing, and power to people devastated by conflict and disaster. Founded in 1933 at the call of Albert Einstein, the IRC is at work in over 40 countries and 26 U.S. cities helping people to survive, reclaim control of their future and strengthen their communities. The IRC has been operating in Thailand since 1975 and currently provides assistance to displaced persons in Tak, Kanchanaburi, Ratchaburi and Mae Hong Son provinces.
The IRC is preparing to support the Royal Thai Government to provide humanitarian assistance should a large-scale influx of displaced persons arrive in Thailand seeking protection due to the turbulent situation in Myanmar following the 01 February 2021 military takeover.
Under supervision of Emergency Health Coordinator, the Environmental Health officer provides timely emergency effective EH response to address essential environmental health and sanitation needs of influx population affected from volatile political crisis in Myanmar. Under close supervision and support of EHC, the Emergency Environmental Health officer will undertake rapid WASH (Water, sanitation and Hygiene promotion) need assessments and implementing emergency WASH response. The Environmental health Officer will be based in Maesot, Tak province. He or she will responsible to supervise all environmental health staff of the IRC Emergency Response Team with close technical coordination and support of Senior Health Coordinator, Emergency Health Coordinator.
• Undertake detail, precise and brief need assessment report.
• Identify potential safe water supply schemes, low risk of disease transmission of sanitation facility area (toilet, washing area and waste management) to rehabilitate and maintain.
• Conduct rapid and detailed project assessment
• Assist to prepare detail Environmental Health implementation work plan for emerging emergency responses and follow the progress
• Identify, establish, and follow-up water treatment sites, toilet, washing area and solid waste management system.
• Regular record and report to supervisor.
• Prepare clear and detailed specifications for items to be procured and ensure their procurements are as per set specifications and ensure best quality and quantity constructed and maintain of WASH facilities and prepare payment for contractors as well as worker or volunteer
• Supervising and monitor worker or volunteer and ensure the accurate implementation of the same as per standards.
• Promotion of safe hygiene practices in Emergency responses which include Health Promotion activities.
• Takes additional works related with Emergency respond as assigned by supervisor.
Key Working Relationships:
Position Reports to:Emergency Health Coordinator
Position directly supervises:Emergency Influx environmental Health Team
Indirect Reporting:Clinical Officer
Other Internal Contacts:Deputy Director of Program, Health Coordinator- Refugee Program, Sr. Environmental Health Manager, Senior Awards Management Coordinator, Monitoring and Evaluation Coordinator, Regional Emergency Coordinator
Other External Contacts:Health representatives from implementing agencies and other actors, Health Sector Coordinator
• University degree in relevant field
• Proven experience in working in health program, protection in emergency is preferable.
• Good communication skill to work smoothly with colleagues from various culture and backgrounds.
• Willingness to travel to field areas.
• Highly organized, flexible, and adaptable to changing priorities and able to work well under deadlines with minimum supervision.
• Computer proficient, with experience using Microsoft Word, Excel and Power Point including online communication platform such as Zoom or Microsoft team.
• Perform other duties as assigned by the Supervisor.
Demonstrated Skills and Competencies: Capable of the following in a complex and dynamic context:
- Formulate strategies, concepts and comprehensive/evolving plans,
- Applying technical expertise to complex problems
- Competently lead and supervise actors from a range of agencies
- Make well informed and timely decisions and promptly initiate action
- Communicate well with a range of different stakeholders with sometimes competing priorities, maintaining productive relationships while finding appropriate solutions towards Health sector objectives.
- Fostering integration and teamwork.
Able to communicate effectively in spoken and written English skills and plus Karen and/or Burmese.
The position is based in the IRC Mae Sot office, with regular travel to Field offices in Tak.
Standards of Professional Conduct
The IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in the IRC Way – Code of Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, Accountability and Equality. In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Harassment-Free Workplace, Fiscal Integrity, Anti-Retaliation, Combating Trafficking in Persons and several others.
Equal Opportunity Employer.
IRC considers all applicants on the basis of merit without regard to race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability or any other characteristic protected by applicable law
Application Deadline: 23 September 2021
If you are interested, please apply via link below.
Contact : HR Department