Position Title: Carbon & Land Use Expert
Supervisor: Senior AFOLU Advisor
Type of Appointment: Full time
Location: Bangkok, Thailand
Pact strives for a world where all people are heard, capable, and vibrant. To do this, we build systemic solutions in partnership with local organizations, businesses, and governments that create sustainable and resilient communities. The USAID Green Invest Asia project helps realize this objective by working to reduce greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions through catalyzing private sector investment in the agriculture, forestry, and other land use (AFOLU) sector toward low-emissions, sustainable, and profitable business models. To achieve this, the project is:
- Identifying a pipeline of investments in land use and land management;
- Encouraging investments by banks, financial institutions, and funds into sustainable, lowemission land use management business; and
- Building a community of practice in sustainable landscape finance to tackle systemic issues that block the development and financing of lowemissions land use management.
With an expanding portfolio in sustainable coconut, cacao, coffee, rubber, rice, timber, cinnamon, and other products, we now seek additional technical expertise to help grow and manage the program.
The Carbon & Land Use Expert will be based in the Bangkok office and will play a significant role in further developing the project’s sustainable agriculture and forestry business development pipeline. The position will work in collaboration with other team members to assess investment opportunities, build and manage corporate partnerships, and deliver technical assistance to companies designing and implementing sustainable landscapes activities that are profitable, enhance sustainable land management, and contribute to reducing GHG emissions. He/she will contribute to ensuring successful functioning of project activities, including working with the Senior AFOLU Advisor and team members to ensure overall quality of project planning, production of annual work plans, operating budgets, etc. Occasional travel to/in Thailand, Cambodia, Indonesia, Philippines and Vietnam is expected for this position.
The ideal candidate has a knowledge of, and passion for, sustainable agriculture and forestry, carbon assessment and emissions reductions projects, experience working with private sector businesses, understanding of land use and climate change issues in the Southeast Asia region, and excellent management and communication skills. S/he will be responsible for (1) providing technical assistance in carbon assessment to the project and partner companies and (2) helping manage the pipeline of investment projects in sustainable land management in the AFOLU sector in Thailand, Indonesia, Cambodia, Vietnam, and the Philippines. The Carbon & Land Use Expert reports to the Senior AFOLU Advisor and collaborates with other team members as appropriate. Key responsibilities include:
Carbon Assessment and Advisory Services
- Conduct preliminary emission reductions estimates for screening potential new pipeline projects.
- Conduct corporate carbon footprinting for businesses, multinational corporations and/or financial institutions, consistent with internationally accepted standards and protocols.
- Apply carbon assessment tools such as Cool Farm and EX-ACT to quantify GHG emissions sources and mitigation opportunities.
- Support conducting portfolio-level assessments to quantify attributable emissions for banks, investment funds, and financial institutions, including support on reporting.
- Develop concept proposals in consultation with other team members for potential project clients interested in carbon accounting.
- Develop SoWs and help deliver carbon accounting tools/methodologies for clients.
- Provide other technical services as requested by client businesses or investors.
- Coordinate with Senior AFOLU Advisor, Monitoring and Reporting Advisor and other key staff regarding reporting GHG emissions reductions and carbon sequestration in project activities.
- Support the strategic planning, management, and implementation of the pipeline development process, including: screening and evaluation of investment opportunities, due diligence assessments, development of SOWs for technical assistance, and coordination with Financial Advisors and other team members.
- Provide assistance to support business development and work with other technical staff to identify promising business models and enterprises in sustainable and economically viable agriculture, forestry, and other land use sector businesses.
- Support development of database of experts and supervise consultants to deliver technical assistance.
- Support activities to enable USAID Green Invest Asia to develop relationships and secure business opportunities with prospective partners. This may include, but is not limited to, support for the preparation of market research, knowledge products, and delivery of presentations in conferences.
- Contribute to the preparation and submission of annual work plans and periodic progress reports and assist with monitoring relevant program indicators and evaluating program results.
- Contribute to maintaining a set of client contacts using SalesForce, in collaboration with the project’s Monitoring, Evaluation, and Learning Advisor and other team members.
- Support Senior AFOLU Advisor as needed with other duties.
- Advanced degree (Master’s or higher) in agricultural/natural resource economics, agriculture/forestry sciences, climate change, or other relevant subject.
- At least four years of professional experience in sustainable agriculture/forestry, carbon assessment, GHG emissions reduction projects, or related fields, preferably with private sector clients.
- Demonstrated knowledge of carbon assessments and climate mitigation strategies in the agriculture, forestry, and land use sectors, including use of multiple tools and standards such as: UNFCCC methodologies; Voluntary Carbon Standard; ISO 14067 related to GHG/carbon footprint of products; Climate, Community & Biodiversity Standards; Cool Farm Tool; EX-ACT; GHG Protocol; Gold Standard, Plan Vivo, REDD+, and others.
- Good analytical and report writing skills.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate complex scientific information from carbon assessments into easily understandable content through use of maps, graphics, tables, charts, text, etc. appropriate for the targeted audience.
- Professional knowledge of English, including strong oral and writing skills.
- Knowledge of regional and country contexts in the agriculture, forestry, and land use sectors in targeted Southeast Asian countries (Indonesia, Philippines, Cambodia, Thailand, and/or Vietnam).
- Ability to travel to targeted Southeast Asian countries (~20%)
- Must be a Thai national/citizen or Thailand-based foreign national.
How to Apply:
Interested candidates are invited to submit a cover letter, CV, and salary expectations to Pact Thailand Human Resources Unit via firstname.lastname@example.org with the position title “Carbon & Land Use Expert” in the subject line. This position will remain open until filled.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Pact is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in its selection and employment practices on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, or other non-merit factors.
Contact : email@example.com
ที่ปรึกษา / Consultant