Open to Internal and External Candidates
Position Title : Senior IM/GIS Assistant
Duty Station : Bangkok, Thailand
Classification : General Services (G-6, THB 90,432.33 per month)
Type of Appointment : Special Short-Term Contract Initial 9 months with possibility of extension
Desired Start Date : As soon as possible
Closing Date : 8 February 2023
Reference Code : SVN078/2023 (EXT)
Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
- ORGANIZATIONAL CONTEXT AND SCOPE:
Under the overall supervision of the Head of Unit, Migrant Assistant and Counter Trafficking Unit, and the direct supervision of the Information Management Officer (DTM) in Bangkok, the successful candidate will provide operational support to the establishment and implementation of Displacement Tracking Matrix (DTM) data collection and related research activities across various project sites in Thailand.
- RESPONSIBILITIES AND ACCOUNTABILITIES:
- Provide information management support to all DTM data collection operations, including assessments and surveys, in different provinces where DTM activities are implemented, as well as to data collection and research activities of other IOM units, as requested.
- Facilitate the effective use of the designated information system and other databases to collect, store and further process data.
- Assist with the effective implementation of various IM tools; including the development and roll out of Kobo-based data collection tools.
- Monitor data collection activities as per agreed timelines; prepare project status and progress reports.
- Assist with the coordination of the data collection processes and the overall data management activities including encoding, storing, and transferring data, as well as processing and analysis of the collected data and information.
- Assist with the timely preparation and generation of information products, with a focus on monitoring, cleaning and analyzing data.
- Assist in the preparation of Geographic Information Systems (GIS) mapping and other geo-spatial products.
- Assist the Reporting Officer in the preparation of reports and final products, including on data visualization and on compiling relevant data from secondary sources.
- Assist with information sharing and dissemination to all relevant channels.
- Provide technical support to the IOM programme coordinators and partners, on the design and implementation of Kobo and other information management needs.
- Travel to areas of operation to assist with field implementation, including training and monitoring as needed.
- Assist with the regular adjustment and improvement of information management processes, including by identifying gaps and solutions to existing challenges.
- Demonstrate commitment to the Prevention of Sexual Abuse and Exploitation (PSEA) and ensure mainstreaming of PSEA in flow monitoring operations.
- Perform such duties and travels as may be assigned by the direct supervisor.
- QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- School diploma with six years of relevant experience, or
- Bachelor’s degree in the field of Computer Science, Statistics, Geographic Information Systems, Economics, or related fields from an accredited academic institution with four years of relevant work experience
- Experience in the management and coordination of information flows, data management including collection, storing, processing, and analysing data to generate information products
- Experience in working effectively and harmoniously with colleagues from various cultures and professional backgrounds
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to maintain trust and good working relationship with counterparts;
- Ability to work independently, with excellent organizational and multi-tasking skills and according to clear workflows;
- Ability to work in challenging settings, under pressure while respecting tight deadlines;
- Capacity to learn and gain new competencies, while accepting/giving constructive criticism
- Personal commitment, efficiency, and flexibility;
- Strong organizational and time management skills
- Excellent analytical abilities;
- Solid understanding of the norms of professional ethics;
- Strong technical skills in Microsoft Office suite, Excel, Power BI, Kobo/ODK.
- Knowledge of GIS software (preferably QGIS or ArcGIS)
- In-depth knowledge of the latest technological developments in information technology and information system
- Ability to compile and holistically analyze diverse datasets
- Knowledge of R or other statistical analysis software desirable.
- Knowledge of Adobe Creative Cloud Suite advantageous.
- Fluency in English and Thai are required (oral and written).
- Burmese, Laotian or Cambodian is desirable.
- DESIRABLE COMPETENCIES:
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: Respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: Maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: Demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
- Teamwork: Helps create a positive team spirit, putting aside personal considerations to help the team achieve its goals
- Delivering results: Aligns projects with Organization’s mission and objectives and demonstrates a good understanding of the impact of team’s and own work on external and internal counterparts
- Managing and sharing knowledge: Builds networks for the effective communication and exchange of knowledge and ideas and puts others into contact with various sources of knowledge
- Accountability: Plans and organizes work with a clear and deliberate focus, ensuring commitments are easily identified and progress is widely communicated
- Communication: Seeks to share information with others, with due respect for diversity and the confidentiality of specific sensitive information
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment and verification of residency, visa and authorizations by the concerned Government, where applicable.
Only candidates residing in either the country of the duty station or from a location in a neighboring country that is within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered. In all cases, a prerequisite for taking up the position is legal residency in the country of the duty station, or in the neighboring country located within commuting distance, and work permit, as applicable.
How to apply:
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications to the IOM Bangkok Human Resources Unit at e-mail email@example.com by February 8, 2023 at the latest.
Kindly indicate the reference code SVN078/2023 (EXT) followed by your full name in the subject line.
Applications should include:
a) a cover letter, indicating the dates of availability;
b) a curriculum vitae;
c) a duly completed IOM Personal History Form which can be downloaded from https://thailand.iom.int/sites/g/files/tmzbdl1371/files/Vacancies/Form/iom-personal-history-form-270122.xls.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
From 25.01.2023 to 08.02.2023
ที่ปรึกษา / Consultantผู้ประสานงาน / Coordinatorผู้ช่วย / Assistantผู้จัดการโปรเจค / Project managerผู้อำนวยการ / Directorผู้บริหาร / Administrator