The ICRC Regional Delegation in Bangkok seeks to fill the following position:
Legal Adviser, based in Bangkok
We are looking for a spirited team player with a can-do attitude to join our dynamic team.
The International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) works worldwide to protect and assist people affected by conflict and violence and to promote the laws that protect victims of war. An independent, impartial and neutral organisation, the ICRC is based in Switzerland. It employs 20,000 people in 100 countries and is financed mainly by voluntary contributions from governments and national Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies. ICRC’s Regional Delegation in Bangkok covers operations in Thailand, Vietnam, Cambodia, and Laos.
The Regional Delegation in Bangkok (RBAN) is seeking a Legal Adviser to work with ICRC’s legal team in Bangkok. This position is suited to someone who has work experience in a similar position and is looking for a long-term role with opportunities for growth and development in an international humanitarian organization.
ACCOUNTABILITIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Assisting the Regional Legal Adviser (RLA) to strategize, plan and implement programs and activities to promote IHL generally, to influence stakeholders in favour of the ICRC’s legal and policy positions and to support the legal departments’ and the ICRC’s broader institutional objectives for Thailand, Vietnam, Cambodia and Laos.
- Monitoring and analysing legislative developments in the countries covered related to IHL.
- Researching and drafting legal analyses, advice, and presentations in support of RLA’s activities (legal research, training sessions, speeches, legal advice, etc).
- Delivering presentations on IHL and other humanitarian issues to a wide range of audiences, including government, academic circles, the judiciary, students, journalists, and other components of the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement.
- Liaising with key academic and government interlocutors in the countries covered regarding ICRC activities such as the IHL competitions, lectures, workshops, or other events.
- Supporting other departments in the ICRC in developing and conducting joint activities of RBAN for the countries covered.
- Assisting with the planning, preparation and execution of visits, meetings, and other events, both country level and regional events, hosted by the ICRC.
- Bachelor of Laws (or equivalent)
- A post-graduate degree in a relevant field is an asset
- Good knowledge of IHL and other applicable legal frameworks
- Excellent knowledge of Thai domestic law
- Minimum of 3-5 years of relevant work experience
- Working experience in government or the judicial sector an advantage
- Teaching or dissemination experience, including at academic level an advantage
- Experience in research, analysis, and synthesis of legal and policy texts
- Strong communicator with a demonstrated ability to explain complex issues clearly and concisely
- Demonstrated sense of initiative, autonomy, adaptability, and attention to detail
- Demonstrated capacity to set and manage priorities, and to complete assignments rapidly and efficiently to meet deadlines
- Excellent organisational and computer (MS Office) skills
- Fluency in both spoken and written Thai and English required
- Sense of team spirit, and an ability to establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with a culturally diverse and geographically dispersed team
- General interest in humanitarian issues and motivation to work for a humanitarian organization.
- Dynamic and challenging work in the humanitarian sector and international environment
- Competitive salary with benefits, good working conditions and in-house training/development
- Initial 1-year employment (resident contract) with possibility of renewal into open-ended contract
(subject to performance review)
Preferred starting date: ASAP
Submission deadline for applications: 25 February 2023
The ICRC values diversity and is committed to creating an inclusive working environment. We welcome applications from all qualified candidates, regardless of background, race, religion, gender, age, disability, or status.
Qualified applicants are requested to submit their comprehensive CV and letter of motivation in English, as well as salary expectations, following this format for the subject line: POSITION – First Name Surname by email only to: email@example.com
Kindly note that only short-listed candidates will be invited for the interview and the ICRC will not keep the files of applicants who were not shortlisted
นักกฎหมาย / Lawyer