Terms of Reference
Trainer of Trainers – construction camp standards training for Camp Managers
(PART – TIME for 4 months with opportunity to extend / become full-time, funding dependant)
Baan Dek Foundation (BDF) has been working to improve the wellbeing of vulnerable children and families in Thailand since 2002. BDF shifted its focus to assisting families from the construction sector in 2012. Since then BDF has been working with contractors, piloting solutions in construction site camps, to improve camp conditions in simple ways.
BDF’s joint research paper with UNICEF, “Building Futures in Thailand,” (2017) examined the living conditions of migrant workers living in construction site camps in Thailand and aims to contribute to the spread of good practices in the private sector. During this research project, stakeholders from all sectors (14 real estate developers, construction companies, and subcontractors; 3
government Ministries; and 20 NGOs) were interviewed to assess the condition in camps comprehensively.
The result of this research was the Chiang Mai Framework for Action (CMFA) comprised of 12 key recommendations for companies to keep camps safe and healthy for families, so that children and workers alike can thrive.
The framework was developed for companies to use for themselves, and BDF is working with UNICEF to share this framework to the wider sector, including tools for implementing the recommendations.
The timelines for this strategy are:
- Phase 1 (Nov 2016 - Oct 2018) – “Building Futures in Thailand” research: Studying the problems children and families face living in construction site camps, and developing the CMFA to address these problems.
- Phase 2 (Nov 2019 - Oct 2020) – Tool Development & Facilitation: Developing tools for the construction sector to implement the CMFA, demonstrating implementation in “demonstration sites,” assisting companies in adopting the CMFA and relevant tools with training, workshops, and on-the-job support in camps.
- Phase 3 (Nov 2021 - Oct 2022) – Adoption of the CMFA: Strengthening tools further and facilitating adoption of the CMFA by the construction sector.
To support the adoption of the CMFA and tools for implementing the recommendations, BDF is hiring a Trainer of Trainers.
The objectives for this role are to work with the Impact & Innovation Team, Company Engagement Team, construction companies, Real Estate Developers and families in camps, to:
- Develop the current training content into a more scalable format, adding technical insight and expertise around content and format
- Run training sessions and workshops with construction company staff on the standards and tools to implement standards
- Act as a Management Consultant to company staff while they pilot the tool, and help the Impact & Innovation to obtain feedback and insight from company staff on how the tools could be improved
- Regularly visit the camps with the Baan Dek Social Advisor team (who are experienced in implementing these camp standards) to support on-the-job training for company staff new to using the standard and tools
- June: onboarding Trainer of Trainer: getting to know camp standards benchmarks, tools to support companies to improve camp conditions, and training plans for company staff to adopt these standards and tools. Preferred if applicant can be available at least 4 days per week for the first month of employment to undergo mandatory Child Protection and lifeskill training– negotiable timings.
- July: further develop training curriculum with Trainer of Trainer, based on their insight and coordination with relevant stakeholders.
- August- September: start running systematic training for construction company staff.
- August 2020 onwards: on-hand support for company staff implementing standards using tools
- Available at least 2 days per week, reporting in person directly into the Director of Advocacy and Engagement in the Bangkok office in Ekkamai
- Work closely with the Bangkok programs team of Social Advisors (social workers), the Program Manager of Bangkok programs in camps, the children and workers in camps, camp leaders and Camp Managers, to understand how improvements can be made in practice
- Work closely with the Impact & Innovation team to evaluate, on an ongoing basis, how the standards and tools could be improved to better meet the needs of companies, their workers and the workers’ families
- Provide recommendations to the Senior Management Team of Baan Dek on how to improve engagement, training and piloting process
- Demonstrable experience developing and facilitating successful workshops (2 years minimum)
- Understanding of the construction sector in Thailand
- Fluency in Thai and English
How to Apply:
Please email your CV and cover letter, including your daily rate range / quote for the work, to tanaporn@baandekfoundation, K Ploy, Director of Advocacy & Engagement and email@example.com K Hat, Impact & Innovation Manager. Interviews will be held on a rolling basis, so apply sooner to increase chances of success.
Contact : tanaporn@baandekfoundation, firstname.lastname@example.org
ผู้ประสานงาน / Coordinatorนักพัฒนาโครงการ / Creative content developerเจ้าหน้าที่ภาคสนาม / Field officer