Plan International Thailand Job Advertisement:
Project Officer - Young Health Program
Plan International is an international humanitarian, child-centered development organization, advancing children’s rights and equality for girls.
Position: Project Officer - Young Health Project
Assignment duration: Fixed Term 1 Year contract with possibility of extension
Duty station: Bangkok
The Young Health Project (YHP) aims to support the health rights and wellbeing of young people (10-24) in marginalised communities worldwide through research, advocacy and on-the-ground Projects which are focused on the prevention of non-communicable diseases (NCDs). Since 2010 Plan International has implemented the YHP in Zambia, Brazil, India, Kenya, Indonesia, Vietnam and Myanmar
With a commitment to support and defend the health, wellbeing and rights of young people, Plan International is proposing an expansion of the global YHP into the city of Bangkok, Thailand. Here, NCDs pose a significant threat and the Project will aim to prevent or reduce the risk behaviours which can lead to NCDs, as well as supporting the broader health and rights of young people
The YHP follows the internationally recognized 5x5 model, which draws a link between 5 main NCD risk factors (tobacco use, harmful use of alcohol, unhealthy diet, physical inactivity and air pollution) and 5 main NCDs (cardiovascular diseases, type 2 diabetes, cancer, chronic respiratory diseases and mental health). In this model, the YHP focuses on the risk factors among young people with the aim to prevent NCDs.
In addressing the health needs of young people, the YHP takes a holistic approach which mainstreams gender equality, sexual and reproductive health and rights and mental health. Given the significant cross over and influence of these areas on NCD risk behaviours, and since these areas are fundamental barriers to young people leading healthy lives, creating positive changes in the lives and health of young people requires an approach in which these areas are addressed and challenged. . The Project will engage strategies including youth empowerment through peer education, community mobilization, health service strengthening and advocacy.
The YHP in Thailand is part of a larger global Project; there are currently YHP Projects in Brazil, India, Indonesia, Kenya, Vietnam and Myanmar, and the number of countries continues to grow. Although each country has a context specific Project, all YHPs have the same thematic focus on NCD prevention with a holistic approach to young people’s health and all follow the same Theory of Change. The larger partnership is managed by the Plan office in the UK and the Thailand Project Manager will be part of a global group and exchange ideas and learning with other YHP managers in other countries on a regular basis.
- Closely working with the YHP Project Coordinator and the project staff of implementing partners to achieve positive and productive implementation of the YHP project according to its KPIs and to ensure that young people in Bangkok have increased knowledge about risk behaviors and NCD prevention, which gives them greater capacity to make decisions about their health, in the context of improved health services, an enabling support system and policy environment.
- To support the project staff of implementing partners in introducing clear guidance about core approaches of the YHP model.
- To support the project staff of implementing partners during the implementation of application process of peer education model to obtain clear and correct information on issues of NCDs, as well as integrate cross-cutting issues such as gender equality, SRHR, mental health into Project activities.
- Mobilise communities (teachers, families, local leaders) and other key stakeholders important to the attainment of the aims of the project
- Network with schools and other institutions with spaces that can host project stakeholders for the duration of the project
- Undertake monitoring of project activities, do follow-up and provide feed-back to the Project Manager and Project Coordinator to enable requisite adjustment in strategy to deliver results.
- To support the YHP Project Manager and Project Coordinator during implementing process of all the Project activities at the level of implementation by Plan and/or by partners (Baseline, end line, cross learning and sharing).
- Maintain effectively communication system and ensure information flow between project and relevant stakeholders and parties.
- To support the YHP Project Manager and Project Coordinator in working with national partners as Ministry of Health (MOH), Ministry of Education for an enabling policy environment which supports NCD prevention and promotes broader adolescent health, in particular tasks related to the level of implementation by Plan and/or by partners.
- Work closely with the YHP Project coordinator to collect, analyse the information on Project theme, identify and participate in operational research related to the Project in particular tasks related to the level of implementation by Plan and/or by partners.
- Work closely with the other YHP team member to ensure that the workshops, trainings and meeting with partners, stakeholders, and donor have planned, organized, arranged and managed properly.
- Any other duties as reasonable requested by supervisors and in line with organizational priorities
Qualifications and experience
- A degree in Development Studies, Public health, Social Science, or any other relevant qualification;
- Demonstrated knowledge in community development tools: participatory approaches, effective facilitation, community empowerment and youth empowerment
- Demonstrated knowledge of gender approach, gender based violence, child rights, and inclusion
- Affinity to work with and for young people on improving their health and well-being
- Good oral and written communication skills in English as an advantage
- Possess strong computer, and writing skills
- Ability to function efficiently and effectively with minimum day-to-day supervision
- Willingness to travel to Project implementing area on a frequent basis
- At least one year of practical experience in working with implementing partners, government partners and local NGOs
- At least 2 years of experience in on-site project implementation
- At least 2 years of experience working with children and youth
- Demonstrated skills in analysis and problem solving
How to apply:
Interested candidates who meet the above requirements are required to submit a motivational letter, a comprehensive CV and details of at least 3 referees via E-mail only to: email@example.com
Closing date for applications: 29 March 2020
Reference & background checks will be performed for successful candidates including clearances on child related offences in conformity with Plan’s Child Protection Policy. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Contact : PREEDEE.ITTIPONG@PLAN-INTERNATIONAL.ORG
เจ้าหน้าที่ประจำสำนักงาน / Officer